Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 07:51 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,251,089 times

Advertisements

My favorite all time HBO series, The Wire, has been shunned again receiving only a nod for best writing. Even the several nominations for the excellent Mad Men are not compensation for that omission.
The complete list here:
Academy of Television Arts & Sciences

"The Wire," the critically acclaimed HBO drama about police and drug dealers in Baltimore, lost its last shot at ending years of Emmy snubs after wrapping its final season.
'Mad Men,' 'Damages' make Emmy noms history - Salon.com (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 09:03 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,280,478 times
Thanks for the info. I was happy to see that Dexter got a best drama and best actor nod.

I have never watched the Wire. Is it out on DVD? Maybe I will Netflix it.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:41 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,251,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj_fla View Post
Thanks for the info. I was happy to see that Dexter got a best drama and best actor nod.

I have never watched the Wire. Is it out on DVD? Maybe I will Netflix it.
I love Dexter and Michael C. Hall. Hall turned in a superior performance in Six Feet Under. I don't have Showtime, and I've only seen the first season of Dexter so I'll have to rent the second season when it's released.
It took me awhile to get into The Wire because of violence, numerous characters and lots of street jargon which I didn't understand at first. After I got over those hurdles, I was completely mesmerized. There were five seasons of The Wire so I'm sure Netflix will have a few out already.

Here's a good review of the Wire:
Beyond good and evil in Baltimore - Salon.com
Nine good reasons to watch The Wire:
The Wire is unmissable television | TV & radio | Guardian Unlimited

Old 07-17-2008, 11:36 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,355 times
I was so happy to see Dexter and Michael C. Hall nominated! That show rocks. When we move, we are getting Showtime just for this show! I don't watch a lot of the cable dramas so I'll refrain from comment. Glad to see Lost nominated but don't know why Matthew Fox or Terry Quinn weren't nominated. They both were great this year. I'm just glad the Sopranos is off the air. Did not understand why they show won year after year.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:04 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,642,228 times
glad to see mad men get a nod, as well as Jon Hamm. also, the John Adams mini series. some of the other stuff, you have to really wonder who/how they really choose.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:14 PM

845 posts, read 2,742,562 times
The Wire is one of the best tv series ever and not a single major nomination. Yet Two and a Half Men gets nominated year after year. I don't get it. The Emmys are worthless and I will not be watching since they do not know what true talent is.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:14 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,405 times
I agree tigerlily, the wire was genius, omar might be one of my all time favorite tv characters, but I'm beginning to think that having the emmy's overlook you is actually a good thing. Their judgement on what is good tv is a joke. Although I do like mad men, glad they got a nod.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:41 AM

360 posts, read 992,571 times
How can anyone take the Emmys seriously anymore? This is an institution whose winners (not just nominees) include James Spader, Charlie Sheen and Tyra Banks. What a joke!

Old 07-19-2008, 08:58 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,225,444 times
I find the Wire and Dexter excellent series.
I'm also glad that Weeds and 30Rock have been nominated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV