Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 03:43 PM

15,858 posts, read 21,421,245 times

Advertisements

Am I the only person who really hoped Clara was gone for good?

I didn't think I could dislike any companion more than Rose - I was wrong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 01:38 AM

380 posts, read 376,619 times
Hurt's Doctor is the one that went to war after McGann(I hope they don't screw McGann's Doctor by making Hurt an older version). I think Hurt's Doctor had to break the promise of his title to win the time war, so the later Doctors do not count the Gallifreyan as a 'Doctor'. Hurt's Doctor's regen still counts though.

I can see this because men(and women) who have to go to war end up fundamentally changed. Most of the time the situation they are in makes them have to make some life choices that they would rather not have to make. Do you shoot the guy giving up after seeing him blow off you friends face or do you take him prisoner? Do you leave a wounded friend to certain death because he's now a liability to an operation that has to be done to save even more lives or do you try to haul him along jeopardizing more men's lives.? Etc.

Will be interesting to see what made the Doctor break his promise. And to see if he had any companions as well.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:27 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,100,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiggan View Post
Hurt's Doctor is the one that went to war after McGann(I hope they don't screw McGann's Doctor by making Hurt an older version). I think Hurt's Doctor had to break the promise of his title to win the time war, so the later Doctors do not count the Gallifreyan as a 'Doctor'. Hurt's Doctor's regen still counts though.

I can see this because men(and women) who have to go to war end up fundamentally changed. Most of the time the situation they are in makes them have to make some life choices that they would rather not have to make. Do you shoot the guy giving up after seeing him blow off you friends face or do you take him prisoner? Do you leave a wounded friend to certain death because he's now a liability to an operation that has to be done to save even more lives or do you try to haul him along jeopardizing more men's lives.? Etc.

Will be interesting to see what made the Doctor break his promise. And to see if he had any companions as well.

This is a great explanation!

Old 05-22-2013, 10:20 AM

380 posts, read 376,619 times
This could also explain why the last few Doctors have been more intense in their decision making like the Family and the Racnoss.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:09 PM

8,066 posts, read 4,739,860 times
The Sixth Doctor met a version of himself from the future, one who was supposedly the distillation of all his evil impulses or some such nonsense, in Trial of A Time Lord. The character, called The Valeyard, was the Prosecutor in the case against The Doctor, and we didn't learn of his being a future Doctor until near the end of the plot arc. So it is not entirely new territory for the show to explore "alternate Doctors". The period between eight and nine is of course fertile ground since a lot of the details of the Time War have been left alone. I like the "8.5" type theories going around much more than the "Doctor Zero" theories (that is, Hurt is the Doctor before he took the name of The Doctor and regenerated into William Hartnell's Doctor).

Old 05-24-2013, 06:04 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,911,733 times
I hope they pick Hugh Laurie as the 12th Doctor. Gregory House minus the fake American accent would be cool. He's a jerk, but he gets the job done.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:31 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,706,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Am I the only person who really hoped Clara was gone for good?

I didn't think I could dislike any companion more than Rose - I was wrong!
I was hoping so also. I didn't hate Rose, but didn't worship her like so many either. Clara is boring. I don't hate her anymore but if she left today I wouldn't remember anything other than this last episode and the Dahlek asylum one. I loved Martha, Donna & Rory the best. River doesn't count since she's his wife.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:58 PM

15,858 posts, read 21,421,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
I was hoping so also. I didn't hate Rose, but didn't worship her like so many either. Clara is boring. I don't hate her anymore but if she left today I wouldn't remember anything other than this last episode and the Dahlek asylum one. I loved Martha, Donna & Rory the best. River doesn't count since she's his wife.
Cut from the same cloth, apparently. I'm right with you. Then again, I was an ER fan before I got into Doctor Who, so I HAVE to love River Song!

Old 05-30-2013, 07:10 PM

8,066 posts, read 4,739,860 times
Traditionally, companions' likeability/identifiability with viewers suffers when they are not given a proper "introduction story". Clara had several "introduction stories" as part of her mystery (as well as "exit stories"), which made me wonder "which one" was the real Clara. When the original show would just pick up with a companion already in the TARDIS, they were being treated just as a plot device, the "interchangeable sidekick". They would try to fill us in on the character later on, but it rarely helped. In Clara's case, they couldn't do the typical "let's meet the new companion" episode for obvious reasons, and must have assumed we would like her simply because she was spunky and quirky and the center of a big mystery. I will say the actress, Jenna Louise Coleman, does have a good deal of screen charisma and talent. The plotline just did not do her any favors.

At least most other companions were seen in their pre-Doctor lives, and we had a sense of where they were from, what they were all about. In the new series, they would often go overboard in making the companion a major part of the show--we often got to meet their families, though we saw very few family members of the companions in the original series.

I saw the Clara plotline to be a sci-fi version of the kid Kenny on South Park, who would get killed off in every episode, then inexplicably return in the next episode as if nothing happened. It became his main "character trait" and thus he was never on equal footing with the other three main characters.The fact that DW would keep trivializing Clara's existence with "multiple lives/deaths" in various venues sent a message to me that she was some kind of hocus-pocus, not a regular, average person like the majority of the companions and thus I should not get attached or regard her with the same affection as a regular companion.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:07 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,686,329 times
Big news from the BBC tonight: we're getting a new Doctor come Christmas.

Doctor Who: Matt Smith leaving at Christmas | Den of Geek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV