Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 08:01 AM

8,619 posts, read 10,146,663 times

Advertisements

Best:

M*A*S*H
Six Feet Under
Spartacus
China Beach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2021, 10:52 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,963 times
+1 Awake with Jason Isaacs that was such a well crafted show, very very different than the normal xeroxed Hollywood plots.

Old 05-02-2021, 12:05 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,054 times
Star Trek the Next Generation. "All Good Things" was a great finale, bringing the crew back together after.

Continuum was also fantastic. Kiera finally sets everything right, but she can never go back home, although it is still a happy (if bittersweet) ending

The Crossing was a one season sci-fi show that knew it wasn't going to be picked up for another season so they had a chance to tie everything up nicely in its finale

Old 05-03-2021, 09:33 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,963 times
Sports Night https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0165961 (Aaron Sorkin's first TV series)

was designed for 1 season, so he could go on to The West Wing.
It had a 2-part series end that started as with you feeling really blue, and then resolved it all just right.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:59 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
The ending of Mad Men was great. The show spent a lot of wasted time leading up to the punch line, but once we got there it was worth it. The only person I wish we'd have seen more closure on was Meredith, Don's ditzy secretary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
Worst: Lost. I was hoping they'd explain what was going on but left too many questions unresolved.
Psst - they're all dead! LOL

But yes, I agree. The redemption arcs for each character could have been told so much more simply and credibly had the writers known what they were doing from the start, and stuck with it instead of meandering all over the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I can’t think of any that I really loved, but Battlestar Galactica pissed me off. Hour 1 was great, but then hour 2 was just so unrealistic and ridiculous with everyone giving up all technology and oh btw there are angels? Why?
I didn't find the giving up of the technology as ridiculous as the fact that the survivors all split up after so many years of keeping the fleet together. That just didn't make sense to me - unless they were just sick of one another. Staying together certainly would increase their chances of survival.

Baltar as an angel? Hardly. So yeah, that was ridiculous as well.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I love the final and very poignant ending to Black Adder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm5n27y0WmQ

Old 05-03-2021, 08:13 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,561,084 times
Best: Six Feet Under
M*A*S*H
Schitt's Creek
Mad Men
Treme (could have been better, but the writers did a damn fine job wrapping up things in a foreshortened season)
The Wonder Years

Worst: The Sopranos
Boardwalk Empire (it wasn't awful, per se, but it left me wanting more than it should have)
Game of Thrones
How I Met Your Mother
Mad Men (it takes a special show to make both lists, lol)
The Newsroom (deserved a far better ending than what it received. Sorkin really dropped the ball on this one.)

Old 05-03-2021, 08:38 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Favorite - Seinfeld. I loved how they did the finale, bringing back all those great character actors we'd loved from all the years. Great way to do it. We still enjoy the whole series today. Timeless.

Worst - Have to agree with LOST.... We think the writers may have started out with a plan for what it all meant, but either because they extended the show longer than expected or because the fans kept figuring things out too soon, they just decided to throw the plan out and ad lib the last few seasons. The first few seasons are still great TV though, we're rewatching Season 1 again now, first time since. We figure we'll stay with it at least til season 3.

Newhart... Awesome all time favorite, but we're aging ourselves, and there are a couple generations now who never saw either one!
There was also a writer strike one season, I often wondered if they lost the momentum, or got different writers.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:59 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post

Worst: The Sopranos

That was one of the best until the last 10 seconds.

How have we made it 4 pages in here without Breaking Bad being mentioned?

And, I'll put it out there now.. I think the NEXT great finale we have will be Better Call Saul. That series, like Breaking Bad, has been a slow burn..

Old 05-04-2021, 05:53 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
How have we made it 4 pages in here without Breaking Bad being mentioned?
Even though the climax definitely had some flaws in its logic, I'd still rate the BREAKING BAD finale as excellent. Still one of the greatest TV shows ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
And, I'll put it out there now.. I think the NEXT great finale we have will be Better Call Saul. That series, like Breaking Bad, has been a slow burn..
I hope so. I love BCS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV