U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2019, 05:15 PM

558 posts, read 164,978 times

Advertisements

...of every show, it seems like.

You know what I mean, toward the end of every episode of many shows they play a song over some scenes of the show's characters dealing with various personal crises or having bouts of intense introspection.

It was probably a good cinematic technique when it first came into use, and if the frequency of such scenes was reduced it could still be, but nowadays it is done in such a heavy-handed manner that I just groan whenever a song starts to play with 5 minutes left in the show.

Anyone else tired of these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 06:27 PM

15,462 posts, read 20,087,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
Very. It used to be a trope, then became a cliché, now it's a … what? What is five degrees past cliché? Because that's what the sappy music montage has become.

Unless your name is Martin Scorsese, just stop doing these please.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:28 PM

5,024 posts, read 1,654,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
...of every show, it seems like.

You know what I mean, toward the end of every episode of many shows they play a song over some scenes of the show's characters dealing with various personal crises or having bouts of intense introspection.

It was probably a good cinematic technique when it first came into use, and if the frequency of such scenes was reduced it could still be, but nowadays it is done in such a heavy-handed manner that I just groan whenever a song starts to play with 5 minutes left in the show.

I have noticed in a recent binge that Quantum Leap used a long montage of scenes from the episode to pad out the run time. Some were 30 seconds long, others (seemingly) 4-5 minutes. So it's not an entirely new thing.

Most of the current shows I watch have no time left to pad things out like this. Maybe you need to upgrade your viewing.

Perhaps the worst I can recall was Sons of Anarchy, which would do 5-minute ending montages quite frequently. Most were good and managed to add some dimension to things, but more than a few were tedious.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:55 PM

7,790 posts, read 8,236,439 times
It is over used and I think they do it because there is not enough time to squeeze in all the dialog to tell the audience what would be happening next if the characters could talk, not to pad out the allocated time. It can be used effectively, but enough is enough. That's how The Americans ended with one of those montages about the characters' futures. It was used most effectively in the series finale of Six Feet Under and it got a lot of buzz. Now, everyone is copying it and there are some shows where there is one of them every single episode.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:12 AM

4,200 posts, read 5,654,791 times
I loved them in Sons of Anarchy, but now everybody's doing it. Just noticed it in The Good Doctor.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:33 AM

15,462 posts, read 20,087,451 times
They've been around a long time. The first show I can remember that used them (to great effect) in almost every episode was MIAMI VICE --- and that show is 30 years old.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:39 PM

558 posts, read 164,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
They've been around a long time. The first show I can remember that used them (to great effect) in almost every episode was MIAMI VICE --- and that show is 30 years old.
Yeah, but it wasn't every single episode.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:26 PM

2,454 posts, read 1,192,591 times
Miami Vice is actually 35 years old now. But this cliche has been around much longer, movies and TV shows used it in the 1960s.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:16 AM

503 posts, read 421,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
Miami Vice is actually 35 years old now. But this cliche has been around much longer, movies and TV shows used it in the 1960s.
Most of the music in shows past and present was more proprietary.

Miami Vice used a massive amount of the top pop music of the era. That along with the cinematography gave the scenes more of a big screen feel. Really no show since has done this to nearly the extent. I think cost is the prime reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOm82QNauFU&app=desktop

Old Today, 02:22 PM

42,645 posts, read 50,852,142 times
First you have to steal an 80s song. Better if it's 80s or 90s alternative. Maybe that way the rip-off will be less evident. Then you have to slow it down and sing it in some dopey hipster coffee house way. Acoustic of course. Then start the montage.

Gawdawful crap.
Grey's Anatomy seems to love that stuff. My wife watches it. Slays me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or