Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2010, 07:39 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times

Advertisements

Exactly, Halo. It felt like a sloppy way to explain the absences of some actors, and tie up loose ends.

Cheap tactic for an otherwise well-written show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 07:46 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I didn't care for it either. Did they mention the HIV? Maybe I missed it.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:24 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I didn't care for it either. Did they mention the HIV? Maybe I missed it.
I didn't watch it but they said he had HIV in the season finale. These are hacky plot devices to be sure but not out of character for this show, IMO. I can't stand all the family yelling. If I wanted to see a family yelling at each other I would just recall my childhood.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:38 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Ok, so I just watched the last episode of last year online, and it helped. I must not have watched it before. I still don't get how come Justin went back to the Army instead of going to Haiti. Is he through with med school?
And, if Rob Lowe was leaving, why not just have him be dead in the accident, instead of the stupid hooked up to machines and "poof" Kitty decides to pull his plug and they're all home from the funeral?
And, as if Holly wasn't annoying enough without making her have amnesia now.
I loved the show, so I hope they get it together.
I wish they would start a new winery on the land with the aquafer and go back to the way it was.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:00 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
It wasn't until right at the end that I figured out what they were trying to tell us.

It was a year after the accident and in that time everyone had basically left the family, each thinking their own things, placing their own blame and unwilling to face up to what their current reality is and it being different than what it was before the accident.

Mom no longer was the strong voice because she blamed herself for Justin going off to war and probably blamed herself for other changes. So she retreated from being the matriarch.

That in turn helped others stray from the family fold since there was no mom leading.

Her fight with Justin galvanized him into heading back to war instead of wallowing in self doubt and guilt, since he didn't really save either Robert or Holly.
That combined with the damage Holly incurred due to the accident and not being able to live in the current time caused Rebecca to leave (easy fix since the actress left the show)

Sarah found herself caught between feeling like she owed the family money and wanted to sell that property since she lost the business and like she really wanted to keep the property because it might keep the family together. So she thinks she has no purpose other than paying the family back and after that's done she can go live her fantasy life in France with Luc.

Kitty of course was in limbo simply because Robert was in limbo. (easy way to deal with the actor leaving while at the same time not giving away whether anyone died in the cliff hanger of the season finale) She couldn't do anything but care for Robert.

Kevin and Scotty lost 2 babies through their surrogate and since that was Kevin's focus, he's also lost. He's gone from power attorney to doing pro bono work, likely because he feels like he's lost his own power.

Holly is incapacitated enough that the struggle between her and Nora no longer exists, so she's basically just a footnote in the story.

After a year of everyone marinating in their own thoughts, drifting further away from their family as a whole, Justin returns. He comes back with a clear and focused head only to find everyone else so far off he norm that at first he just takes it all in, then he takes control and starts making everyone shake off their fog and come back to making decisions and moving forward.

Nora realizes her way parenting is what the family needs and not a burden.

Kitty realizes that Robert is gone even if his body hasn't left yet and is able to let him go and move forward instead of hovering.

Sarah realizes that keeping the property might just be what the family needs to rise again together.

Kevin is stepping on the path of realizing that he might not have to have a newborn to be a parent.

Justin himself realizes that his life has changed the most towards moving forward and even though part of it he didn't know (Rebecca leaving him) at least he's better off than he was before he went off to war. War gave him the opportunity to realize that he left Robert bleeding in the car because Robert realized he wouldn't survive and there was nothing Justin could really do. In essence Robert gave his permission for Justin to move on to the next patient. Justin was able to release the guilt and the blame of not saving him after he realized that they both knew, in their heart, what the outcome would be.

I know that's a lot.....but at the end when Justin was standing there thanking Nora it call connected for me and made sense.

Life has a way of slowly changing in ways that many of us simply don't realize. In a years time, a small amount in reality, this family drifted apart and were slogging around in a deep fog. It took one of them being away long enough to reclaim themselves and come back to help the others out of the fog.

In the end, I liked it. But I had to get past the years worth of skip, not having Robert dead first off and the oddness it seemed to have. In the end, it all made sense.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:22 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
hypocore, you nailed it!

Old 09-27-2010, 11:23 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
I love this show. I didn't care for the "one year later" crap but oh well. The part about the family being so supportive of one another among their verbal spats reminds me of my family. Sure there are times when we disagree but in the end, we all come back together.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
hypocore, I got all that, I just didn't like how it was done. It was like all the characters changed completely. If the viewers liked the way they were, I don't know if that was a good move. I would rather Robert have just been killed off at the end of last season, and would rather have seen some closure with Rebecca. All of a sudden she's just gone.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:23 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Thanks so much Hypo, but I honestly don't remember the finale last season, I must have missed it even though it is one of my fav shows. Something must have happened, too many to dvr or something. I liked the "opener" though.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:25 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
yes I think we were all lost on this one but it did not make sense at all . racheal griffiths lost weight or something cause she looks different . Oh well glad kitty finally got on with her life and doing the right thing with robert .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV