Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2014, 01:17 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Yes, he's the original Victor. Then he was on Days of Our Lives for a long time.
Quote:

Ok, I think that's where I'm remembering him from. I was an on-again/off-again viewer of DOOL for a while.

The original Helena was Elizabeth Tailor--but you probably knew that.
Yeah, I remember that. I wasn't watching it back then but it was common knowledge.

I also remember Luke and Laura's wedding; again, I wasn't watching back then but I was a waitress at the time and I remember the restaurant's hostess and bartender having that episode on on the t.v. in the bar and all of us sneaking in between customers to watch it.

It was some time after that that I became a regular viewer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 01:20 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I watch GH to escape logic. IF they ever tried to make it logical, I would prolly stop watching.
It's like those SyFy movies . . . If they ever get real actors or use anything more than Microsoft Paint style graphics, they wouldn't be entertaining. Embrace the hilarity! Relish the bad make-up jobs! Be in awe of Sonny's big gun!!! he he he
I know. I keep telling myself to just watch it for what it is - comedic entertainment.

I miss Another World. It was a great soap that had its share of clandestine affairs, shady business deals, and dysfunctional families - but I don't remember it veering off into these realms of impossibilities that GH does.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:09 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
Another World was, is, and always will be my favorite soap ever. Maybe even my favorite show of any type. So I admire your good taste. [/bows] It's too bad the GH crew only seems interested in working in references/characters from ABC soaps, because I think Carl Hutchins would make the Cassadines look like rejects from an episode of Honey Boo-Boo.

But back to topic:
Quote:
I hear horses in the background once in a while but where is the stable person?
There are very few stable people on this show, that's for sure. Not a single one to spare. --Oh, did I misunderstand?

Old 02-01-2014, 06:07 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I also remember Luke and Laura's wedding
Funny you should mention it; I watched the wedding the whole way through for the first time last night. I'd seen bits and pieces, but never the entire two-episode event.

I remember being really pissed at my boss that day - he gave me an assignment that took place from 2 to 5 that afternoon; I was planning to plead illness and go home a couple of hours early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I miss Another World. It was a great soap that had its share of clandestine affairs, shady business deals, and dysfunctional families - but I don't remember it veering off into these realms of impossibilities that GH does.
I think the veering into impossibilities - Dark Shadows aside - is a relatively recent thing. There always have been people coming back from the dead, evil twins, bizarre coincidences, forgotten out-of-wedlock children, and plot holes you could fly a 747 through, but they were never as numerous or as audacious as they are on today's soaps.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:28 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
I've been a soap fan for most of my life, and I can say that the more outrageous plots have been around longer than ~15 years, but we've just developed such an immunity/tolerance to it that the writers have to keep topping themselves with increasing frequency just to keep up. Melrose Place is a classic example of how they did one or two OTT plots, and when they were well-received, the writers had to top them to keep up the buzz. Eventually they could not keep up with the outrageousness and it all came crashing down. Same with Days in the 1990s, though it managed to correct itself.

I have to admit I love a flight of fancy once in a while (even AW, classic soap as it was, had its share). If it entertains and still keeps the show from losing all credibility, then I'll go along. GH had Casey the Alien when Robin was barely older than Emma, and of course the Ice Princess probably started the whole sci-fi/fantasy/action-adventure slant to daytime, so it isn't THAT new. OLTL had the underground, futuristic city of Eterna. GL had a clone; AW had a disfigured time traveler mess with Rachel and her family; ATWT had a doctor aging three of the town's young women in a sinister spa. Some of the plots were hits, and some were total misses, but they've been trying this stuff for decades and I think the only thing that has stopped them from escalating further is the incredibly shrinking budget.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:57 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,533,906 times
I loved that Casey the alien storyline! It was so fun. OLTL also had their back-in-time story with Vicky as Ginnie, and Bo was there and some hoo-ha about something and then David Vickers ended up being Bo's son!? I may have mixed up a few stories there.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:22 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
I cant keep all these soaps straight, but now I think Im following the stages of all addictions. GH was my gateway soap, now I need more!! MORE . . . *h!c*

I tried watching Days of our Lives just because of its close proximity to GH on the Soap Channel, but felt like I needed to bath in bleach after some of the episodes. I haven't watched it since SOAP went away. The situation with the priest, the permanently scowling Kate, the Gabby/Nik Fallon stuff and worst of all-Raphe! C'MON MAN ~ WAKE UP!!!!!! In any scene, his 'acting'(?) runs the gamut of emotions from A to B. The average wooden cigar store indian is more animated and alive.
Whats another good one to invest a little free time in?

Old 02-02-2014, 11:02 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,533,906 times
Unless you habla español, there are only 2 others. The Bold and the Beautiful and the Young and the Restless. I can't vouch for either of those.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:07 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I've never cottoned to the CBS soaps outside of a short immersion in Y&R in the late 70s when a friend of mine was hooked. So for me, too, that leaves only GH and Days.

And gosh, at one time I kept up with all the ABC soaps -- from Ryan's Hope at noon to Edge of Night at 4 -- and Days. It's a wonder I had time to do anything else. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I've been a soap fan for most of my life, and I can say that the more outrageous plots have been around longer than ~15 years, but we've just developed such an immunity/tolerance to it that the writers have to keep topping themselves with increasing frequency just to keep up.
I think it's the increasing frequency that's different. Every Ice Princess adventure or gorilla romance storyline was an annual occasion, if not biannual. Now it seems every quarterly sweeps period is filled with eye-popping ridiculousness.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:25 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Now that Princess Whiny Pants has ordered a DNA test on little Ben and Dante, we can probably skip the next month before results, most likely sabotaged by Obrecht once she gets wind of it, are revealed. Then it'll take another 6 weeks for Dante to find out, then another 6 weeks for him to tell Lulu...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV