U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 11:03 AM

15,854 posts, read 20,352,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Do you think Dexter could have been a sympathetic character if he hadn't killed only people who deserved it (in the viewer's opinion)? It seems like there were a couple innocents killed but Deb did the worst (Lt LaGuerta) so his image didn't suffer too badly. If Dex had killed her, I don't think I'd have been rooting for him anymore.
^That was the key exactly. Dexter never killed anyone that he (and therefore we the audience) didn't think had it coming. Still, I don't think anyone would ever find Dexter a paragon of virtue. He's very much an anti-hero. He is super interesting. But admirable? No. Dexter is basically Batman who isn't afraid to cross the line.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread. Sorry.

So back to my original comment: Another good cops vs. bad guys show? Really? Would you like fries with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 11:17 AM

1,913 posts, read 1,055,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
[color="red"] So back to my original comment: Another good cops vs. bad guys show? Really? Would you like fries with that?
It's a time honored tradition. I'm 67 years old and as a little kid we spent a lot of time playing "good guys and bad guys".

Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM

24 posts, read 2,826 times
I am against the idea of a spinoff. The original show JUST STARTED. Why are they rushing this? Can a show not be on the air for a year before they want to start pushing spinoffs and from what it seems like it's not gonna even be that much different from the parent show so what's the point? Just keep the original show going unless they want to focus on federal prosecutors, but I don't really want Wolf to try to "remake" the L&O franchise with this FBI one. That's just borderline lazy and a slap in a face to that batch of work. He has enough shows under his belt as it is. He does not need to be given anymore money.
Quote:
I'd be more interested if they approached it from the fugitive's point of view. Do we really need another cop show about cops chasing a new set of bad guys every week?
Well there's lots of shows out there with this style, particularly on HBO and Showtime with shows like "The Wire", "Power", "The Chi". But for network TV there's Law & Order: Criminal Intent and Criminal Minds which showcases the suspect's point-of-view.
Quote:
The trick would be getting the audience to establish sympathy for the supposed "bad guy." It can be done. See BREAKING BAD, THE SOPRANOS, BETTER CALL SAUL, etc. But for a show like this, I'm not sure it would work to paint a Federal fugitive as a good guy and the FBI as antagonists.
But do they need to be sympathetic? No. We just have to see the crime aftermath through their eyes. The show isn't going to be about them, whatever episode they're in, so we don't need to be sympathetically invested in them. They're the bad guys and we're gonna want for them to get caught, so they don't need our pity all the time. Maybe with a small percentage of them.

Last edited by DevonteHuntley; Yesterday at 04:39 PM..

Old Today, 05:14 PM

22,409 posts, read 18,892,120 times
I watched the show this week and wasn't too impressed with the "Most Wanted" part. It didn't seem much different except they went further out of NYC than OA and his partner seem to do. It was okay but it needs to be on a different night. Or is FBI going on hiatus?

Old Today, 10:15 PM

6,273 posts, read 3,433,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonteHuntley View Post
I am against the idea of a spinoff. The original show JUST STARTED. Why are they rushing this? Can a show not be on the air for a year before they want to start pushing spinoffs and from what it seems like it's not gonna even be that much different from the parent show so what's the point? Just keep the original show going unless they want to focus on federal prosecutors, but I don't really want Wolf to try to "remake" the L&O franchise with this FBI one. That's just borderline lazy and a slap in a face to that batch of work. He has enough shows under his belt as it is. He does not need to be given anymore money.

Well there's lots of shows out there with this style, particularly on HBO and Showtime with shows like "The Wire", "Power", "The Chi". But for network TV there's Law & Order: Criminal Intent and Criminal Minds which showcases the suspect's point-of-view.

But do they need to be sympathetic? No. We just have to see the crime aftermath through their eyes. The show isn't going to be about them, whatever episode they're in, so we don't need to be sympathetically invested in them. They're the bad guys and we're gonna want for them to get caught, so they don't need our pity all the time. Maybe with a small percentage of them.
They are rushing their FBI television universe because the Criminal Minds spinoff series failed and the NCIS stars are all above retirement age for federal agents and can't pass for action heroes much longer. They can go for a MacGyver Magnum crossover future or build from some less fantastic base
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or