Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 04:18 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,482,956 times

Advertisements

[quote=rkb0305;10276548]

Quote:
What do you all consider "dated?" I grew up in a house that was brand new at the time, 1972, and didn't get any real updating (aside from paint and carpet) until about 2004. To me, something has to be about 20-30 years old before I'd consider it "dated". My current house is about 13 years old. I see people on these shows complain about houses being dated that look a lot like mine . I think people are too picky and I think it is wasteful to gut and redo a kitchen that is maybe 10-12 years old!
Exactly! I don't really even consider it dated for at least 15 years, but that is just me and I don't mind something that old. Now shag, sculptured carpet of the late 70's early 80's seemed dated to me and that is why we just took it all out last month and put in bamboo floors. Pretty soon bamboo will be outdated probably.

I think for some people (at least on House Hunters) dated is anything that isn't granite, stainless, cherrywood cabinets and open floor plan. Oh and let's don't forget "lots of lot coming through the windows" as someone mentioned.

[quote=DreamWeavin;10276704]
Quote:
I agree! People-some-in this country have gotten so damned spoiled and greedy that it is sickening. SO many people would be so happy to just have a roof over their heads and some of the people on these House shows just irk me with their stupidity.
i really think they must script what the people say on the show because they all say the same thing!

Quote:
And the couples who MUST have twin sinks in the bathroom and want Huge bathrooms??? How much room do some people need in a freakin bathroom? AND--if I'm in the bathroom--no one else needs to be , so no need for two sinks. Besides which, there is normally at least one other bathroom or a half bath and these people act as though they wouldn't/couldn't and won't use that one if it's not in their Master bedroom
I agree it seems the way they talk that they will never be leaving that bedroom or bathroom and going into other areas of the house, because it they have to have the BIG bedroom Big bathroom and two sinks.
Our last house had two sinks in the bathroom, was huge and I don't ever remember a time in the 12 years we were there being in that bathroom brushing our teeth at the same time.

[quote=VickiR;10277032]

Quote:
Some of the "dated" features in my area...Raleigh, NC:
Brass lighting fixtures, brass door knobs

Berber carpet

Laminate kitchen/bathroom countertops

White cabinets (although I like them) in the kitchen and "country looking" cabinets

White/beige kitchen appliances
Probably those are dated everywhere too according to the House Hunter show. I must be "dated" ( yeah I am) because I love all those things. I can remember when you "had to have" the berber carpet. I missed out on that, that's why we just barely tore out the sculputured shag. lol

Quote:
Remember when "grandma's house" had hardwood floors and they got tired of the cold and covered them with carpet?

Remember when "grandma's house" got tired of tile in the bathrooms because they are hard to clean and they preferred "linoleum"?
Yes on both of those things. Now in the older homes, the carpet is coming off and the beautiful floors are there.

Quote:
How long before Stainless Steel appliances and granite becomes "dated"?!!
That is what I am wondering and what will be the new "in" thing.

The most annoying thing to me on House Hunters is the closet comments. The wife looking at the husband will say "here is my closet, where are all your clothes going to go" And then they both laugh....come on it just isn't funny after about the 100th time of hearing it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 05:01 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
good for you!! wonderful to find what you want in your price range.
Annoys me too when they go on and on about the color of the walls!! OMG-makes me wanna slap em!
MOST annoying statement I hear on the show is: "I love the window and how light comes in"...............huh? don't all houses have windows and doesn't light come in all windows???
Guilty as charged!

I lived 20+ yrs in a house with narrow windows, kept in the gloom by mature trees on the property. Windows that let in a lot of natural light were near the top of my "must have" list when I went house hunting. I'm certain my real estate agent heard me say that exact phrase more than a few times.
My new house has a picture window that is nearly 10 ft long.

FWIW I'd love to see an episode done in Detroit, just out of curiosity about the current market there.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:40 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
I just love all the shows a ton!!

Old 08-14-2009, 05:50 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Guilty as charged!

I lived 20+ yrs in a house with narrow windows, kept in the gloom by mature trees on the property. Windows that let in a lot of natural light were near the top of my "must have" list when I went house hunting. I'm certain my real estate agent heard me say that exact phrase more than a few times.

FWIW I'd love to see an episode done in Detroit, just out of curiosity about the current market there.

LOL-you get a pass

Old 08-14-2009, 06:01 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Guilty as charged!

The other thing I was thinking w/ the "windows" and "light" comments are the homeowners that even when their house is for sale flat out refuse to OPEN THE WINDOW TREATMENTS at all. It is like walking into a dark dungeon. If the house is the least bit dirty or the carpets/walls dirty or such it just makes it appear even moreso. Opening up the window treatments lets in a lot of light and brightens things up. Yet there are hardliners that just refuse to realize that although they might like living in a cave potential buyers won't.

My parents house they lived in for almost 30 years was the same way. The HUGE living room had two very small narrow windows that were probably about 16" wide. The only window in the family room was the sliding glass door. Hmm, I can count the number of windows in that ENTIRE house. For about 2000 sq ft the house had a total of EIGHT windows. Three of those were in each of the 3 bedrooms so that left 5 for the formal living room, formal dining room, kitchen and family room. Their "new" house has a TON of huge windows and they like that they can actually see out.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:24 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
I think the producers of the show tell them to be as vocal as possible and find something to complain about in every room. I think the three phrases I mention above are the stand-by if they can't think of anything.

You may have hit the nail on the head. That is probably exactly what is going on. Never thought about that.

And since The show is a whole lot less spontaneous than I thought--I guess I won't enjoy it as much--what with the news that the "hunters" already have a house under contract when they are picked to do the program and the looking is all for show.

Re: the show Property Intervention --I too am amazed at the lack of willingness to accept reality--and the sheer rudeness of some of te owners with their defensive attitudes about their property.

But--ain't it fun to eavesdrop a little?!

Old 08-14-2009, 08:06 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
I far much more prefer property intervention than house hunters. Its more realistic based on the current market - other irritating show: What's my house Worth - the long pause between the question and answer and the stupid faces and then you get the listing - not sales price. Hell I can list something for anything - it doesnt mean it will sell!

Old 08-15-2009, 12:40 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,482,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
I far much more prefer property intervention than house hunters. Its more realistic based on the current market - other irritating show: What's my house Worth - the long pause between the question and answer and the stupid faces and then you get the listing - not sales price. Hell I can list something for anything - it doesnt mean it will sell!

I love that Real estate intervention. Do you think they tell the people to always think their home is better than it really is. Most the ones I have seen the people never can accept that their home might not be as good as the one that their home is being compared with. The one last night the other house definitely had the better master bedroom suite...it was gorgoeous and then the two bedrooms were compared and the owner said, well the room seems small. Come on....the other house had the better bedroom. I think it has light greenish tones and the owners had yellow.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:04 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
The hugh baths with the spa atmoshere? I don't get it. When I was working and raising kids and traveling and keeping a house going--I didn't have time for anything more than hygiene in the bathroom.
Yes, I remember the years of little fingers stretching under the bathroom door.........this is IF they weren't already INSIDE the bathroom with you. The size of the bathroom was irrelevant as long as the toilette flushed.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:24 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
Chickrae - as someone who had to sell in a bad market - no I dont think at property intervention they tell homeowners to think their home is worth more. Its just a natural instinct to not want to walk away at a loss or even after years of an escalating market. Particularly because most of these people are accustomed to the steady home increase and "free equity." The reality is very sobering and depressing. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV