Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 10:07 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,359,123 times

Advertisements

We subscribe to Verizon FIOS for Cable and Internet. We have three Verizon boxes for the rooms with a tv. I just bought each of my kids a Samsung Smart TV for their bedrooms but they are upstairs and have no cable wire going to their rooms. The way this house is built (split level), there is no way to get a cable wire to their rooms without opening up a major wall.

Shouldn’t I be able to watch FIOS Cable on these TVs somehow? We can watch it on all of our phones and iPads using the FIOS app. I thought there would be a way to get that app on the new Samsung TV but I cannot figure it out. I have no interest in paying for any additional services such as Netflix. We watch very little tv and have no interest in any of their series. i have Amazon Prime but they can’t watch shows like Sponge Bob for free.

The only thing I can think of is getting our iPads to mirror to the tv. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 11:55 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Cable, as in cable TV, is an encrypted service these days to prevent piracy (and control level of access to things like premium channels). It requires a decryption box of some kind, which can be the boxes you have or a card that inserts directly into the TV.

You can get Xfinity service through a streaming app. I don't know about Verizon. The whole explosion in streaming in the last few years comes from an FCC decision that requires cable companies to provide their services without hardware dependence. Only a few of the major providers actually have full service available without cable boxes.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:23 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,359,123 times
But the fact that Verizon Fios has its own app, it allows us to watch any of our channels on our handheld devices, anywhere we have a WiFi signal. So, no descrambler boxes are needed. Instead of watching on on an iPad, I want to watch on a smart tv, which is technically a larger iPad. Apparently, the Fios app was available for Samsung TVs in the past but they have since ended it. So, it is possible without a box.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:03 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
But the fact that Verizon Fios has its own app, it allows us to watch any of our channels on our handheld devices, anywhere we have a WiFi signal. So, no descrambler boxes are needed. Instead of watching on on an iPad, I want to watch on a smart tv, which is technically a larger iPad. Apparently, the Fios app was available for Samsung TVs in the past but they have since ended it. So, it is possible without a box.
No, you have to have something to run the app. I suggest a 4K Roku.

This is why "smart TVs" are largely garbage to be avoided. The smart features are often poorly implemented and not supported for updates nearly as long as the standalone streaming boxes.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:42 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
No, you have to have something to run the app. I suggest a 4K Roku.

This is why "smart TVs" are largely garbage to be avoided. The smart features are often poorly implemented and not supported for updates nearly as long as the standalone streaming boxes.
Yes, I ended up getting a Roku because so many apps were not available through the Samsung smart tv. I guess they figure that anyone who has a tv also has a cable box and doesn't need the extra apps.. Or more likely it's to encourage people to keep cable.

Although my smart tv will no longer connects to the internet, so it's lost its "smartness", so either way I would have needed to buy a Roku eventually.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:15 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,047,184 times
Without cable you can watch TV shows on the network's website the next day, or whenever the network shows it, like you would do on your computer. A Smart TV is somewhat like another computer. For example, you could watch an NBC show the next day on NBC.com. and the same applies to ABC, CBS, TNT, History Channel, etc.
I don't watch that much live TV, except for weather and news, so I would LOVE to get rid of cable but I haven't figured out how to watch live football games without it.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:49 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, I ended up getting a Roku because so many apps were not available through the Samsung smart tv. I guess they figure that anyone who has a tv also has a cable box and doesn't need the extra apps.. Or more likely it's to encourage people to keep cable.

Although my smart tv will no longer connects to the internet, so it's lost its "smartness", so either way I would have needed to buy a Roku eventually.
And that underscores the issue: Ideally, these Smart TVs are supposed to allow access to content offered OTT ("over the top"). The problem is twofold: Smart television software seems to lag behind current protocols even when they're released and being regularly updated, and we generally want our televisions to last longer than manufacturers are willing to keep updating their Smart TVs. Contrast that with my five year old TiVo which from Day One has offered up-to-date software for all the OTT services to which I have wanted to subscribe, and maintained such software throughout.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:59 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Without cable you can watch TV shows on the network's website the next day, or whenever the network shows it, like you would do on your computer. A Smart TV is somewhat like another computer. For example, you could watch an NBC show the next day on NBC.com. and the same applies to ABC, CBS, TNT, History Channel, etc.
I don't watch that much live TV, except for weather and news, so I would LOVE to get rid of cable but I haven't figured out how to watch live football games without it.
Do you live in an area where an OTA antenna would work?
I purchased one for less than $30. It pulls in ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX...

No ESPN of course, but Hulu-live offers that with their subscription service. I’m going to trial that for the Australian Open.

https://www.hulu.com/live-sports

Back to the OP, do the smart TVs offer internet access? Do they have wireless connections?
If so, I’m thinking that you might be able to access some content by going directly to the Verizon website with your login credentials.

Otherwise, I’d get a Roku for each TV. Lots of deals right now.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:47 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,047,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Do you live in an area where an OTA antenna would work?
I purchased one for less than $30. It pulls in ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX...

No ESPN of course, but Hulu-live offers that with their subscription service. I’m going to trial that for the Australian Open.

https://www.hulu.com/live-sports

Back to the OP, do the smart TVs offer internet access? Do they have wireless connections?
If so, I’m thinking that you might be able to access some content by going directly to the Verizon website with your login credentials.

Otherwise, I’d get a Roku for each TV. Lots of deals right now.
I live in an apartment complex that only allows the 2 cable companies in my area. I don't know what an OTA antenna is.
If you have the internet, then you can get the network websites.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:53 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Dunno if this helps but I bought a $30 Wifi Extendor...about the size of a deck of cards...
carries the signal to the far side of my house.

Here...on Amazon:

NETGEAR AC750 WiFi Range Extender (EX3700-100NAS)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV