U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-04-2011, 10:45 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,436,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Dehumidifiers are your friends!
I have one, and I detest it!
If you have to use one, it is not a comfortable environment to be in, imo.

I just don't understand all the "pluses" of having a basement, other than prone-to-mold storage space.
Yet, HH seem to love it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 07:27 AM

12,250 posts, read 11,814,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
I have one, and I detest it!
If you have to use one, it is not a comfortable environment to be in, imo.

I just don't understand all the "pluses" of having a basement, other than prone-to-mold storage space.
Yet, HH seem to love it...
your so right.!! Basements are like dungeons to me...

Wouldnt it be reall great if when the HH's say the house needs to be updated, and the realtor could then turn to the Hh and ask, Oh, and how updated is the home you live in now?

thought so !!!!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
your so right.!! Basements are like dungeons to me...

Wouldnt it be reall great if when the HH's say the house needs to be updated, and the realtor could then turn to the Hh and ask, Oh, and how updated is the home you live in now?

thought so !!!!!!!!!
On one HH episode I guess (have been watching too many!), there was a realtor who was offering a couple solutions for things they considered a problem - not major ones, like highway noise "put a water feature" - but small things that were completely to their taste, like replacing perfectly functional, decent-looking countertops. He was speaking "Sandra style", honestly but politely and to the point: "ok, you don't like this, replace it and it is going to cost you X dollars, yet location and sq footage are great and you have those, so be happy".

For some reason, the guy was extremely annoyed/irritated that the realtor was just being honest and trying to help... He said "he keeps offering solutions for the problems!" What did he expect?!

He probably either wanted a super updated house (within his budget, of course), a discount on the price to replace everything that he didn't like yet was perfectly functional, or wanted the realtor to fix what he didn't like himself!

Let's just go with the best line for the complaining-about-everything fever: "Which castle are you coming from, exactly?"

Old 08-05-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
On one HH episode I guess (have been watching too many!), there was a realtor who was offering a couple solutions for things they considered a problem - not major ones, like highway noise "put a water feature" - but small things that were completely to their taste, like replacing perfectly functional, decent-looking countertops. He was speaking "Sandra style", honestly but politely and to the point: "ok, you don't like this, replace it and it is going to cost you X dollars, yet location and sq footage are great and you have those, so be happy".

For some reason, the guy was extremely annoyed/irritated that the realtor was just being honest and trying to help... He said "he keeps offering solutions for the problems!" What did he expect?!

He probably either wanted a super updated house (within his budget, of course), a discount on the price to replace everything that he didn't like yet was perfectly functional, or wanted the realtor to fix what he didn't like himself!

Let's just go with the best line for the complaining-about-everything fever: "Which castle are you coming from, exactly?"

Yes !! that was the best line ever from Sandra !!

PS: I need to get a life already, way to much HGTV for me....

Old 08-05-2011, 09:41 AM

6,866 posts, read 9,939,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I was eager to see that episode since was filmed in a neighborhood of Tucson very close to where I live. The daily newspaper had a big article about the show since House Hunters hasn't been in Southern Arizona for a long time. According to the paper, the Realtor browbeat the producers of House Hunters to put her on the show and was finally successful.

Tucson moms match ideas on 'House Hunters'

I wasn't too impressed with the results, however, because the buyer seemed not only unrealistic, but rather unpleasant. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe her "downsizing" yielded a home that was a mere 300 sq. ft. smaller than the large one she was abandoning.

I am never surprised when young, first-time homeowners act like entitled brats when they house-hunt. But for a middle-aged woman to be so unwilling to stick to her own search criteria, and to expect each house she viewed to meet every one of her idiosyncratic desires, is rather petty.

I won't bash the son because he isn't of the age to understand how he was coming off on camera. But I will predict he will either hate her for that when he's an adult or turn out to be her Mini-Me. I recorded the program for my mother to see and left the room before he put his hand in the pool and "ewwed" about it not being heated. I knew Mom would launch into her Spoiled Children tirade. Let's just say she didn't disappoint me and I was on the other side of the house.
Hated that episode. Was distracted by the kid's very effeminate behavior. Dad should take custody or he's going to have some serious social problems. They put that last scene with him being a kid in, I'm sure, for that reason.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Hated that episode. Was distracted by the kid's very effeminate behavior. Dad should take custody or he's going to have some serious social problems. They put that last scene with him being a kid in, I'm sure, for that reason.

this could be very offensive if your implying what I think you are implying

Old 08-05-2011, 10:18 AM

6,866 posts, read 9,939,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
this could be very offensive if your implying what I think you are implying
Sorry! Not implying anything but that kid acted like he doesn't get out much to play with other kids!

Old 08-05-2011, 12:33 PM

43,861 posts, read 27,459,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Just yesterday, I watched an IHH show where an English couple found an ancient stone ruin in Italy and instantly fell in love. It had no bathroom and no kitchen, but it was made of stone and had breathtaking views. I wish the show would go back now and film what they did with the place.
I wish they would do that for any episode where a whole lot of renovations were going to take place. It would be interesting seeing it months/years afterward. Then again, the economy tanked so badly, perhaps some have done nothing.

I like the girl from San Francisco as well. She seemed like such a sweet mother and wife. Of course, her husband was handsome as well. Reminded me a bit of Russell Crowe. They were just having a great adventure together and it was refreshing to see that attitude in a young couple.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:15 PM

1,178 posts, read 794,496 times
Quote:
Like nc said, it is unsanitary if close to the kitchen (HH thoughts, not mine).
I don't think it is unsanitary in the basement (thanks Pippy for the leak reminder btw!) but imo finished or not, basements are just plain awful.
I just would want a basement for storage, and that is it. Ideally, I would much, much rather have a house without any basement, yet I see HH making a big deal out of it sometimes.

Wow! Did you end up buying a house you really love?! After that long and so many properties, I would guess so!
But you did say it was unsanitary...

Originally Posted by Miaiam
Feel free to call me unsanitary then, I hate laundry facilities in basements!

I also don't think laundry rooms should be on upper levels, bc I usually throw clothes in the washer/dryer at night and do not need the noise, while I have seen many HH saying that is a plus. Go figure...

FYI... Is it my dream home? NOPE. But its nice and affordable and wasn't falling down around me. The homes we were looking at in our price range in the state we lived in were in pretty bad shape. I can deal with a fixer-upper, but when there are holes in the ceiling, mold, a leaking roof that the owners won't fix, a flooded basement, badly cracked foundations, rodents, awful neighbors, etc...I could go on and on. Those to me are real problems. Not having granite, stainless steel, a double sink or hardwood floors is not a problem, its a choice. It is something easily changed. Its cosmetic. We ended up moving one state over because we could afford a home that wasn't falling apart and was actually in great shape. I have formica counters, white appliances, one sink in the master bath (which is the size of a closet) and OMG!!!! Laundry in the basement. All this came with the house, and all was in great shape and mostly new, so why change it if its in good shape. I love granite and stainless steel, but its not a deal breaker. I can always change it in the long run if I want to, but we plan on moving to another state soon, so no need to. The next owners can do it.

And if you think laundry in the basement is gross, why then would you want use it for storage? That really makes no sense. And what makes a finished basement awful? Mine is beautiful, bright DRY, and has natual light. We sepnd alot of time down there. Not all basements are damp and full of mold. That is just something in your head. Mine is actually nicer than my living room! haha!

When the HH are speaking to their realtor and want certain things, they should make that very known. The realtor can then only show them homes with their specifications. I didn't think I was asking too much for the house not to be falling down around me, full of water and mold or inhabited by squirrels in the walls.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:38 PM

Flamingomo, please read the posts before mine before drawing incorrect conclusions. Let me try and explain it to you, though:

I was referring to someone on HH episodes who said laundry facilities close to the kitchen were unsanitary. Since I think laundry facilities close to the kitchen are fine, I said "feel free to call me unsanitary then" (bc mine are actually close to the kitchen, and I like it that way). To that, after the comma, I added "I hate laundry facilities in basements", which yes, is my opinion.

As for the basement, I do not like basements, and keep my point. I see no reason why someone would want to, for example, have guests over in a basement when I suppose there is a whole house above ground to do that. But, as everything I post, this is merely my opinion. On that note, there were some other HGTV shows in which people spent a lot of money doing huge renovations on their basements, and I say all the power to them if they like it!

Answering your question, like I said on a former post (again, if you care to read it) I said I would prefer to have no basement, period. If I absolutely loved a house that had one, instead of having a space I simply detest sitting empty, since I would have paid for it anyway, I would merely use it to store stuff like garden tools and any bulky items, that is all. In this case, it makes perfect sense.

If your basement is great, good for you. I am not criticizing other people, I am stating my opinion only. I hope you realize that, no need to go "haha!"...

Back OT, I just mentioned the basement thing bc it is interesting to notice some people make a big deal of something others (in my case) would rather not have whatsoever. I am sure I also probably make a big deal out of something that might be irrelevant for other people. For example, I absolutely wouldn't buy a house without VERY high ceilings. No amount of granite or ssteel would make up for that. Other people might find that irrelevant, or just detest high ceilings, and I am perfectly fine with that. It is their point of view, they are free to say it. I am not buying them a basement, they are not buying me high ceilings.
Simple as that, everyone is happy.

Again, it is nothing but a cultural difference which I might not understand but I acknowledge and respect, and expect the same courtesy extended to me.

Last edited by Miaiam; 08-05-2011 at 01:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV