Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 09:14 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,533,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Ok, that wasnt what I was expecting. Kind of depressing
I missed what she did at Duke and Anna's fake wedding. It was sort of strange to have her opening and closing the show, in my opinion, since she's sort of a villain, and I don't know if she's even an contract player.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 10:12 AM

860 posts, read 1,110,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
There are white characters that have been on the show for at least 10 years. The same cannot be said for the black characters. Blacks come and go.

Fine. You asked. However, even if the writers said nothing, the proof is onscreen and clear as day, if you have eyes.

Why do the white characters far, far, far, far outnumber the blacks? There are no black leads. No black couples. No black families. And the few that are on are used as tokens. For example: How often is Epiphany shown?
Also:

There hasn't been a black wedding since Brian and Claudia in the early 80s.

There are no black babies/kids on GH.

No black friendships.

There are no black love scenes on GH. Shawn and Lainey would be a hot, gorgeous black couple....but for some reason, a black couple is not allowed on GH.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:15 AM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
Well, I'm not sure what you expect us to do about it here on city-data. Haranguing us about your beef with GH's producers and ABC isn't really productive.

And just because you "read something on an internet message board" doesn't make it true. People, especially people who enjoy ginning up arguments (i.e. trolls) assert false information as fact all the time just to anger others and create something to argue about.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Well, I'm not sure what you expect us to do about it here on city-data. Haranguing us about your beef with GH's producers and ABC isn't really productive.

And just because you "read something on an internet message board" doesn't make it true. People, especially people who enjoy ginning up arguments (i.e. trolls) assert false information as fact all the time just to anger others and create something to argue about.
I read interviews by the writers themselves. Some from the internet. Some from magazines. But if you have eyes, you can easily see that blacks are not treated equal to whites on soaps. Even if they said nothing, their actions speak it.........by not respecting blacks on GH.

There's no beef. I'm just stating and pointing out the lack of blacks on GH. Apparently, GH has a beef with black characters/actors. Which is really sad in the year 2014.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:50 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Of course Sabrina will end up pregnant by Patrick! Patrick and Robin can't be happy for more than a few hours, right? If this comes to pass, I'm guessing she passes it off as Carlos', and nosy Felix butts in and spills the beans.

Quote:
And obviously they do have something against black people as they are still treated like tokens on the show. General Hospital is racist against blacks!
Oh, good grief ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Oh, well.....I realize some questions about soaps (and making sense or living in reality) are pointless and will never be answered to my satisfaction.
Sometimes you just have to suspend reality! None of much what happens on soaps makes sense anyway, right?

Quote:
Felix does not have his own story.
Thank the heavens.

Quote:
You should be able to find it on the internet. I read about it from some soap boards. Gloria Monty, Jill Phelps (allegedly stated viewers don't want to watch old people and blacks), Robert Guza, and a writer from OLTL named Paul Rauch. Paul Rauch fired Ellen Holly, Al Freeman Jr. and Lillan Hyman simply because they were black. Even Erica Slezak commented about it. Paul Rauch also went over to the show GL and fired all the blacks as well.
Sources for this "information"?
Quote:
Claudia, Dara, Simone, Taggert, and Keesha are GH vets? Why can't they return to the show, at least for a few episodes?
Because they were boring? Well, except for Taggert ...

Old 12-29-2013, 07:47 PM

8,626 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
GH does not feature any blacks in frontburner storylines. There are some white writers who have even admitted to not knowing how to write for blacks (which is racist as well. That attitude hints that blacks are not normal as whites) and some even admit to not wanting to write for blacks. The few blacks on the show are used as tokens and rarely given a storyline...........yet many, many, many, many whites are front and center and have been since the beginning of the show. How is that not racist and unequal?

Blacks are ignored on GH and treated as insignificant or afterthoughs.........bottomline.

White racists shun blacks and that's exactly what GH is doing. They keep a few around as merely tokens.
I and many others have already agreed with your thoughts of how soaps do not offer enough representation for blacks. However, why do you insist on repeating yourself post after post? Also, please stop using the word racist if you don't know what it means. In addition, let's please try to keep this thread constructive and positive or I'll ask the mods to delete it. If you would prefer to create a thread so that you can repeat yourself incessantly, please go ahead and do so in a different thread.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I and many others have already agreed with your thoughts of how soaps do not offer enough representation for blacks. However, why do you insist on repeating yourself post after post? Also, please stop using the word racist if you don't know what it means. In addition, let's please try to keep this thread constructive and positive or I'll ask the mods to delete it. If you would prefer to create a thread so that you can repeat yourself incessantly, please go ahead and do so in a different thread.
I haven't seen "many others' agree with me, at least not on this board. You are the only one that seem to agree with me about blacks being ignored on soaps.

Other posters keep asking me the same question, hence I reply to it.

And I know what the word means, and I know what it means when a particular group is ignored.

Last edited by Sprite97; 12-29-2013 at 08:23 PM..

Old 12-29-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Because they were boring? Well, except for Taggert ...
There are plenty of white characters who are boring, yet they remain on the show.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:

Sources for this "information"?
Do a google search. The interviews are a couple of years ago. However, you can read Ellen Holly's book where she talks about Paul Rauch.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Oh, good grief ...
That's how I feel about GH. Do they know it's the year 2014?

Last edited by Sprite97; 12-29-2013 at 08:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV