Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 11:58 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Even better: When buyers say "Oh, look at those windows! They let in so much natural light!"

Well, duh ...

Me, either; it's all the same old, same old these days. They really do need a new formula.

How about "House Hunters Foreclosures"? LOL
Ah, but windows don't let in natural light at night They may let in the floodlights in your neighbor's yards though.

And I love ir... I really wonder if the couples really did buy this super perfect house even if it was over priced and overbudget how long they keep it.

My little house started out as a cheap reno in progress which stopped, no gas line, no electric or plumming. But wonderful potential. Its being improved as time goes on. Got repainted and reroofed last summer. I'll take it over something which puts you in high debt and get to that 'perfect' stage someday. Sometimes I'd like to smack these people and tell them that you never *expect* the things happening which don't fit in your plans .... but they will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 07:07 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I always wanted to see the faces of the HH's, when they got their first gas and electric bills after they bought their McMansions. They must think heating and cooling a 20 foot foyer cost nothing. LOL

because I cry every time I see my electric bill. I'm in the same apartment for 25 years, other than a computer everything is the same and my electric bill went up 4 times as much as the first day I moved here.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:33 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,546 times
Did anyone just watch House Hunters, where are they now? The wife was so annoying, she was about 30-33 and spoke like a valley girl. Why do they do that? I'm pretty sure they lived in Chicago.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:48 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
In your drinking game, you didn't mentioned getting a reward every time someone mentions they need a "great view". Tha View, Thur Veeeiiiiwww, Look at the Veeeeooooooo! (Even though their kids would most likely fall to their deaths off the deck/terrace/balcony that overlooks that view).

Since I don't drink, I say every time a comment about the VIEW is mentioned during an episode of HH or HHI, we get to eat a piece of Dove Promises chocolate candy. You pick whether milk, dark, or almond variety.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:24 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
My big thing as I look at houses on that show -- where would I put the Christmas tree?

Old 02-23-2014, 08:34 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
In your drinking game, you didn't mentioned getting a reward every time someone mentions they need a "great view". Tha View, Thur Veeeiiiiwww, Look at the Veeeeooooooo! (Even though their kids would most likely fall to their deaths off the deck/terrace/balcony that overlooks that view).

Since I don't drink, I say every time a comment about the VIEW is mentioned during an episode of HH or HHI, we get to eat a piece of Dove Promises chocolate candy. You pick whether milk, dark, or almond variety.

well it's true that location,location,location are the 3 most important considerations when buying.

The view is very important to me now, after living in a sub-division where my view was the back of all the 2 story homes built after my home.

Now my view can never be blocked, unless God builds a mountain; because I live way up in the mountains with a view to the town below and mountains all around and in the distance.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:39 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Ah, but windows don't let in natural light at night They may let in the floodlights in your neighbor's yards though.

And I love ir... I really wonder if the couples really did buy this super perfect house even if it was over priced and overbudget how long they keep it.

My little house started out as a cheap reno in progress which stopped, no gas line, no electric or plumming. But wonderful potential. Its being improved as time goes on. Got repainted and reroofed last summer. I'll take it over something which puts you in high debt and get to that 'perfect' stage someday. Sometimes I'd like to smack these people and tell them that you never *expect* the things happening which don't fit in your plans .... but they will.
you mean you didn't walk into the kitchen and upon seeing no granite counter tops declare: "well, I guess we can gut this kitchen"???

this happened in one of the recent episodes, the kitchen was in really good shape, modern, nice and after the wife complained about no granite the husband talked about gutting it. I literally predicted he'd say that.

they also wanted to knock down a wall "to open things up", "good for entertaining" , problem was about half of the cabinetry was located on that wall. so you lose half of your cabinets just so you can smell you cooking in the living room.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:20 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Did anyone just watch House Hunters, where are they now? The wife was so annoying, she was about 30-33 and spoke like a valley girl. Why do they do that? I'm pretty sure they lived in Chicago.
Could be she was just trying to talk the 'fad' style so she could appear on tv as being 'with it'.

The Valley Girl gibberish is just as annoying as the phony gravely voice.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:21 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Yesterdays' new episode where the woman was going on about haunted? Sorry -- they've reached a new low.

Oh, I saw that one. That lady! "This stained glass makes me think that the house is haunted!" . I need this room for my, "Zen space". Their dog had a name like a preppy little boy, "John Henry" or something like that. So annoying!

Old 02-23-2014, 03:10 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
well it's true that location,location,location are the 3 most important considerations when buying.

The view is very important to me now, after living in a sub-division where my view was the back of all the 2 story homes built after my home.

Now my view can never be blocked, unless God builds a mountain; because I live way up in the mountains with a view to the town below and mountains all around and in the distance.
If I had a view like that, without neighbors around me, I'd open the curtains. But some of the places this and some of the reno shows end up with have these large windows minus curtains or blinds. Who does that? When its cold and the wind is blowing how *cold* does that window get? Can you put a supersized strom window on it? I have two oversized windows on the back of my house with a lovely view of the highway. I'm putting up blinds which let in light but you don't see in. And they now have storm windows so if a branch breaks off a tree and sails into the window I don't have a big cold air draft.

I would really like to see some of the byers and designers think more in practical terms. What do you see out of that big window? What protect it in bad weather? How much colder or hotter will it make the room? Where's the cover for when you don't feel like being on display. Has everyone forgotten about *privacy*?

My other pet peeve is fences. I have chain link since the wind blows through it rather than blowing it over, but its going to have vines on it that make it private. I don't like how they little chunk of front yard is enough for the dog, or the little fence my small dog could get over is high enough. They will if you think that's enough and your dog will end up in neighbors yards. Just put in a real fence or buy a house with one. If your medium size dog who can jump is always in the street or the neighbors yard then you won't be a very welcome addition to the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV