U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 08:45 AM

3,542 posts, read 9,013,612 times

Advertisements

anyone like this show ? i think it's a pretty interesting show to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 01:15 PM

1,184 posts, read 2,474,640 times
I find Geo to be annoying and everytime he tells me It's Tougher in Alaska I literally want to reach out and slap his chrome dome. I've lived in South Texas all my life and it gets hot, muggy and buggy here - granted, Alaska has some spectacular weather but Geo makes it sounds like it's the worst of the worst and he's the toughest of them all. I've worked some pretty spectacular fire and hazardous material emergencies in South Texas thunderstorms and near tonadoes and I would never dare to say it's tougher in South Texas. Jobs are tough everywhere.

While in college, myself and the fire chief for BP/ARCO drove a new ambulance from Anchorage to Prudhoe Bay over a 36 hour period so I appreciated the show on the Dalton Highway. However, I was more interested listening to the truck driver than Geo slobbering all over himself. Geo needs to lower his ego volume from "8" to "2."

Geo could learn a little humility from Mike Roe.

If you put aside Geo's babble, I really enjoy the show. I think a similiar show could be produced about Iowa farmers, refinery workers, California ship builders, steel mill workers, custom harvesters during the wheat, soybean, corn and sorghum harvests and other interesting professions.

With all this being said, I especially enjoyed the shows about electric linesmen and Alaska State Troopers.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:05 PM

Talking a whole different way of life

Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
I find Geo to be annoying and everytime he tells me It's Tougher in Alaska I literally want to reach out and slap his chrome dome. I've lived in South Texas all my life and it gets hot, muggy and buggy here - granted, Alaska has some spectacular weather but Geo makes it sounds like it's the worst of the worst and he's the toughest of them all. I've worked some pretty spectacular fire and hazardous material emergencies in South Texas thunderstorms and near tonadoes and I would never dare to say it's tougher in South Texas. Jobs are tough everywhere.

While in college, myself and the fire chief for BP/ARCO drove a new ambulance from Anchorage to Prudhoe Bay over a 36 hour period so I appreciated the show on the Dalton Highway. However, I was more interested listening to the truck driver than Geo slobbering all over himself. Geo needs to lower his ego volume from "8" to "2."

Geo could learn a little humility from Mike Roe.

If you put aside Geo's babble, I really enjoy the show. I think a similiar show could be produced about Iowa farmers, refinery workers, California ship builders, steel mill workers, custom harvesters during the wheat, soybean, corn and sorghum harvests and other interesting professions.

With all this being said, I especially enjoyed the shows about electric linesmen and Alaska State Troopers.

YEAH, i agree with him being annoying. but as far as the show it's really good and i learn alot about the ways of life up there. you guys down in texas already have your own show...lol... black gold... you ever see that ? that's a ass busting job for sure. i think they do alaska because of the servere weather conditions they get and how different life is up there compared to the lower 48. when you see eveything has to be built above ground and some parts up there it's like living back in the 1940's...no indoor bathroom...you got to be kidding me. i couldn't live like that.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:21 PM

1,184 posts, read 2,474,640 times
JFR

I won't deny any of what you said. Alaska is a very tough and rugged state and I enjoy shows like the one being discussed and Deadliest Catch. I say Geo would cry like a small child after 12 hours on the Northwestern, Time Bandit or Cornelia Maria.

I haven't been able to remember long enough to watch Black Gold. Being a roustabout or roughneck is hard work. I just wish they could show how tough work is at a refinery - it's not easy and its pretty tough work physically and has the highest levels of safety.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:58 PM

3,885 posts, read 5,288,377 times
I haven't watched this one, but I may check it out. Has anyone seen The Alaska Experiment? It's over, but I think they still run the episodes. It was a great show.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:49 PM

12,857 posts, read 8,243,670 times
I watched the Alaska Experiment and I got so tired of the constant whinning that I stopped watching it.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:43 PM

7,920 posts, read 237,608 times
I didnt like it at first, but after i watched a few episodes i started to like it...

Old 07-27-2008, 11:17 AM

Talking tough jobs for tough people

Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
JFR

I won't deny any of what you said. Alaska is a very tough and rugged state and I enjoy shows like the one being discussed and Deadliest Catch. I say Geo would cry like a small child after 12 hours on the Northwestern, Time Bandit or Cornelia Maria.

I haven't been able to remember long enough to watch Black Gold. Being a roustabout or roughneck is hard work. I just wish they could show how tough work is at a refinery - it's not easy and its pretty tough work physically and has the highest levels of safety.

yeah, i agree. that he's not the big tough guy he comes off like. i tell ya i'd rather watch shows like this then some of the other stupid shows that are on. at least these are about real life. not some hollwood reality show. there are alot of tough jobs out there and alot of them are being shown on tv. you ever see AX MEN ? now that's a demanding job no dought.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:23 AM

Talking Don't send cry babies out to know where

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I watched the Alaska Experiment and I got so tired of the constant whinning that I stopped watching it.

yeah, me and DW were watching that for a few episodes and it got pretty stupid. sure, send a bunch of whinny city slickers into the middle of no where and tell them to survive..whata joke.. all they do is **** and moan about not having a 24 hour store to get food at......LMAO

Old 07-27-2008, 06:06 PM

3,885 posts, read 5,288,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
yeah, me and DW were watching that for a few episodes and it got pretty stupid. sure, send a bunch of whinny city slickers into the middle of no where and tell them to survive..whata joke.. all they do is **** and moan about not having a 24 hour store to get food at......LMAO
Other than the father and the sisters, the rest of the group really sucked it up after the first few episodes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV