Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 01:17 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,423 times

Advertisements

Yeah, the whole "it's a deal breaker if the master bath doesn't have 2 sinks" is stupid. I know people who have houses like that and they say they RARELY use them at the same time. Maybe if they are running late to get somewhere, but that's it.

And yeah, it cracks me up that "way back when" households with 3, 4, 5+ people managed with only one bathroom and yet now it's like absolute horror at having only 1 bath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 10:51 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
My list of top 5 things that I consider to not be dealbreakers but are hyped up as such on HH:

1) double sinks in the bathroom. For all the reasons already mentioned.

2) stainless steel appliances. White and black appliances cook just as well and I don't know why home buyers are so quick to chuck relatively new looking, working white appliances

3) kids not sharing a bedroom. Why is it such a bad thing for same sex siblings to share a room? Why does every single child need their own jumbo sized room?

4) granite counters. Aren't there other, non-porous material out there? Even in houses featuring updated, nice counter tops, people balk b/c they aren't granite.

5) open layout where the little lady can see the kiddies playing in the living room while she's in the kitchen. In the past, children over a certain age have managed to not burn the house down or stuff items down their throat while out of direct eyesight of Mommy. I don't think not having a direct line of sight into the living room/family room is such a major deal breaker. Otherwise, stick them at the kitchen table/counter like my mom and countless other moms have done.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
My list of top 5 things that I consider to not be dealbreakers but are hyped up as such on HH:

2) stainless steel appliances. White and black appliances cook just as well and I don't know why home buyers are so quick to chuck relatively new looking, working white appliances

3) kids not sharing a bedroom. Why is it such a bad thing for same sex siblings to share a room? Why does every single child need their own jumbo sized room?

4) granite counters. Aren't there other, non-porous material out there? Even in houses featuring updated, nice counter tops, people balk b/c they aren't granite.

5) open layout where the little lady can see the kiddies playing in the living room while she's in the kitchen. In the past, children over a certain age have managed to not burn the house down or stuff items down their throat while out of direct eyesight of Mommy. I don't think not having a direct line of sight into the living room/family room is such a major deal breaker. Otherwise, stick them at the kitchen table/counter like my mom and countless other moms have done.
I agree on all of these!

I was lucky enough to have my own bedroom, as I only have a brother, but I have many friends who shared a room with same sex siblings. And news flash, the rooms were not HUGE. I've seen episodes where the parents say they can't have children sharing a small room. It's nice of mom and dad to think that, yes, but it's not necessary.

I also don't understand the big hype over stainless steel. Does it cook food? Yes. Does it keep things cold? Yes. Okay, that's all I care about.

And don't get me started on mom seeing the kids while they play. My friend had a finished basement that her kids would play in. She couldn't see them, but she did keep the door open while they were down there playing while she cleaned. Guess what? Everyone and everything survived. Same thing went in my house, and everyone else I knew.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:49 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:

Good post.

I don't know other Mothers, but after living in an apartment we get our first house, my mother had the basement finished for us to play down there, to keep the mess down there and probably stay out of her hair.
I don't know why the HH's mothers feel the need to see the children every second of the day.

and again on the SS appliances...

the milk still stays cold no matter what color the fridge is.

my cooking still sucks no matter what color the stove is.

I don't know why HGTV pushes the SS thing so much, are they trying to make you feel inferior if your appliances aren't SS, logically it doesn't make sense....Thankfully I am sensible and do what I want to do, not what the TV tell me to do.

and whats with having to have a hung master suite, whats wrong with these people????

Old 03-05-2012, 08:09 AM

187 posts, read 442,873 times
Watched last night where the couple was buying in St. Louis.

I love how the wife says,"this kitchen HAS to be gutted" at every one they saw. They were beautiful, functioning kitchens! I wanted to b%#ch slap her.

My kitchen has the ugly, original counters and cabinets, but I still manage to churn out great meals for my famiy!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:41 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
I wonder if the "wife" ever tells her Mother that her Mothers kitchen must be updated to the nearest millionth of a second?

it is a little annoying to keep hearing that everything has to be gutted updated and so on and so on.

really ???? ugh !!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:47 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetAsRain View Post
Watched last night where the couple was buying in St. Louis.

I love how the wife says,"this kitchen HAS to be gutted" at every one they saw. They were beautiful, functioning kitchens! I wanted to b%#ch slap her.

My kitchen has the ugly, original counters and cabinets, but I still manage to churn out great meals for my famiy!
Yep. It drove me crazy too. And they actually did gut the nice kitchen of the house they bought and replaced the white cabinets with....a different style of white cabinets.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:48 AM

441 posts, read 886,206 times
Quote:

very well said.

also as has been mentioned the hardwood floors, and the open floorplans...

the show isn't the same without Suzanne Wang, and it gets tiring seeing them all want the same things. used to love the show a year or 2 ago, and now it's become too repetitive

Old 03-06-2012, 04:42 AM

I've always wondered.............

When people buy in places like Chicago or San Francisco (cuz I remember those being like this) that have no parking, WHERE do they park if they keep the car???

I'm so not a city girl, so someone enlighten me please. Do you have to find a garage to rent, or just pray everytime you come home that you find a spot on the street?

Old 03-06-2012, 06:09 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I've always wondered.............

When people buy in places like Chicago or San Francisco (cuz I remember those being like this) that have no parking, WHERE do they park if they keep the car???

I'm so not a city girl, so someone enlighten me please. Do you have to find a garage to rent, or just pray everytime you come home that you find a spot on the street?
I have a couple of friends that live in Chicago. One gave up his car and uses mass transit, his roommate has a car. The roommate works a slightly earlier shift than the neighbors so when he gets home around 2 p.m. he can park in front his place most of the time. If we works late, he has to drive around the block a few times or park down the block. Another friend pays for a parking spot as part of his condo fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV