Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 12:08 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I currently live in an open concept cabin style home. Leasing w/option to buy because I didn't want to buy outright until living in such a home before knowing if it's what I wanted to buy.

I love the kitchen combined with the Great room. But that's just me. It isn't for everyone. It works in this particular home because of the cabin style. It certainly is not for everyone I can tell you that.
I happen to be a clean freak, OCD type therefore my kitchen area is spotless and everything is in it's place. But it is a really great gathering place and is quite lovely. Just wanted to share my personal experience with the open concept. It has a comfortable feel to it. I can and do listen to or see the large TV in the living area. No complaints at all on the issue.

Now ask me about the up-keep of a cabin and I could give you a long list..............

Just a quick hi-jack. I'm so envious of you We rented a lodge in the blue ridge mountains and it was just so beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 08:23 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Yes, the show IS scripted.

In my area of Raleigh, NC, we have lots of new homes. Most of them do have the open concept. It is almost like having a huge loft space. "I" am not a big fan but lots of my clients are.

I live in a home that is 22 years old. We have an opening between the family room and kitchen. Right now, I am boiling potatoes and have the fan on. I can hardly hear the TV. I can't imagine how anyone would watch TV and be able to hear it while someone is cooking in those totally open homes!

I think we will slowly see the spaces being closed!
Last night, while I was in the den watching TV, hubby went into the kitchen to get a drink. He decided he wanted crushed ice, from the fridge dispenser.

There is about 20 ft. from where I sit on sofa to the fridge and I couldn't even hear the TV!

Keep in mind that I only have about a 6 ft. opening between the kitchen and the den.

I'm just not sure all this "open ness" works with kids or loud spouses!!!

If I lived alone, I'd love it!

However, my clients love it so builders will build what sells!

Old 07-09-2014, 09:05 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
If you have more than one TV, and you live with someone that does not have the same viewing habits, go ahead and have the open concept, but you'd better have a separate room somewhere so you can watch something on a TV without having to wear headphones.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:58 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
If I hear one more person say the words: "Warm and welcoming" or "Open and airy" I think I'm going to to throw one of the cats at the tv. (j/k).

I like House Hunters renovation better than the regular house hunters.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:45 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Had to share with you all: "79 Thoughts you have while watching House Hunters"
http://www.buzzfeed.com/adamdavis/th...615483#1vwxpxs

Old 10-01-2014, 08:12 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Hilarious!

Old 10-02-2014, 01:47 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
Hysterical! Wait, who was in my living room with me when I was watching House Hunters?

Old 10-02-2014, 01:54 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
I think that whoever wrote that must have read our thread. Especially the "drink" when you hear "open floor plan."

Old 10-02-2014, 02:45 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,109,923 times
I can hardly believe it. I saw an episode last night where the husband actually had a little lick of common sense. He had thought he wanted cathedral ceilings until he rented a house where there were those ceilings and his utility bill was running $500 a month. Now he wanted normal ceilings. If he had lived there long enough to have had to wash the windows WAAAAYYYYYY UP THERE he would refused to have even looked at a house with cathedral ceilings.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:30 PM

202 posts, read 310,963 times
[I can hardly believe it. I saw an episode last night where the husband actually had a little lick of common sense. He had thought he wanted cathedral ceilings until he rented a house where there were those ceilings and his utility bill was running $500 a month. Now he wanted normal ceilings. If he had lived there long enough to have had to wash the windows WAAAAYYYYYY UP THERE he would refused to have even looked at a house with cathedral ceilings.]

Was this the same one where the wife did NOT (!!!) want granite counter tops? If not the same episode, it was very recent.

That's it. The Poles have shifted and life as we know it is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV