Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 01:14 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Which makes perfect sense, if you think it through. General product ads run a lot of places, inlcuding broadcast, and have to conform to the FCC rules about relative volume level. It's not worth making a separate version that shouts, and - just perhaps - the manufacturers are more sensitive to complaints about this stupid gambit than the channel operators.

It was one of those stupid marketing tricks that became universal until sufficient complaints made the FCC step in. Of course, the broadcasters got around it by including short bursts of VERY LOUD AUDIO in the content, since the ad content was pegged to a complex "average" of the level of the program. There was a short time when it was positively absurd, with shows like "Murder, She Wrote" squeezing in a loud succession of gunshots just so they could keep ad audio level higher.

Right I know about the FCC complaints but when you think about it their ads for their own shows run everywhere too. You'd think they wouldnt remix those just for their streaming service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 01:17 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Right I know about the FCC complaints but when you think about it their ads for their own shows run everywhere too. You'd think they wouldnt remix those just for their streaming service.
My point, which I failed to nail down, is that they have more control over their own promos - and still believe this One Secret Trick You Won't Believe works. Most conglomerates long ago learned otherwise (and are using truly secret tricks we won't grasp until they're obsolete).

Old 12-08-2018, 01:26 PM

17,739 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
From the 70's and 80's! the complete series!

The $6 million dollar man
The Bionic Woman
Knight Rider
Xena

plus many others! played with occasional commercials, but who cares..I was so stoked to see Steve Austen and Jaime Sommers fighting Sasquatch in the California mountains, Seeing Kitt vs Karr, and watching Xena save the world..

go check it out!
Where are you seeing this stuff? I must be missing something because I'm only finding Friday Night Lights, House, Saved by the Bell, and Heroes.

Please post a link.

Old 12-08-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Where are you seeing this stuff? I must be missing something because I'm only finding Friday Night Lights, House, Saved by the Bell, and Heroes.

Please post a link.
Ten seconds flat, and I don't even care: https://www.nbc.com/shows/classic-throwback.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:14 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

Please post a link.
Quote:
Ten seconds flat, and I don't even care: https://www.nbc.com/shows/classic-throwback.
Thanks for that.

Its odd the selectiion of shows they include..Xena was never an NBC show, neither was Bionic Woman. I think that ran on CBS during its original run. Not that I am complaining..I am just finishing season 1

Old 12-08-2018, 02:24 PM

17,739 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Thanks. Nice to see Hulk on there.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Its odd the selectiion of shows they include..Xena was never an NBC show, neither was Bionic Woman. I think that ran on CBS during its original run. Not that I am complaining..I am just finishing season 1
It's the result of media conglomeration, especially if you're talking about shows 20-40 years old. For instance, the new widescreen cut of MASH runs with a Fox attribution, and the Fox channels didn't even exist in 1983. Most shows belong to the studios that produced them, with certain rights locked up by the network that bought and showed them, and those rights revert eventually. So NBC probably bought or acquired a couple of production companies and all their assets.

It does mean a lot of short-run shows get locked up in the vaults, too valuable to just release and not worth any reasonable licensing fees. A little less so these days as streaming's voracious maw needs feeding.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:31 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Quote:
It's the result of media conglomeration, especially if you're talking about shows 20-40 years old. For instance, the new widescreen cut of MASH runs with a Fox attribution, and the Fox channels didn't even exist in 1983. Most shows belong to the studios that produced them, with certain rights locked up by the network that bought and showed them, and those rights revert eventually. So NBC probably bought or acquired a couple of production companies and all their assets.

It does mean a lot of short-run shows get locked up in the vaults, too valuable to just release and not worth any reasonable licensing fees. A little less so these days as streaming's voracious maw needs feeding.
Tell me about it--I want my "Momma's family"! and "Adam 12"

Old 12-08-2018, 02:47 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Tell me about it--I want my "Momma's family"! and "Adam 12"
“Adam-12” airs on COZI TV. I get it as an OTA channel.
“Mama’s Family” airs on MeTV, also OTA.

https://www.cozitv.com/shows/weekday...287138561.html
https://www.metv.com

Old 12-08-2018, 03:43 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Thanks for that.

"Bionic Woman" was an NBC show. Season 1 and 2 were on ABC. They cancelled it and NBC picked it up for season 3. This is why Steve Austin wasnt seen on the show after season 2. ABC wouldnt allow it but allowed Richard Anderson (Oscar Goldman) and Martin E Brooks (Rudy Wells) which is why they appear.

Interestingly it was the first time an actor starred in two shows on different networks at the same time

"Xena" was produced by Universal Television later NBC Universal so while it didnt air on NBC they own it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV