Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 07:33 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times

Advertisements

Have to agree on M*A*S*H -- I used to like it, and I think the early years were actually pretty good. But when the Alan Alda character started getting all indignant and preachy it jumped the shark.

The Facts of Life made me want to poke my eyes out. What a horrid show! I've raised teenage girls. They ain't all THAT sweet and treacly.

You forgot one! It started in 1977 and ran till '86, so it still counts...

The LOOOOOOOVE BOAT

The Love Boat Season 1 Episode 1 Part 1 Full Episodes - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 07:44 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
Wasn't Making A Living just a temporary name for the series It's A Living? I recall It's A Living moving from network to first-run syndication and doing several cast changes, and I always believed they had temporarily renamed it, then went back to the original title. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. It was never going to win any awards, but it wasn't awful or anything.

I liked Alice, but its spin-off Flo was not all that good. One thing I notice on this thread is that the 1970s is rife with spin-offs centered around supporting characters who were not really suited to be the lead character in their own show.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:50 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Wasn't Making A Living just a temporary name for the series It's A Living? I recall It's A Living moving from network to first-run syndication and doing several cast changes, and I always believed they had temporarily renamed it, then went back to the original title. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. It was never going to win any awards, but it wasn't awful or anything.

I liked Alice, but its spin-off Flo was not all that good. One thing I notice on this thread is that the 1970s is rife with spin-offs centered around supporting characters who were not really suited to be the lead character in their own show.

Not true, the Maude character was spinned off and had a successful run

Old 06-18-2012, 07:58 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
Well of course there were exceptions...I'm just saying there were more than a few that tanked. For every Maude or Benson, there was a Joanie Loves Chachi, a Flo, a Fish, or Phyllis.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:44 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I see it only lasted 5 months.
The Partridge Family? 4-5 years, not five months. As I recall it had the same run as the Brady Bunch, which is one of the reasons the two shows are often paired.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Well of course there were exceptions...I'm just saying there were more than a few that tanked. For every Maude or Benson, there was a Joanie Loves Chachi, a Flo, a Fish, or Phyllis.
Plus, the episodes of shows where spin off characters were introduced were often bizarrely bad. The episode of Happy Days in which Mork was introduced, for example, was truly awful.

I remember there was an episode of The Cosby Show where everyone goes to a community rec center (because dontcha know that the Cosbys, in addition to being doctors and law partners and raising 5 kids have time to volunteer as teachers at a community center).

Anyway, the episode was really an excuse to launch a sit com about the a bunch of cliche characters at a community center. And when I say cliche characters, I mean cliche in the worst possible sticky-sweet politically correct 1970s sort of a way. Talk about a clunker of an episode.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:29 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
So.... what about the Partridge Family? Thumbs up or thumbs down?
Both thumbs up. Reuben Kincaid rocked!

Old 06-19-2012, 10:34 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I recall seeing an episode of a sitcom that probably nobody remembers: "Struck By Lightning":

Struck by Lightning (TV Series 1979) - IMDb

It was one of those "here and gone" series.
Wasn't there a scene in the premier episode where some igor-like character walks in and says "I've been struck by lightning!"? I can see it vividly in my mind's eye.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:42 PM

LOL @ The Love Boat. Yes, many episodes that were hilariously bad. Especially any time Charo showed up. Coochy coochy!

Old 06-19-2012, 01:12 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
The Partridge Family? 4-5 years, not five months. As I recall it had the same run as the Brady Bunch, which is one of the reasons the two shows are often paired.
I was talking about the spinoff "Getting Together"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV