U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 03:27 PM

38,443 posts, read 17,901,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
And the funny thing is, Magnus had a stronger claim to the throne of Wessex than Alfred did..after all, he was the son of Aethelwulf, wheres Alfred is the son of Athelstan
I believe that you are actually referencing Æthelred, Alfred's half brother. In the show he allowed Alfred to take the throne despite his superior claim as the elder son. In real life Æthelred actually preceded Alfred as King for a brief time.

Magnus was the illegitimate son of Ragnar Lothbrok, and as such had no claim to any throne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 03:37 PM

12,228 posts, read 8,465,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I believe that you are actually referencing Æthelred, Alfred's half brother. In the show he allowed Alfred to take the throne despite his superior claim as the elder son. In real life Æthelred actually preceded Alfred as King for a brief time.

Magnus was the illegitimate son of Ragnar Lothbrok, and as such had no claim to any throne.
If I recall, Queen Kwinthereth claimed Magnus was the son of Ragnar, but Ragnar told Ecbert he never had relations with her, and thats why Ecbert had the kid banished from Wessex..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsYXBKRCc7c

Old 01-31-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
If I recall, Queen Kwinthereth claimed Magnus was the son of Ragnar, but Ragnar told Ecbert he never had relations with her, and thats why Ecbert had the kid banished from Wessex..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsYXBKRCc7c
Oh, so he wasn't Ragnar's. How do we know he was Aethelwulf's son?

Old 01-31-2019, 05:48 PM

3,101 posts, read 2,121,667 times
Is Magnus and Ivar's wife dead, did the battle scene actually happen, or was this Bjorn's dream?
I didn't understand this episode. What the hell actually happened?

Old 01-31-2019, 06:05 PM

20,746 posts, read 8,757,885 times
This segment of the season is getting better. Thought it started out rather weak.

And WTF is Floki doing in Iceland, besides.....nothing? Totally wasted air-time and not relevant at all.

Floki has always been a fascinating character and they exiled him to Iceland with an extremely dysfunctional group of people. They really could have cut the whole depressing Iceland plot--it would not be missed---it was like two separate programs.

One character I really really miss is Rollo. What happened to him and his French kingdom? Would much rather be watching a plot line with Rollo and Bjorn, than the England settlement or Ivar abusing everyone he comes into contact with. I think they got a little lost this season.

Also Ragnar was such a strong magnetic character--I think they have had a hard time with a direction since they killed him off. He was nowhere near the monster that Ivar is. It really was never the same after he died.

It is still one of the better programs on cable, but I do think they went off course this season.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:10 PM

20,746 posts, read 8,757,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
I have seen no indication that season 6 is the end. Vikings is a cash cow for the History Channel. I doubt they are in a hurry to get rid of it. The article link is 10 months old. And Hirst could work on two different shows depending on his responsibility.
They still have a 6th season listed on IMDB, but that was always intended to be the last. Still-they've been doing 20 shows per season. That's twice as many as most programs.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Is Magnus and Ivar's wife dead, did the battle scene actually happen, or was this Bjorn's dream?
I didn't understand this episode. What the hell actually happened?
Bjorn actually defeated Ivar and was declared the new King of Kattegat, but Ivar escaped, how we don't know.

The dream sequence was a warning that though momentarily triumphant, the war was far from over for Bjorn. Make of that what you will, I've always hated the segments which dealt with spiritualism and prophecies and so forth. The voodoo stuff seems to actually work, which is tolerable in a fantasy series like Game of Thrones, but not really justifiable in what is supposed to be a history based series. Are the producers trying to make us think that Odin and Thor were really gods?

Old 02-01-2019, 04:06 AM

3,101 posts, read 2,121,667 times
If Floki was in Iceland, then how was he able to talk to Bjorn at the end - and the seer was also talking to Bjorn?

Old 02-01-2019, 09:42 AM

42,747 posts, read 34,200,712 times
I'm pleased with it overall. Will definitely watch the next season.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:01 AM

1,824 posts, read 987,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
If Floki was in Iceland, then how was he able to talk to Bjorn at the end - and the seer was also talking to Bjorn?
My interpretation was that was Bjorn remembering flashbacks and/or having a "vision".
In the opening scene of season 1 episode 1 Ragnar "saw" Odin take a dead Viking to Valhalla. So from the very beginning "visions", "dreams", "hallucinations" whatever you want to call them have been part of the show.

Last edited by craig11152; 02-01-2019 at 11:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or