Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 05:01 PM

1,161 posts, read 434,699 times

Advertisements

In the Golden Girls/Golden Palace thread we began talking about the illogical way that the house is laid out.

Another one for me is Everybody Loves Raymond. One of my all time favorite shows. But how the hell does it make sense for Frank and/or Marie to enter the back door of the house when it's established that their house is directly across the street from the front door of Ray & Debra's?
For that matter, why does Ray seemingly always forgo the front door and walk around to the back of their house to enter in through the kitchen.

Obviously it's all blocking for the show to flow better, it would be annoying if they were always entering in the wrong door, lol, but it still always seemed somewhat annoying.

The Full House house was another one.
There are two staircases in the Tanner household. One of which is in the living room, it leads to a giant cat walk that runs along the entire living room and has been shown to lead to a single hallway that leads to at least 4 bedrooms. Then, seemingly at the end of that hallway, is the stairs that leads down to the kitchen. But there's no way that hallway is only the length of the kitchen itself.

Does anyone have any other examples?
Or am I the only one with this kinda time on their hands??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 07:05 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,530,374 times
Sometimes I notice this.

In All In The Family the house is shown in the opening credits as a duplex. The layout of the set follows this, as we are looking into the home through the common but not actually there wall. However no mention of this is ever made in the show itself. Surely there would be some interaction with those neighbors, but all we hear about are the Jefferson house, also occupied by the Italian couple, and Mike and Gloria.

In Breaking Bad, Walter White's house seems to only have one bathroom, located in the master bedroom. No house would actually be built like this, there would always be another bathroom, otherwise you would have zero privacy in the master bedroom.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:38 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce1 View Post
In the Golden Girls/Golden Palace thread we began talking about the illogical way that the house is laid out.

Another one for me is Everybody Loves Raymond. One of my all time favorite shows. But how the hell does it make sense for Frank and/or Marie to enter the back door of the house when it's established that their house is directly across the street from the front door of Ray & Debra's?
For that matter, why does Ray seemingly always forgo the front door and walk around to the back of their house to enter in through the kitchen.

Obviously it's all blocking for the show to flow better, it would be annoying if they were always entering in the wrong door, lol, but it still always seemed somewhat annoying.

There are two staircases in the Tanner household. One of which is in the living room, it leads to a giant cat walk that runs along the entire living room and has been shown to lead to a single hallway that leads to at least 4 bedrooms. Then, seemingly at the end of that hallway, is the stairs that leads down to the kitchen. But there's no way that hallway is only the length of the kitchen itself.

Maybe this is a regional thing, but I grew up in Chicago. Good friends and relatives always went to the back door, even if they lived across the street and had to pass the front door to get to it.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:31 AM

1,161 posts, read 434,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
Sometimes I notice this.

In All In The Family the house is shown in the opening credits as a duplex. The layout of the set follows this, as we are looking into the home through the common but not actually there wall. However no mention of this is ever made in the show itself. Surely there would be some interaction with those neighbors, but all we hear about are the Jefferson house, also occupied by the Italian couple, and Mike and Gloria.

This is a really good one. Also, in some episodes we see them out on the porch, but in the establishing shot before the show there is no porch, just a couple of steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Maybe this is a regional thing, but I grew up in Chicago. Good friends and relatives always went to the back door, even if they lived across the street and had to pass the front door to get to it.

That makes a lot of sense. Still seems like they'd use the front door always since they do it so often. But your explanation of familiarity will be what I tell myself when it starts annoying me, lol.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:47 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
I've noticed that kind of thing, too. Real apartments are generally a collection of connected cubes, but most TV apartments are wide open with hallways going off at angles. When you walk in the door of most suburban houses, there might be a room to the right or left, and you're looking at the stairs and a hallway back to the kitchen. Like you say, in TV houses you walk into that huge room with grand staircase in the back. It's all for the camera, but still.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:33 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
This is a really good one. Also, in some episodes we see them out on the porch, but in the establishing shot before the show there is no porch, just a couple of steps.

That makes a lot of sense. Still seems like they'd use the front door always since they do it so often. But your explanation of familiarity will be what I tell myself when it starts annoying me, lol
LMAO! Either that or tell yourself they're just trying to get their steps in - even though Fitbit wasn't around back then.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:41 AM

465 posts, read 303,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
Sometimes I notice this.

In Breaking Bad, Walter White's house seems to only have one bathroom, located in the master bedroom. No house would actually be built like this, there would always be another bathroom, otherwise you would have zero privacy in the master bedroom.
Wasn't this in a real house?

Old 09-14-2019, 11:47 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Happy Days house. Especially after the first two seasons where everything got turned around. Fonzie's apartment didn't make sense the way they showed the driveway at the kitchen. The kitchen door is normally supposed to be on the side or back of the house, but it would have been opening near the edge of where the front lawn meets the street. You would have had to go through some kind of space/time portal to make it work.

Sanford and Son. Opening shot shows a normal storefront with the truck driving to the side of it. But the front door on the show only opened on the side.

Brady Bunch. The back yard and patio area would have been in full view from the street, on the side of a very oddly shaped narrow home extending backwards. You can actually see the plans for it now since they have remodeled the house used in exterior shots. The front door would have been on the far left front edge of the house.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:50 AM

465 posts, read 303,574 times
Quote:

I also don't ever remember how they got up to the attic from the 2nd floor. I remember they'd go up the kitchen stairs but unless that stairwell continued after the 2nd floor to the attic, I don't remember how they got up there.

Good point on the size of the second floor. Wasn't Danny's master bedroom alone pretty big? I remember how huge it was from that episode when DJ and Stephanie knocked that closet pole into the wall

Old 09-14-2019, 11:51 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Another thing on Happy Days was the bathroom at Arnold's. The first two seasons had a little hallway. The bathroom itself was a very large room with a sink and a single large stall that extended back behind the wall. No urinals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV