U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 07:42 PM

43 posts, read 235,746 times

Advertisements

My vote is Dwight (Rainn Wilson) should be promoted.

That would be hilarious! I could see some really really funny story lines from him taking over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 08:39 PM

3,806 posts, read 4,998,065 times
Wayne Brady

I don't know what his character would be like though.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:15 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,236,543 times
I think they're considering Dwight, but it seems like they've already done things with Dwight in charge. Jim too. So some thoughts

Internal

Andy - Poor salesman and history of emotional problems, but it might be possible as Ryan was an even worse salesman and he became Michael's boss just because he was an "attractive" young man with an MBA. Andy went to Cornell so might fit. Plus we haven't seen him in charge of anyone and he's also kind of zany.

Stanley - If the show wants to shift focus to mostly not be about the boss. I say that because Stanley I think would likely just stay in his office doing work and crossword puzzles.

Darryl - From warehouse to boss. Maybe Kelly gets kind of excited with his new success and dumps Ryan for hopes of getting back with Darryl. (It would be nice if she dumped Ryan for a change, he's dumped her at least twice and once tried to have her fired I think)

I want to name a woman, but I don't think there's any woman internal that seems plausible to me. Phyllis just doesn't strike me as boss material and they don't seem to promote accountants. Pam is new to sales and, by most indications, not all that good at it. Granted neither is Andy, but his family money (connections?) and education I felt like made him more plausible in this fictional universe. Also Ed Helms's movie career I think is bigger than hers. Karen could make sense, but that actress seems fairly committed to Parks & Recreation.

External

Samantha Bee - Currently a Daily Show correspondent, they seem to have had good luck with those. Also a woman boss might be interesting.

John C. McGinley - He was apparently in the film "Office Space" and played kind of a gruff boss on "Scrubs."

Stephen Root - Played the boss on another great office sitcom, Newsradio. (Although "The Office" is much more dramatic and less "cartoony", which is actually neither an insult nor a criticism of either series. I find Newsradio funnier, but The Office is fairly often more emotionally gripping.) Also has experience working with executive producer Greg Daniels on King of the Hill.

Julie Fernandez - Disabled actress who played a minor role in the British "The Office." The actress has my condition, Osteogenesis Imperfecta, and I think it'd just be neat to see that on a regular sitcom. Also they have not had that much with disability on the series.

Alternate

End the series: Don't have a season after Carrell leaves. Consider seven seasons a good run and go out before you run the idea into the ground.

The Movie or "Radical Change": Have the eighth season be the last, but have it involve the fall-out of the documentary crew finally making a film or TV miniseries based on its footage. Jan suing the film's parent company, Angela getting disapproving looks at malls (so considers joining Jan's suit), Oscar getting lots more guys hitting on him, Erin getting the same (except straight guys), Dwight getting protests from Jewish groups concerning his "WWII was a mistake" comment, etc.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 08-25-2010 at 01:23 AM..

Old 08-25-2010, 07:00 AM

202 posts, read 491,350 times
I'm not sure about who should play it, but I think they shouldn't try to replace Michael with another goofball boss. Instead, they should have a boss character who is very serious and mean.

Now that Thomas has mentioned it, a wheelchair-bound, completely evil and conniving boss played by Julie Fernandez would be awesome. She could use people's discomfort and insincere political-correctness to her advantage. There would always be the question of whether the employees and we the audience should hate her because she's so cruel and mean, or have compassion for her because of her difficulties.

They could bounce us back and forth between those opposing viewpoints forever! Also, the writers could do some great work about some of the staff quietly working towards the evil manager's downfall, while other staff members become pathetic toadies. The evil manager could then foment a civil war amongst the staff for her amusement!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:21 AM

1,603 posts, read 2,681,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post

The Movie or "Radical Change": Have the eighth season be the last, but have it involve the fall-out of the documentary crew finally making a film or TV miniseries based on its footage. Jan suing the film's parent company, Angela getting disapproving looks at malls (so considers joining Jan's suit), Oscar getting lots more guys hitting on him, Erin getting the same (except straight guys), Dwight getting protests from Jewish groups concerning his "WWII was a mistake" comment, etc.

I actually love this idea!!!

I think that would be a great way to tie up loose ends and end the series.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:23 AM

8,259 posts, read 13,529,405 times
Kelly Kapoor enrolled in the minority management program this past season. So maybe she will take over, with Ryan controlling her as his puppet.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:29 PM

43 posts, read 235,746 times
THOMAS I love everything you said. SOO FUNNY!

I kind of wish they would end the series just because Steve Carrell really does such a good job, but I am hearing more and more the show will go on. I just hope it doesn't ruin such a great show. Ya know? There are so many great ways they could go, but sometimes writers just don't get it right!

I would LOVE to see a movie come from this series. They could totally go off the deep end. LOL

Old 08-25-2010, 03:31 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,579,451 times
I think it is just time for the show to end. It is a great show and I love it, but when characters that are as important as Michael Scott leave, it seems to ruin the dynamic. So many shows go through that and they just stumble. Might as well end while they are still ahead. JMHO.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:37 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,321,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Kelly Kapoor enrolled in the minority management program this past season. So maybe she will take over, with Ryan controlling her as his puppet.
Good observation .... could be?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:03 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,236,543 times
Hah, I'm such a self-critic because looking back on the ideas I was no longer sure they made any sense at all.

I'd hate for the only OIs in US TV and films to be villains, Samuel L. Jackson's being the only other one I know, but I do like the idea of a disabled boss who is tough, mean, and maybe foul-mouthed. (I don't think that's the same as "completely evil." She could maybe have a nice side or see her meanness as inspiring in something like the misguided way Michael sees his goofiness as inspiring.) I particularly like the idea of rudeness/meanness in a disabled character, doesn't have to be Fernandez here, who's a bit of a wispy looking woman.

Maybe have her be like Jan was, but not crazy. Or maybe she could be a total authoritarian and terror, but who has a surprisingly "girlish" hobby like doll collecting and secretly likes Dwight. (Although Dwight for his part just respects her as a boss and would never consider it. Not even when she mentions her Italian grandfather who shot 28 Allied soldiers in WWII.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or