Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 07:35 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times

Advertisements

My cell phone battery is always dead anyway.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:46 PM

578 posts, read 2,528,977 times
Thumbs down Rabbit Ears on Sale?!? OMG

Guess what I saw in the Family Dollar store "Sales" rack yesterday for $10 apiece? TV Antennae.

Are they serious? is nobody reading the announcements about Feb. 2009? Besides, I want to know what should we do with the cute little 6" blk/white battery-AC/DC TVs that we used during the Eastern Coast Blackouts, and many Power outages here in Michigan? We need regular tv, and I believe its a conspiracy to get into our homes and 'listen' in on the Satellites. BIG BROTHER OF THE WORST KIND.

How are those TVs going to be seen?

Old 08-14-2008, 01:37 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,273,923 times
If they are really desperate to spy on us, they will get really bored in my house. I like flipping thru channels and end up watching HGTV most of the time. And the weather channel.
And if it's spying of a different sort, they will find me reading books alot, surfing this site, and playing games at pogo. I lead such an exciting life. lol

Last edited by PinkString; 08-14-2008 at 01:38 AM.. Reason: ...

Old 08-14-2008, 08:54 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,609,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeleenieWeenie View Post
Guess what I saw in the Family Dollar store "Sales" rack yesterday for $10 apiece? TV Antennae.

Are they serious? is nobody reading the announcements about Feb. 2009? Besides, I want to know what should we do with the cute little 6" blk/white battery-AC/DC TVs that we used during the Eastern Coast Blackouts, and many Power outages here in Michigan? We need regular tv, and I believe its a conspiracy to get into our homes and 'listen' in on the Satellites. BIG BROTHER OF THE WORST KIND.

TV Antennae will still work as long as you have a converter box. I am so sick of the lies about this.

Yes, it's happening over money and lobbyists, yes in a lot of ways it is unfair, but it's not the end of the world, you don't have to get cable and it's hardly a big brother conspiracy. Good grief!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:13 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeleenieWeenie View Post
Or worse, how many toxic chemicals will leach into the groundwater supply when all these soon-to-be obsolete televisions find their way into landfills?

Quote:
Yes, it's happening over money and lobbyists, yes in a lot of ways it is unfair, but it's not the end of the world, you don't have to get cable and it's hardly a big brother conspiracy. Good grief!
Spoilsport.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,338 times
Default I wear a suit made of tin foil

Generally speaking, aren't we all getting played by the Government?
I had to pick up a converter box for my clunky cable-free TV. The "majority of households will NOT need one"... yeah, because they're all linked up to cable or satellite already and being tracked! Ha! How else is Big Brother going to get to us technologically-resistant individuals (or we're frugal or reading books or outdoors or whatever the case may be) other than through a government-mandated converter box? "You want TV? You want to watch the morning news? Then get this box or no TV for you!!"
I mean, look at the price of fuel..."let's jack up the prices, the big guys will make billions, the little guys will be scared just the way we like 'em, heh heh, after the election we'll drop the prices, heck- let's get it under $2 a gallon as a Christmas gift to the poor *******s!"
I'm not one of those "off the grid" conspiracy theory people by any stretch of the imagination, but I do wonder about Big Brother (and I am NOT talking about the CBS show) sometimes...

Old 01-06-2009, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,213 times
i wonder what this has to do with the amero theory...........hummmm

Old 01-06-2009, 04:12 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,182,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_last_call View Post
i wonder what this has to do with the amero theory...........hummmm
What is the amero theory?

Old 01-06-2009, 04:34 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrouchTigerHiddenDog View Post
A question on many minds, IMO. What do you think?
I'm not a scientist but I read the book, 1984, which is where "Big Brother" comes from. It's been a long time since I read the book but it seems to me that the government in 1984 was watching people through their television sets.

The converter boxes do not allow the government to watch you through your television. In order for that to happen, your television would have to be a camera with two way capabilities and they would all have to be hooked up to a central monitoring system.

When you think about it, the internet would be much more like Big Brother today.

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-06-2009 at 04:51 PM..

Old 01-07-2009, 12:02 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
In that case, I think it would be Nielsen, the media research group. They sent us a TV diary two weeks ago, along with $5.
Cheapos. Arbitron sent me 18 bucks to do a radio diary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.