Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 12:22 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
I didn't mean to suggest you could dodge the monthly rate increase. My suggestion was to mitigate the monthly increase by cutting back on the months you buy it.

$11 a month for 12 months is about the same as $13 a month for 10 months. So if you were to forgo Netflix two months of a year you could avoid paying more money over the course of a year even though you are paying the increased monthly fee. Of course that leaves you 2 months a year without the service.
That's how we've always used Netflix, although we have it for much less than 10 months out of the year. I'd say it's closer to 4-5 months that we typically pay for it. There arent always shows we want to watch, and we have plenty of other options for watching movies. If a show we really want to watch comes out, we start back up our Netflix account, watch the show, and then watch any other shows or movies we want to catch up on. We then put our account on hold until something else good comes out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 12:24 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
I'll accept the increase rather than going to the movie theater @ $10/pp a pop! That's without the pop and popcorn.
Movies are cheap in your area! LOL

Old 01-16-2019, 01:12 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
That's how we've always used Netflix, although we have it for much less than 10 months out of the year. I'd say it's closer to 4-5 months that we typically pay for it. There arent always shows we want to watch, and we have plenty of other options for watching movies. If a show we really want to watch comes out, we start back up our Netflix account, watch the show, and then watch any other shows or movies we want to catch up on. We then put our account on hold until something else good comes out.
I get it. That's a good idea. I travel for my job and I'm not even home a couple months a year. So I can cancel then and the times I don't see something I like and come back to Netflix. I do the binge watching too and after a couple of series, I may not want something for quite a while. I also but DVD sets of shows I love. It's not that expensive if you will watch them repeatedly, especially when you buy them used. I'm on my 4th round binge watching Breaking Bad on my DVDs now

Old 01-16-2019, 01:33 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,753,680 times
Netflix used to have a super-simple "suspend" feature, but if they didn't get rid of it, it's become much harder to find and use. Too easy for people to turn it on and off with their viewing habits.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:57 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,569,699 times
He he.
This reminded me of a situation I witnessed in Hermitage, TN. I filled my car at the gas station and walked inside to pay. Exactly same time, when a brand new Ford truck was leaving the station, with a large shiny boat on trailer.
there cashier and 2 fells inside. One of them says to his buddy - look, man has 30 000 boat (that was in year 2000!) and he just argued with cashier about 30 cents!
Thought immediately crossed my mind - This is exactly WHY he has a 30K boat and you drive a beat up something.

Point being - 20% hike is 20% hike.

I ditched Netflix after their second price hike, when it crossed ten bucks. For starters, there's not that much to watch on N anyway, though they surely can make some good shows. But, I watch all of them for free online anyway. So why bother..
N starts sounding like Comcast. Nabbing you with this and that.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:07 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,722,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
T

No it's not. As I said, the increase is nearly 20% and the last time the increased prices was the end of 2017. It is January of 2019 now. I know there are many loyal viewers, but few companies raise rates that frequently and not by that much. So yes, it is a steep price increase. A percentage price increase counts as raising prices too, does it not? It's still money out of customers' pockets. According to BGR, "Netflix just announced the biggest price increase in its history of its streaming service."

https://bgr.com/2019/01/15/netflix-p...basic-premium/
You're hanging on the percentage though and really that doesnt tell the whole story. Because their price is so low any increase is a large percentage. I am paying $10.99 now. Even a dollar increase is almost 10%. My Directv bill went up $8 so by your logic since that is only a 5% increase that isnt steep but the $2-$3 increase for Netflix is?

I dont really care that it is their largest increase since their previous increases have been minimal. Pretty much any increase is going to be historically larger

Old 01-16-2019, 06:03 PM

2,907 posts, read 1,981,678 times
Since I only pay for it for three or four months of the year it wont affect me much but may be the difference of whether I pay for another month when I'm on the fence about it. Next month for example. It is a steep increase, $2 here, $2 there for something else, etc., etc., etc., adds up.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:40 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I ditched Netflix after their second price hike, when it crossed ten bucks. For starters, there's not that much to watch on N anyway, though they surely can make some good shows. But, I watch all of them for free online anyway. So why bother..
N starts sounding like Comcast. Nabbing you with this and that.
I'm guessing you mean that you watch all of them illegally online.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:34 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,619,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
This is still a good deal IMO. I have multiple users and still get a really good rate. Compare this to the cable prices and it is a no-brainer. Also have Prime so I have a pretty good selection of shows and movies without having to pay anywhere near cable prices. Dropped cable over a year ago and do not miss it at all. Installed an antenna and have local channels too.
Truth is, i only keep Netflix around for SUPERNATURAL and Star Trek.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:36 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
I'll accept the increase rather than going to the movie theater @ $10/pp a pop! That's without the pop and popcorn.
That's the way I look at it, too. By the time I buy a movie ticket, a small popcorn, and a bottle of water, I'm out $20.

I watch Netflix almost every evening. More so than any of the other premium cable channels I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV