Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 11:07 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Different category...the actor did not die, they just killed the character.
Well, except they didn't. (I think we're also primarily talking about character deaths here, although actor deaths have wandered in.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 11:56 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,621,740 times
Has no one mentioned the infamous "RED WEDDING" on Game of thrones? One of the most brutal and shocking scenes in all of TV!

Also,
Charlie murdered on Supernatural
Tora Zyal on DS9
Dr Romano on ER
Lt Commander Remmick on ST:TNG

Old 02-19-2019, 12:01 PM

419 posts, read 387,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Henry Blake on MASH. Such a positive feeling -- I'm going home. Then Radar comes in.
Henry Blake is my number one for shock too. His last episode still gets to me.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:05 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Different category...the actor did not die, they just killed the character.
That makes no sense
Bobby was “killed” and then magically reimagined...

Old 02-19-2019, 12:11 PM

419 posts, read 387,642 times
Quote:
I think Dallas takes the prize for the worst handling of a cast death. Jim Davis (Jock Ewing) died between seasons so they had to open up the year with some explanation as to why Jock was no longer around. They decided to have the family be told he was missing and presumed dead in a South America helicopter crash, but then they launched this absurd story arc where the Ewings are led to believe that Jock survived the crash and was stranded in some jungle, triggering an episode where the Ewing boys went down to search for him. It was annoying because the viewers knew damn well that they were not going to be finding an animated Jim Davis playing Jock. They could either do one of those lame different actor who is Jock after undergoing a massive plastic surgery following the accident deals, or just let the story arc fizzle by the boys failing to find anyone. They went with that latter option.

And if that had not been bad enough, a few years later they drudged up a Jock storyline where some drifter named Wes Parmalee turns up a Southfork claiming to be.....Jock after having undergone massive reconstructive surgery on his face.
I didn't like the way they handled Jock's death either. We all knew Jim Davis had passed, and the dragging it out only led us to believe he would be recast. At the time, all I kept thinking was, "please, please, please, don't try to recast him." There was only one Jock, and that was Jim Davis.

When Steve Forrest came on as Wes Parmalee, I remember being upset thinking they really were trying to set him up as Jock. On repeated viewings, I have grown to appreciate the Parmalee storyline. It was almost like seeing the ghost of Jock and gave my favorite character, Miss Ellie, a great storyline. Some still say that Parmalee really was Jock and that he left out of love because Miss Ellie had moved on.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:59 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
That makes no sense
Bobby was “killed” and then magically reimagined...
I do not understand which part of my post made no sense to you. They did kill the character, that they later unkilled him doesn't mean that they hadn't killed him in the first place.

And Bobby wasn't "reimagined", it turned out that his death had been only imaginary. By the show's dynamic, we were supposed to think that Pam passed one night with an awfully long and detailed dream, but nothing had changed from the night before when she went to sleep.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:07 PM

11 posts, read 5,370 times
Tasha Yar in ST:TNG

Wes in How to Get Away with Murder

The death of Optimus Prime traumatized me as a kid (Died in the animated movie; resurrected in the TV cartoon as a "zombie" and then killed again in the same episode. Even though he was eventually brought back for good, his initial death still haunts me to this day, lol.)

Last edited by Passive Observer; 02-19-2019 at 05:24 PM..

Old 02-19-2019, 10:51 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,017 times
Drew Sharp on Breaking Bad (young boy on motor bike)

Old 02-20-2019, 07:44 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Certainly Henry's in MASH but I knew that one was coming since I wasn't there when it was first presented. Then there was the one in Magnum where the woman was thrown off the light house.

The things with most TV deaths is that there is usually a way out. So when Piper bought it in Charmed, there was a way back.

Not so, however, with Tara in Buffy which I thought was done rather cheaply. I was all thrilled that Amber got front billing credit that night but then felt very cheated that she got it just so TPTB could off a front billed character.

Finally, when it comes to season breaks where we don't know who is coming back, it's great for keeping the passion going over the summer, such as with Prue in Charmed, but in "reality", I see it as just another cheap trick. While Jo Reynolds in "Melrose Place" was not at death's door as the season ended (but Sydney was but I didn't see that one), I was disappointed when she suddenly was just not there at the next opener.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:59 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Brody on "Homeland"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV