U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 05:38 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,015,415 times

Advertisements

The opera singers going "I have a structured settlement and I need cash now....877-cash-now call J.G. Wentworth"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 06:12 PM

22,999 posts, read 17,958,677 times
All of the commercials that say something like "If you take this pill you wont get headaches anymore but you might die of a heart attack, go into convulsions, have your throat swell up so you stop breathing, your nose fall off, your liver stop functioning or have diarrhea and gas for five days straight." If you do almost die, be sure to tell your doctor because our anti-headache pill might not be right for you.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:56 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,863,235 times
Oh, I just remembered another one. I won't cite the company's name (don't want to break any CD rules about slander or whatever) but let's just say it's a home improvement company that allows consumers to buy directly, once you join their club.

The commercial is full of testimonials from satisfied club members who've saved thousands on cabinets and lighting and appliances and whatnot. Toward the end, one particular fellow says, in all earnestness, "<Name of company> has allowed me to live beyond my means".

I think I understand the sentiment (he can stretch his dollars by shopping with them) but I think the wording of the phrase is simply unfortunate. Many people blame our current situation partially on people trying to "live beyond their means". Somebody in marketing or editing dropped the ball when they decided to put that quote in the ad.

For what its worth, I've done some research on that company. My findings were very disheartening. My suggestion: if it looks tempting (and it truly does), please spend a little time on research first.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:45 PM

6,270 posts, read 12,508,032 times
OMG!! LMAO---toooo funny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
All of the commercials that say something like "If you take this pill you wont get headaches anymore but you might die of a heart attack, go into convulsions, have your throat swell up so you stop breathing, your nose fall off, your liver stop functioning or have diarrhea and gas for five days straight." If you do almost die, be sure to tell your doctor because our anti-headache pill might not be right for you.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:52 PM

2,141 posts, read 5,409,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Mine is Six Flags, more flags! Just shoot me.
Mine is this one too. It drives me nuts.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:15 AM

8,819 posts, read 15,326,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
And don't forget, you will also get uncontrollable farting and explosive diarrhea in public places..but at least you won't have that pesky headache anymore.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:27 AM

3,108 posts, read 1,142,552 times
There is a deodorant commercial where the chick is walking down the street and keeps lifting up her arms. She sees a cop car and lifts her arms saying don't arrest me gives a guy a high five and says I didnt even know that guy. Another one is the Free credit report commercials. I think it is some what shallow that he sings " I meet my dream girl but she has bad credit so our life sucks."

Old 08-12-2008, 10:47 AM

822 posts, read 1,847,020 times
1. the credit reporting where the guy and his new wife are living in a basement (I mean, he could just buy the house in his name)2. the new Ethan Allen commercial with the screens flashing ending with "do you have an appointment?" It seems like something a high school student might have thought up ...

Old 08-12-2008, 11:25 AM

5,852 posts, read 1,714,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
There is a deodorant commercial where the chick is walking down the street and keeps lifting up her arms. She sees a cop car and lifts her arms saying don't arrest me gives a guy a high five and says I didnt even know that guy. Another one is the Free credit report commercials. I think it is some what shallow that he sings " I meet my dream girl but she has bad credit so our life sucks."
I hate that commercial! That is definitely up there with Six Flags!!!!! Who the heck looks at the condition of underarms???? Just shave!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:47 AM

3,796 posts, read 5,472,735 times
Another one for Billy Mays.

Oh and the ones that make it seem like the girl is stupid for choosing a 4 year college over technical school. I don't have a problem w/ technical school - to each his/her own, but it's not necessary to try and get teens to think it's stupid to go to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV