Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 10:02 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,621,740 times

Advertisements

We are 2 episodes in so far. What is your take on the characters, especially Floki, Lagertha, and Ivar?

I find it difficult to believe that Bjorn and Co would be so easily forced to travel to England and ask Alfred for help..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 10:42 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
The writing on VIKINGS is very uneven in all the seasons. They will have a great episode followed by a mediocre episode followed by an awful episode. When it is good, it's one of the greatest shows on TV. When it is bad, it's one of the worst shows on TV.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:30 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,248,808 times
My wife and I are still enjoying the show although, as I mentioned before, it was at its best when Ragnar and Lagertha as a couple were the two key characters as far as we are concerned.
I like the Floki character but this whole "Island of the Gods" thing is not very compelling. It's almost like Michael Hirst, the writer and creator, likes the Floki character, isn't ready to kill him off, but ran out of good ideas for him so he stuck him on an Island with some malcontents to fill in a few minutes of every episode.
As to the gang in England I will wait and see what the plan is there...hopefully not another Floki on an Island thing.
As long as Lagertha is alive I'm on board. When she dies all bets are off for me.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:52 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,540 times
I see that they have finally given her gray hair, but by now, Lagertha would be a very old woman. The "bishop" doesn't appear to be very old.
With Floki, I THINK that the writers are trying to show the beginnings of Iceland. He should also be pretty old.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:39 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,621,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The writing on VIKINGS is very uneven in all the seasons. They will have a great episode followed by a mediocre episode followed by an awful episode. When it is good, it's one of the greatest shows on TV. When it is bad, it's one of the worst shows on TV.
I am most disappointed in how they are portraying Ivar. He used to be such a highly intelligent young man with ambition to an infantile jerk.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:30 AM

7,367 posts, read 5,480,532 times
I’m still watching but it’s not as good as past seasons. I miss Ragnar. It’s odd that they’ve aged Lagertha, that wig on her looks like a dead goat. But Judith looks like Alfred’s sister instead of his mother. They haven’t aged anyone else either.

I find the story of Floki on his island of misfit whiny Vikings boring.

And I doubt that the young Princess who’s suppose to marry Alfred would have run around unchaperoned in that time and then willing give up her virginity to Bjorn.

I’ve never liked Ivar, I think he’s insane. He really thinks that licking blood would make his wife pregnant?

Old 12-07-2018, 08:07 AM

271 posts, read 247,952 times
From the previews it looks like Ivar is going totally crazy. He's a bit nuts anyway but maybe going over the edge. The story line of Lagertha and the Bishop I think is interesting. And Floki and the Iceland story is dragging. But I'll keep watching it.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:13 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,248,808 times
Didn't Lagertha's hair turn white virtually overnight after the last battle?
I don't think that was an effort to age her so much as something to do with stress or some such thing.
This is from an Entertainment Weekly Q&A with Michael Hirst...
Quote:
EW:In the last shot of her in the episode, it looks like her hair has turned white!
Hirst:It has turned white. The psychological impact is yet to be worked through. That’s a story in itself, Lagertha’s breakdown.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:57 AM

2,919 posts, read 1,983,944 times
I recall really enjoying the show the first couple of seasons. Believe it was around season three I fell away from it. After they went to England I didn't like it as much. Plus, I recall whatever service I was using on Roku to watch it was playing games - either too many commercials or stopped showing the episodes. It's been awhile. When I finally had access to it again without cable I decided not to bother finding where I left off, too many despicable characters. Ragnar and his wife made the series great in the beginning. From what someone else posted it sounds like he's no longer on it.

Old 12-08-2018, 01:34 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
When the show has concluded, I think that it will be universally recognized that the program went rocketing over the shark when they decided to make Ragnar a junkie. Ragnar was the center of the show and all else was in orbit. Suddenly he was made into a non-interesting character and he never recovered.

Passing the program onto the next generation and making the what-the-hell's-his-motive-this-time Ivar the center of things, has been a slow entertainment leak.

It remains watchable in parts, and tedious in others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV