Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 12:43 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,361,909 times

Advertisements

Mr. T and Tina starred Arnold from Happy Days. Wikipedia says it was a spin off from Welcome Back, Kotter, though I have no idea how.

I hate spinoffs where they bring in someone you've never seen before is buddies with the main character and suddenly has their own show.

The Brady Bunch tried this with Ken Berry and his multi-ethnic kids. There was a Mary Tyler Moore episode like that where Bill Daly played some local politician. 1neither on got picked up.

Chico might have survived longer after Prinze died if they hadn't tried to recast the part by having a young boy take the spot. Some kid moves in and the old guy starts calling him Chico. Very poorly handled and didn't last long. If they'd just left it with the man running his garage, it might have worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 09:11 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Mr. T and Tina starred Arnold from Happy Days. Wikipedia says it was a spin off from Welcome Back, Kotter, though I have no idea how.

I hate spinoffs where they bring in someone you've never seen before is buddies with the main character and suddenly has their own show.

The Brady Bunch tried this with Ken Berry and his multi-ethnic kids. There was a Mary Tyler Moore episode like that where Bill Daly played some local politician. 1neither on got picked up.

Chico might have survived longer after Prinze died if they hadn't tried to recast the part by having a young boy take the spot. Some kid moves in and the old guy starts calling him Chico. Very poorly handled and didn't last long. If they'd just left it with the man running his garage, it might have worked.

No it wasn't, right before the first episode of Mr. T and Tina started, The Sweathoggs were in the teaser with him and wished him good luck in Chicago

That was ABC's way of getting the show off the ground. So some fool put it was a spinoff of WBK when he was never a character of the show LOL

Old 08-23-2013, 10:01 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
Sanford and Son

Old 08-26-2013, 07:46 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,361,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
No it wasn't, right before the first episode of Mr. T and Tina started, The Sweathoggs were in the teaser with him and wished him good luck in Chicago

That was ABC's way of getting the show off the ground. So some fool put it was a spinoff of WBK when he was never a character of the show LOL
"Welcome Back, Kotter" Career Day (TV Episode 1976) - IMDb

His Mr. T was in this episode.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:01 PM
FBJ

Quote:

Ok I didn't know that but he only appeared in that episode to bring viewers over to his show which aired right after WBK on ABC

Old 08-27-2013, 10:49 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
The Bob Crane show was pretty awful as I recall and Larry Hagman also had a short-lived show of his own.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:45 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,861 times
Welcome Back, Kotter
Phyllis
Angie
Fish

Old 08-28-2013, 05:51 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Welcome Back, Kotter
Phyllis
Angie
Fish

WBK doesn't belong on that list with them other shows

Old 08-28-2013, 07:36 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
Any list that doesn't have The Brady Bunch in it is invalid. I'm also prepared to label the person who listed Barney Miller as one of the worst as a literal invalid.

Mayberry RFD deserves mention. They went from Andy the Sheriff to Sam the Wimp.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:27 PM
FBJ

Quote:

Found it was a spinoff you were right

Spin Off: "Mr. T And Tina" and "Welcome Back, Kotter"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV