U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 02:15 PM

13,426 posts, read 12,089,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Considering that "dating" in America today means "having sexual intercourse" (and don't bother arguing that an adult is having a "platonic dating" relationship), and between and adult and a minor it's illegal in every state of the US, regardless what her parents think of it, yeah, someone should be calling the cops.

Others getting away with it is irrelevant. That excuse didn't even work with my mother.
Won’t the cops only get involved if the parents or legal guardians make a complaint? But either way, just because I personally choose to follow the law doesn’t mean that I also believe that everything that is deemed illegal in the US is “wrong.” I am not law enforcement and it depends on the situation to me.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:16 PM

18,770 posts, read 10,304,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Won’t the cops only get involved if the parents or legal guardians make a complaint? But either way, just because I personally choose to follow the law doesn’t mean that I also believe that everything that is deemed illegal in the US is “wrong.” I am not law enforcement and it depends on the situation to me.
Well, having been the father of a daughter, I'm aware of how easy it is for a savvy adult to screw with the head of an adolescent, so I'm on the "no" side of that in every case.

Old Today, 02:20 PM

5,785 posts, read 5,231,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Yes, if he just dated them, then he’d be like Paul Walker or Don Johnson or any of the multitude of adult men who’ve had relationships with teenage girls and very few people were outraged about it. If we’re talking 15 and up, the girls aren’t being abused, their parents are ok with it and don’t feel the need to call the cops, why should I have a problem with it? It is not my job to police other people’s relationships. If a 15-17 year old girl can fall in love with a boy her own age, she can fall in love with an older man too. I’m not in their relationship, so I can’t say that he’s a predator who’s just taking advantage of her and that she can’t think for herself. I’m not in their relationship, so I can’t say that she’s better off with someone her own age. I don’t know that and it’s not my business.
There are a lot of things that were considered acceptable years ago that are recognized a being very wrong now. I get where you are coming from with Don Johnson, but that doesn't make it right.

If Don Johnson had tried that today or Paul Walker had been alive when that became widely known, both would face severe career backlash.

Personally I think a 16-17 year old dating a college aged adult falls into a grey area.

But for this, R Kelly was consistently going after 14-15 year old girls (some even younger) when he was damn near 30 and above. I mean, I regularly interact with girls in that age range and they are NOT adults, not matter how mature they think they are. Aaliyah was 12 years old when she met him. So was Sparkle's niece I believe.

Add money and fame and the balance of power is too great to ignore IMO.

Quote:
Well, having been the father of a daughter, I'm aware of how easy it is for a savvy adult to screw with the head of an adolescent, so I'm on the "no" side of that in every case.
Right? Teenagers are naive as hell. LOL It doesn't take much to gas up most 14 year olds. Even girls from the roughest neighborhoods will still fall for the okey doke as long as you promise the right things. At that age, you never think the bad things will happen to you... it's always going to be different with you and your boo. He/she is different, you're more mature than these other dummies, etc.

Old Today, 02:22 PM

13,426 posts, read 12,089,262 times
Quote:
And I can certainly understand why you might feel that way as a parent. My parents definitely would’ve felt that way too regarding myself when I was a teenager. However, I am not a parent so I can’t think like one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or