U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was Tony Soprano likeable?
Yes 28 54.90%
No 23 45.10%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 04:00 PM

15,527 posts, read 20,119,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
After watching The Sopranos, I noticed how they went for an ending where the criminals get away with it in the end. I found this to be very unusual, cause other shows and movies end with them being caught, like Breaking Bad, or Goodfellas, etc. So I was wondering what if they went for the ending where Tony Soprano went down in the end?
Have you seen the finale? It's open to interpretation, but it seemed pretty clear to me that Tony did not get away with it in the end.

But really, the central point of THE SOPRANOS was never about the mob. It was about the disillusioned American dream. It was set in the world of the mob, but Chase could have just as easily set it amongst West Virginia miners or blue collar factory workers in Michigan. The mob was the setting, not the theme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 04:49 PM

3,756 posts, read 1,211,326 times
Yeah I guess, it just feels like the writers didn't have the guts to show us a defeat, and just wanted a cop out ambiguous ending.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:17 PM

15,527 posts, read 20,119,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Yeah I guess, it just feels like the writers didn't have the guts to show us a defeat, and just wanted a cop out ambiguous ending.
I don't think it was gutless. It was a matter of showing 2 + 2 and letting us come up with 4. I appreciate it when filmmakers don't spoonfeed the audience. And it did exactly what I think they intended: Got people talking about it.

My only big complaint about the finale was that it made that awful Journey song popular again. Blech.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:18 PM

38,407 posts, read 17,897,362 times
My take on the final scene was not that Tony was hit, or not hit, rather that for the rest of his life, however long that may be, he could be hit at any moment and had to suspect everyone and everything. That was the viewpoint we were given in that final scene. It was entirely innocuous doings, parking a car, having dinner in a restaurant, made ominous to the audience because we didn't know if they would end the show with a bloodbath or not. That was the point...we didn't know what was innocent and what was malicious, and neither did Tony.

What was annoying was that the above was the sort of thing which occurs to you sometime after you have watched the end of the show. Ah! I see what they were doing. While watching, it initially felt like a gyp..a sudden black screen interrupting nothing special.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:30 PM

35,792 posts, read 43,949,622 times
He was immoral and ruthless.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:42 PM

12,147 posts, read 10,035,581 times
No, he was a complete psychopath. It was the writing and dialogue that made the show what it was. But Tony himself, well-written and acted as he was, ruined peoples lives as a career and made everyone around him miserable, except maybe his two kids.

Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,015,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
My take on the final scene was not that Tony was hit, or not hit, rather that for the rest of his life, however long that may be, he could be hit at any moment and had to suspect everyone and everything. That was the viewpoint we were given in that final scene. It was entirely innocuous doings, parking a car, having dinner in a restaurant, made ominous to the audience because we didn't know if they would end the show with a bloodbath or not. That was the point...we didn't know what was innocent and what was malicious, and neither did Tony.

What was annoying was that the above was the sort of thing which occurs to you sometime after you have watched the end of the show. Ah! I see what they were doing. While watching, it initially felt like a gyp..a sudden black screen interrupting nothing special.
^^ This.

Tony lives his entire life looking over his shoulder. His life could end at any time.

Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM

2,606 posts, read 1,313,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
More interesting than likable
^^^ Yes!!!!! I totally agree. Being interesting is definitely better than likeable.

And my recommendations to watch:

Breaking Bad
Billions
The Americans

I loved Dexter up till Season 5 then was over it but man those first seasons were fantastic!!!!

Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM

3,252 posts, read 896,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
^^ This.

Tony lives his entire life looking over his shoulder. His life could end at any time.
I disagree with Grandstander that that's what the ending suggested. The threat may have been greater at the end of the series, but there was never a time during the series (or his entire adult life) where Tony didn't have to always look over his shoulder.

Old Yesterday, 11:08 PM

21,913 posts, read 33,800,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I disagree with Grandstander that that's what the ending suggested. The threat may have been greater at the end of the series, but there was never a time during the series (or his entire adult life) where Tony didn't have to always look over his shoulder.
Exactly. Moreover, the ending begged the question: Is there really such a thing as Karma? Do we or don't ultimately pay for our sins? For all we know, nothing happened, and Tony was just applying his usual vigilance to the situation.
I thought the ending was perfect. Letting it play out as a hit on Tony would have been tired and predictable.

BTW, I don't see where you and Grandstander are in disagreement over this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV