Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 08:49 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times

Advertisements

I think you more recent posters are all missing the point (which can certainly happen when this thead gets so long, instead of CD letting new thread start on a topic previously discussed years before).

Our point, early on, and through much of the thread was the HH couples who show an extreme sense of entitlement, and they not only wish for, but demand lots of "extras" that are beyond their price range. They also insist that these extras are "necessities. They believe "move-in ready" means "everything is already perfectly done to my taste."

For you guys, 4 BR and 2.5 baths with a bonus room might be a necessity, I get it. But you probably searched, and bought, in your actual price range, which was sensible. The majority of the HH couples have lower budgets and arrogantly demand extra bedrooms, upgraded fixtures, and want everything perfect. For the typical HH person, their budget is $150,000 and all their "necessities" and demands would mean a $300,000+ house. Many of them are young couples (22-25) who have only lived in their parents' homes, and they insist on having everything in their very first home that their parents have, but the parents might be in their 50s and have worked for years to afford that. They believe they "deserve" more than a "starter home" but they don't have the money to back that up.

That's what annoys most of us, and what we vent about in this thread. None of us are saying that extra bedrooms and bathrooms are not necessary or appropriate for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 11:18 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I bought a 3 BR/2BA as I need a home office and and a guest room as I have three adult kids w/families who live out of state, and other relatives who visit. I almost bought a 4 bedroom to have two guest rooms so parents wouldn't be stuck with kids. As it is, the kids like sleeping in the living room and watching TV all night.
I know, that would be horrible if the parents had to sleep in the same room as their kids while visiting someone, can you imagine???

Old 05-20-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I think you more recent posters are all missing the point (which can certainly happen when this thead gets so long, instead of CD letting new thread start on a topic previously discussed years before).

Our point, early on, and through much of the thread was the HH couples who show an extreme sense of entitlement, and they not only wish for, but demand lots of "extras" that are beyond their price range. They also insist that these extras are "necessities. They believe "move-in ready" means "everything is already perfectly done to my taste."

For you guys, 4 BR and 2.5 baths with a bonus room might be a necessity, I get it. But you probably searched, and bought, in your actual price range, which was sensible. The majority of the HH couples have lower budgets and arrogantly demand extra bedrooms, upgraded fixtures, and want everything perfect. For the typical HH person, their budget is $150,000 and all their "necessities" and demands would mean a $300,000+ house. Many of them are young couples (22-25) who have only lived in their parents' homes, and they insist on having everything in their very first home that their parents have, but the parents might be in their 50s and have worked for years to afford that. They believe they "deserve" more than a "starter home" but they don't have the money to back that up.

That's what annoys most of us, and what we vent about in this thread. None of us are saying that extra bedrooms and bathrooms are not necessary or appropriate for everyone.

exactly !

Old 05-20-2013, 04:59 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I have posted this before, maybe, but I do not want to see so many cookie cutter houses. Sometimes they are overpriced and sometimes they are not, depending upon what region of the country they are in.
I yearn to see interesting homes from varied parts of the country. Please. Once in awhile they throw me a bone, but not often enough. I've seen a few southern mansions, a few shotgun houses in NOLA, a few NE saltboxes, but overall there is too much ORDINARY.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have posted this before, maybe, but I do not want to see so many cookie cutter houses. Sometimes they are overpriced and sometimes they are not, depending upon what region of the country they are in.
I yearn to see interesting homes from varied parts of the country. Please. Once in awhile they throw me a bone, but not often enough. I've seen a few southern mansions, a few shotgun houses in NOLA, a few NE saltboxes, but overall there is too much ORDINARY.
it becomes the same ole same...the 2 story foyer, the open concept family room, 600 bathrooms.
it gets tired after a while.

we know, "spot" needs a huge fenced in backyard.......................yawn!!!

I would like to see some historical homes that a young couple would like to restore to its former glory, lets forget about the spoiled wife that needs a walk in closet the size of "Yankee Stadium"....

I agree, we need to see different types of homes.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:56 PM

862 posts, read 1,642,846 times
I would really bore you all. Each house we have rented or bought I add to my criteria of what I look for. The slope if any towards the house, what the shingles look like, what the HVAC system looks like, is there any evidence of leaking, roofs, foundation, plumbing, will our bed fit in the master bedroom - yes I will refuse a house where our king sized bed won't fit in it. My hubby added a cat and 2 pupdogs - total 3 cats 3 Shih Tzu - after we got the king sized bed and I a queen just won't cut it anymore. lol After our last house I have to consider closet space, but NOTHING like the people who have to have huge walk in closets. And I really don't mind if I have to keep some of our clothes in another bedroom. I mean, it will be a guest room and guests don't need alot - if any - closet space because they aren't going to stay for very long. No matter what THEIR plans are. After this house it is the ease to get to and adjust the HVAC dampers and replace the furnace filters. I prefer not to have stainless steel but that's not a big factor in why would buy a house.

Then of course there is where to put the litter boxes and are there any areas where we don't want the critters to go that we can't block off. [Last house around the furnace there was a hole the led inside the wall that the kitties could go to. We put a screen door on and blocked the furnace area so if the kitties came into that bathroom with us they couldn't get into the hole.] But I have to say our realtors have never heard any concerns from us as far as what we need for the pets as it is just something we look for but don't verbalize. Except our last realtor knew we had cats and told us that he thought the alcove would be a good place to put a couple litter boxes because we could gate them off from the pupdog. Loved that realtor!

Old 05-22-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post

\

The most recent discussion about extra bedrooms IS because somebody called it gluttonistic. So yes somebody IS saying that.

Last edited by serate; 05-22-2013 at 01:21 PM..

Old 05-22-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
\

The most recent discussion about extra bedrooms IS because somebody called it glutenous. So yes somebody IS saying that.

yes, that was me that said it was glutenous.

a single person does not need 4 bedrooms, please, and yes, I still stand by what I said

cant you do more than one "thing" per room.???? really.......

just in my kitchen alone, I can do about a 100 things......I don't need a seperate room for my computer, to fold clothes, to paint a picture, to cut wood, I mean really, you would be surprised at the amount of things I can do in one room.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
yes, that was me that said it was glutenous.

a single person does not need 4 bedrooms, please, and yes, I still stand by what I said

cant you do more than one "thing" per room.???? really.......

just in my kitchen alone, I can do about a 100 things......I don't need a seperate room for my computer, to fold clothes, to paint a picture, to cut wood, I mean really, you would be surprised at the amount of things I can do in one room.
I quoted you wrong so changed it, sorry. And I'm not saying YOU are wrong in thinking that. My only point was that yes there were people out there saying it was wrong to have more bedrooms than you actually need.

Our house is way too big for us and I wish it was smaller. But we pretty much had a week to look for a house in, and stupid restrictions on price from the bank - we had an amount we couldn't go UNDER in order to use the VA loan - so took the best of what we found. A few times a year we have visitors, and only ONCE in the 3 1/2 years we have been here has there been somebody sleeping in the 3 extra bedrooms which included grandkids in our room and on the floor in the living room lol. Our next house I would love to have a 2 bedroom, but will more than likely end up with a 3 bedroom. But no more 4 bedroom houses for us.

So no offence was meant to you. Sorry if you took it that way tho.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:36 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I mean really, you would be surprised at the amount of things I can do in one room.
Oh ... Do elaborate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV