U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 10:37 AM

13,932 posts, read 7,879,017 times

Advertisements

This stupid "update" is the worst I have ever dealt with. The interface is still incredibly hard to use, but now, it's glitchier than when it was first released. My recordings keep disappearing. I'll go to watch something, turn the TV on, and POOF! gone. Turn the TV off and back on and it's still gone. If I reset the receiver it comes back, but that's very slow and the if I want to record something the time isn't set yet because it still has to load. I have plenty of storage (at least 40%). When I delete a show, if I'm not careful, it will back out of that show's list and delete something completely different. I am ready to cancel. After the update was first released, I got a discount for 12 months. When that's over, I'm going to another company. Is anyone else having these problems? I called the company, and they just say they are releasing a patch eventually and to keep resetting the receiver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 11:18 AM

2,107 posts, read 2,830,589 times
thank you at&t for taking a perfectly fine product/company & destroying it

Old 12-07-2018, 11:40 AM

1,394 posts, read 895,369 times
Is this the HD upgrade Directv is pushing on us? I've heard others complaining too.

I hv a question, sorry Im going to use your post for a second....
I have yet to do this, because none of my tv's are HD compatible. They're old. They've let me slide for awhile, allowing me to go out and buy a new tv. But I'm not. Can't afford it.

So, I wonder what happens next. May 2019 is the deadline.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
Is this the HD upgrade Directv is pushing on us? I've heard others complaining too.

I hv a question, sorry Im going to use your post for a second....
I have yet to do this, because none of my tv's are HD compatible. They're old. They've let me slide for awhile, allowing me to go out and buy a new tv. But I'm not. Can't afford it.

So, I wonder what happens next. May 2019 is the deadline.
They will eventually force the update on you and you can't opt out. I got it in May 2018. Even without the glitches, I never got used to the new design. With most updates on every device, I get used to the changes even if I didn't care for them. With this one, I have never gotten used to it. The new design has made every task more difficult, taken more steps to accomplish, and the print on the interface is a much smaller font and hard to read.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:07 PM

3,816 posts, read 4,393,830 times
Sorry to hear you are having issues. While I'm not in love with the update/changes they've made over the last year, I'm not having any of the problems you are. You might have a receiver going bad. Almost everything you describe can be attributed to a bad receiver/Genie.

I still wonder what idiot thinks some of their UI changes are an improvement. I'd pay good money to sit down with their head UI designer and ask questions for an hour. I promise you'd see an update come out before long.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:30 PM

7,310 posts, read 7,814,705 times
I am not a fan of the new GUI at all. I have actually had some of the problems the OP has stated. For example, we record "Naked and Afraid". Even though it is set up to only record new episodes it will still record the 3hr reruns (because of the way they are listed in the guide). That is fine but when I went to delete those it would delete the episode and then when the screen comes back it was in the list of the wife's "RHOC". I would go back to the list of "Naked and Afraid" delete another one and it would jump back to "RHOC".

It has gotten very easy to delete the wrong thing if you are moving too fast.

I have also had situations where recordings have disappeared only to show back up later.

Now I have been with Directv since 2001 so I am not new to their products but this GUI is a horrible mess.

Dont even get me started on the new(ish) "peanut" remote that removed the "stop" button.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:33 PM

1,394 posts, read 895,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
They will eventually force the update on you and you can't opt out. I got it in May 2018. Even without the glitches, I never got used to the new design. With most updates on every device, I get used to the changes even if I didn't care for them. With this one, I have never gotten used to it. The new design has made every task more difficult, taken more steps to accomplish, and the print on the interface is a much smaller font and hard to read.

Well, that doesn't sound like very much fun.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Sorry to hear you are having issues. While I'm not in love with the update/changes they've made over the last year, I'm not having any of the problems you are. You might have a receiver going bad. Almost everything you describe can be attributed to a bad receiver/Genie.

I still wonder what idiot thinks some of their UI changes are an improvement. I'd pay good money to sit down with their head UI designer and ask questions for an hour. I promise you'd see an update come out before long.
I don't think that's the case. Many customers are having these exact same issues, and none of these problems happened until the new GUI was released. I agree with your second sentiment. Who are these engineers that release these updates? Do they even conduct test runs of these systems first?

Old 12-08-2018, 08:10 AM

5,619 posts, read 5,404,625 times
Yikes thank you for the warning.

However, if they have an upgrade you will probably have to get it in order for your TV to work properly.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:26 AM

10,806 posts, read 11,992,104 times
The gripe I have about Directv especially since AT&T took over is every month it seems by bill goes up, their web page is horrible to navigate and there's lots of pixilation in the HD now. And they don't carry my local channels. Been a DTV customer for over 10 years, and am canceling it and going to IPTV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV