U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 05:20 AM

1,794 posts, read 969,435 times

Advertisements

I just started following every major character I can on Instagram and Twitter. I haven't done an exhaustive back search of their posts but nothing I see indicates anything one way or another.
I also opened a Reddit account. That is just social media starting rumors and trying to connect dots that sometimes don't exist.
I roll back to the point that none of the major websites that cover TV, movies, and celebrities seem aware that season 6 was the end. I find that very odd if it's as official as you suggest.
While there is no season 7 announcement that isn't alarming or an indication one way or another. Season 6 filming didn't end that long ago and broadcasting will stretch in to 2020.
I'm not saying there will be a season 7 I'm just questioning your contention that season 6 is officially the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 06:29 AM

13,839 posts, read 11,007,800 times
This is the History Channel? I really wonder if any part of this series is based on history? Of course we had crazy kings and rulers; but where is the narration to explain what we know happened and what was simply creative writing?

I have a very hard time with channels that claim they will give us the weather and instead give us weather stories. Or science fiction stations that give us adventure movies. Or discovery channels that give us street outlaws and moonshiners. I guess I just wished they followed their original mission.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
This is the History Channel? I really wonder if any part of this series is based on history? Of course we had crazy kings and rulers; but where is the narration to explain what we know happened and what was simply creative writing?

In my admittedly limited research what historians know about actual Viking people is very limited. Nobody was writing history down at that point in time and place. So called Saga's were told and retold but not written down for 200-300-400 years after the fact. The content and accuracy of those Saga's is very debatable by modern historians. So while archaeology can give some accurate idea of day to day life whether the Ragnars, Ivars etc existed or were compilations or fictions is hard to say 100%.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:15 PM

2,614 posts, read 3,881,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
I just started following every major character I can on Instagram and Twitter. I haven't done an exhaustive back search of their posts but nothing I see indicates anything one way or another.
I also opened a Reddit account. That is just social media starting rumors and trying to connect dots that sometimes don't exist.
I roll back to the point that none of the major websites that cover TV, movies, and celebrities seem aware that season 6 was the end. I find that very odd if it's as official as you suggest.
While there is no season 7 announcement that isn't alarming or an indication one way or another. Season 6 filming didn't end that long ago and broadcasting will stretch in to 2020.
I'm not saying there will be a season 7 I'm just questioning your contention that season 6 is officially the end.
A lot of the behind the scenes people that work on the show have said it is finished. There is also a brief video of Hirst's last speech. It has been said by a few people so I'm just repeating what I've read on other sites. The show is done in advance and the last seasons were already confirmed by this time of year well in advance. Take of it what you will. Too many people have said the show has been wrapped up. If this is all rumour it should become clear in the next month or two.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:17 PM

12,173 posts, read 8,430,535 times
Ok--its been 2 days. Sooo.....(spoilers below)

Looks like Ubbe has fully embraced Alfred and Christianity huh?

Where did Lagertha go? And to just up and leave without telling Bjorn

So the Bishop is worm food..probably the most epic death scene in History..lol

Wow..Judith the dungeon master? Where did she perfect her torture techniques?

I actually miss Margareth...

What was your impression?

Old 12-28-2018, 02:27 PM

15,437 posts, read 20,070,256 times
Quote:
In my admittedly limited research what historians know about actual Viking people is very limited. Nobody was writing history down at that point in time and place. So called Saga's were told and retold but not written down for 200-300-400 years after the fact. The content and accuracy of those Saga's is very debatable by modern historians. So while archaeology can give some accurate idea of day to day life whether the Ragnars, Ivars etc existed or were compilations or fictions is hard to say 100%.
This story is taking place in the 9th century --- well into the period of recorded history. While there are no surviving records from the Norse themselves (who didn't keep written records until they were Christianized), there are LOTS of accounts of the Norse from other sources. Lots history written by Christians of Western Europe. The 10th century account of the Persian explorer Ibn Rustah is fascinating.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
This story is taking place in the 9th century --- well into the period of recorded history. While there are no surviving records from the Norse themselves (who didn't keep written records until they were Christianized), there are LOTS of accounts of the Norse from other sources. Lots history written by Christians of Western Europe. The 10th century account of the Persian explorer Ibn Rustah is fascinating.
I didn't make that up. Please note I said "Nobody was writing history down at that point in time and place. "

The "LOTS of accounts of the Norse from other sources" came decades and centuries later AND were mostly written by Christian writers who wrote from an adversarial view having experienced the Vikings as enemies.
I could give you plenty of links from legitimate sources that will say what I said. Here is just one.

BBC - History - Ancient History in depth: How do we know about the Vikings?

Old 12-29-2018, 11:15 AM

15,437 posts, read 20,070,256 times
Quote:
I didn't make that up. Please note I said "Nobody was writing history down at that point in time and place. "
England? Ireland? What would later become France? Yeah, there were people writing about the Vikings in the 9th century. Not a ton of it has survived the ensuing centuries, but some has. There were definitely monks, scholars, and others writing about the Vikings in the 9th century (as even the link you provided points out).

Scandinavia? No, not so much there. Norse culture was still mostly runic at that point in time, and they weren't using the futhark to compose history texts.

Old 12-30-2018, 03:42 AM

2,614 posts, read 3,881,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Ok--its been 2 days. Sooo.....(spoilers below)

Looks like Ubbe has fully embraced Alfred and Christianity huh?

Where did Lagertha go? And to just up and leave without telling Bjorn

So the Bishop is worm food..probably the most epic death scene in History..lol

Wow..Judith the dungeon master? Where did she perfect her torture techniques?

I actually miss Margareth...

What was your impression?
While I do agree that Alfred is the best choice for King I think Judith treats Aethelred terrible. I think he has redeemed himself by saving Alfred so I hope he doesn't get killed. Judith though was a terrible mother to Aethelred and a terrible wife to Aethelwulf.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:48 PM

1,415 posts, read 822,789 times
I want Judith to tell Bjorn that Alfred is Athelstan's son; since Bjorn is one of the only characters left who remembers Athelstan, before the series ends...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or