Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 12:32 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Designing Women
Bewitched
Green Acres
The Nanny
Gilmore Girls
Golden Girls
Sanford and Son
All In The Family
Soap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 12:39 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Good suggestions.

I am dismayed to find that many older Hulu series are stripped down - Taxi is missing about a third of its episodes, including most of the highly-regarded ones. (No, that won't make me go buy the DVDs, guys.)

I am squee to find that Hill Street Blues is finally available - we watched the first season on DVD and then poor sales meant no more were being issued. I only do this search for new material every year or so, so I missed the full release on Hulu whenever it happened. And, of course, both Netflix and Hulu stopped being useful to browse several years ago. You know enough to make specific searches, or you go Oh Look Squirrels at what they choose to present you.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:33 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
If you can find it, I would recommend Sports Night. It's not about sports, that's the show they worked on within the show. One of the best comedies ever done but couldn't find a solid time slot. It is quite fast and cerebral. Very witty.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:27 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
If you can find it, I would recommend Sports Night. It's not about sports, that's the show they worked on within the show. One of the best comedies ever done but couldn't find a solid time slot. It is quite fast and cerebral. Very witty.
Sports Night is my favorite half-hour show of all time (I don't call it a comedy). My intro to Peter Krause, Josh Charles, and Felicity Huffman.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Sports Night is my favorite half-hour show of all time (I don't call it a comedy). My intro to Peter Krause, Josh Charles, and Felicity Huffman.
It was also Aaron Sorkin's entree into television, where he went on to develop The West Wing and The Newsroom, for starters. Brilliant guy.

Factoid: After Sports Night was dropped by ABC (who had no clue how to market a show that smart), several cable networks stepped forward to pick it up. Sorkin turned them all down, as he wanted to concentrate on his new project, The West Wing.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0815070/

Old 12-10-2018, 01:38 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
It was also Aaron Sorkin's entree into television, where he went on to develop The West Wing and The Newsroom, for starters. Brilliant guy.

Factoid: After Sports Night was dropped by ABC (who had no clue how to market a show that smart), several cable networks stepped forward to pick it up. Sorkin turned them all down, as he wanted to concentrate on his new project, The West Wing.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0815070/
They should have made Sports Night an hour long. It really wasn't a sitcom.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Even Sorkin conceded that. It went too deep to wrap up in 1/2 hour.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:01 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Check out the "4400"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389564/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Old 12-10-2018, 06:27 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Quote:

No, it really wasn't a sitcom. At least, not the way we generally think of one. They listed it as a comedy but I considered it more of a dramedy. Funny but thought provoking at the same time.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:12 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I know the general question is asked often, but I'm just looking for a few quick jogs of memory and hoping to find another series worth binging. I am very selective in what new TV I watch and in the last couple of years it's been nice to have something lightweight and familiar and short to watch in the late evenings. I've run out of shows I am familiar with.

I just finished MASH, after Cheers and Frasier. (Those long-runs took me almost two years.) Another half-hour show of reasonably intelligent adult comedy would be nice. I don't do most sitcom, family comedies, animated or stupidity-as-humor. A lot of the shows I would move on to aren't on open streaming (Night Court, John Larroquette Show, a couple others I am forgetting at the moment.) It would take something truly exceptional for me to pay for it on Vudu or Amazon.

The only other thing I binge is sf - regularly rewatch Babylon 5, and have watched through all the Treks except TNG, which I found tedious in the day and is now tedious and dated. Watched the BSG remake (watched the story line go off the rails, mostly). Hour-long stuff is nice but I prefer smaller bites for my late evening watching.

So:
a half hour show
with a reasonable number of seasons
in a general adult/comedy/dramedy vein
that's on open streaming (NF, Hulu, Prime etc.)
that I've missed?

Thanks.
Have you seen "Blackadder" or "The Thick of It"?

Both are half-hour British comedies with several seasons.
"The Thick of It' is available on Hulu, "Blackadder" is on BritBox.

Related to "The Thick of It" is "Veep" originally on HBO, still available on HBO Now, and also streaming on Prime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV