Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was Tony Soprano likeable?
Yes 58 58.59%
No 41 41.41%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 08:19 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times

Advertisements

I'll say that I appreciated the character of Tony Soprano, but I didn't like him. I couldn't possibly, particularly because of the way he treated Carmela.
The character I really loved was Livia. What a gal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 08:30 AM

976 posts, read 1,056,898 times
Other shows to check out, if you haven't:

Boardwalk Empire
Dexter
The Affair
The Wire
Power
Billions
Game of Thrones

Old 01-27-2019, 09:00 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,450 times
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I might checkout Dexter. Looks interesting.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:07 AM

17,716 posts, read 9,181,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I might checkout Dexter. Looks interesting.
I watched the first 5 or 6 episodes of Dexter and then lost interest. I didn't really enjoy it.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I'll say that I appreciated the character of Tony Soprano, but I didn't like him. I couldn't possibly, particularly because of the way he treated Carmela.
You were ok with Livia putting out a hit on her son?

Old 01-27-2019, 09:20 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I just gave you rep points. Then I read what you wrote about Livia, and I wish I could take them back. She is the worst character on this show, plotting to have her own son offed. You don't have to wonder how Tony turned the way he did, given those two parents.

I clicked "no" for Tony's likeability, too, btw (hence the rep points).

Old 01-27-2019, 09:21 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Please only vote if you've watched The Sopranos series.
Gangsters aren't generally likeable people, they can't afford to be too likeable or people would take advantage.

Indeed the most succesful gangsters were cunning and ruthless.

Tony's father wasn't exactly likeable, nor was his mother or indeed his Janice or indeed Uncle Junior, indeed the whole family was dysunctional.

However I don't think Tony was pure evil when compared to the likes of Richie Aprile or Ralph Cifaretto, and this can be seen in relation to Tony's reaction when Ralph beats to death his young pregnant stripper girlfriend or when Tony finds out Ralph set fire to the stables to claim the insurance on "Pie-O-My".

Tony was also a lot more likeable than some of the gangsters he has to deal with, and indeed those from New York, and there generally had to be a good reason for Tony to engage in violence unlike say Robert De Niro as James "Jimmy the Gent" Conway and Joe Pesci as Tommy DeVito in Goodfellas, who both enjoyed inflicted violence or commiting murder for fun.

There may be likeable traits even in gangsters, Bob Hoskins was quite likeavle even when he played such roles in films such as the 'Long Good Friday' and 'Mona Lisa' for instance.

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-27-2019 at 09:32 AM..

Old 01-27-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Gangsters aren't generally likeable people, they can't afford to be too likeable or people would take advantage.

Indeed the most succesful gangsters were cunning and ruthless.

Tony's father wasn't exactly likeable, nor was his mother or indeed his Janice or indeed Uncle Junior, indeed the whole family was dysunctional.

However I don't think Tony was pure evil when compared to the likes of Richie Aprile or Ralph Cifaretto, and this can be seen in relation to Tony's reaction when Ralph beats to death his young pregnant stripper girlfriend or when Tony finds out Ralph set fire to the stables to claim the insurance on "Pie-O-My".

Tony was also a lot more likeable than some of the gangsters he has to deal with, and indeed those from New York, and there generally had to be a good reason for Tony to engage in violence unlike say Robert De Niro as James "Jimmy the Gent" Conway and Joe Pesci as Tommy DeVito in Goodfellas, who both enjoyed inflicted violence or commiting murder for fun.

There may be likeable traits even in gangsters, Bob Hoskins was quite likeavle even when he played such roles in films such as the 'Long Good Friday' and 'Mona Lisa' for instance.
Good points. I'd say Tony was very likeable from a distance (i.e. watching on TV).

Ralphie was the most unlikeable person on the show, IMO. A truly despicable guy.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:08 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Tony was like a pitbull. Nice enough, sort of, until he wasn't, and then watch TF out.

Last edited by jay5835; 01-27-2019 at 10:16 AM..

Old 01-27-2019, 10:20 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Tony Soprano was one of the first examples of the anithero becoming popular in TV/movie culture. Similar to Don Draper, Walter White, Al Swearingen, Dexter, etc. You don't "like" them, necessarily, but you still root for them as characters, even if what they're doing isn't noble or heroic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV