U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 06:03 PM

3,852 posts, read 8,024,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
It's kind of strange how ratings and networks change. I looked it up and "The Office", currently has slightly less viewers than "Newsradio" did in its last season. Then network TV in general had more viewers and NBC comedies specifically had far more viewers so "Newsradio" was seen as something of a "ratings failure" that they'd maybe only kept for five seasons because it had a"cult following." (And maybe sympathy over Hartman's death) Now "The Office", despite having similar or smaller viewership, looks like a show they just can't let go rid of no matter what happens.

Which isn't to bash "The Office" precisely as they still have some good episodes on occasion, but it's interesting to me that at one time they would have almost certainly ended "The Office" with Carrell leaving, or at least clearly implied the season after him might well be the last, whether that would have been good or bad. I think it's possible even another network today might have decided the show had run its course. NBC is in less a position to do that. The "Fall of NBC" has really been spectacular.
Sure, they don't get as many ratings as they have in the past, but they're consistently #2 in the time slot, behind Grey's Anatomy. I highly doubt NBC would pull the plug on that kind of viewership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 12:33 AM

35 posts, read 80,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
Gabe and Erin are ok, but replaceable, and I can't see Andy and Erin as a couple, really working.
I see Andy and Erin working more than I see Gabe and Erin working...

Old 02-20-2011, 10:52 AM

756 posts, read 1,809,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil3nt611 View Post
I see Andy and Erin working more than I see Gabe and Erin working...
True, but she is too dumb either ways. The show already had Kevin as a funny dumb side, so it's just another dumb character that is not even as funny.

I think Andy could do better too.

Also, if Andy (Ed Helms) becomes the central lead character next season, they may want to have him to explore and date, before finding the right one.

While I like the large cast of side characters, I think NBC would be better off canceling the show.

NBC holds on too shows too long beyond their prime, and could be focusing the effort on finding the next fresh high ratings winner and landing it.

In NBC's case, they had Cheers which followed Cosby, Seinfeld which followed Cheers, Friends which followed Seinfeld, The Apprentice (back in 05 it was stronger) which followed Friends, and The Office which later settled in, but NBC maybe reluctant that now to let go of The Office without something else being a hit on Thursday night to carry the night.

While another season may outperform Parks and 30 Rock, I think it's better to find and promote something new to lead the 9pm slot, which could provide for another 7+ seasons.

I'd schedule Parks at 8, Community at 8:30, ____ new show at 9 that shows promise (like Modern Family to ABC last season), 30 Rock at 9:30 or 10, than committing to another season of The Office.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:12 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 48,405,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
True, but she is too dumb either ways. The show already had Kevin as a funny dumb side, so it's just another dumb character that is not even as funny.

I think Andy could do better too.

Also, if Andy (Ed Helms) becomes the central lead character next season, they may want to have him to explore and date, before finding the right one.

While I like the large cast of side characters, I think NBC would be better off canceling the show.

NBC holds on too shows too long beyond their prime, and could be focusing the effort on finding the next fresh high ratings winner and landing it.

In NBC's case, they had Cheers which followed Cosby, Seinfeld which followed Cheers, Friends which followed Seinfeld, The Apprentice (back in 05 it was stronger) which followed Friends, and The Office which later settled in, but NBC maybe reluctant that now to let go of The Office without something else being a hit on Thursday night to carry the night.

While another season may outperform Parks and 30 Rock, I think it's better to find and promote something new to lead the 9pm slot, which could provide for another 7+ seasons.

I'd schedule Parks at 8, Community at 8:30, ____ new show at 9 that shows promise (like Modern Family to ABC last season), 30 Rock at 9:30 or 10, than committing to another season of The Office.

Especially since Michael will be gone

Old 02-26-2011, 02:50 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 48,405,928 times
The episode this past Thursday was funny unlike the first 5 episodes of the season. I heard the episodes were better as the season went progressed

Old 02-26-2011, 09:21 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,240,819 times
I liked it pretty well. Packer was actually nicer to Hank than Michael was, telling Packer he should start "being nice to people who really matter" in front of Hank, and his alligator deal was almost cute. I hated him a tiny bit less for those two things. Unfortunately he is still a misogynistic creep so he would be terrible to work with or be around for any length of time.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:08 PM

23,003 posts, read 31,957,905 times
One thing Michael is doing this season is realizing that his previous heroes/friends aren't really that heroic. First, in WUPHF.com he realizes Ryan doesn't think all that much of him and he returns the favor. Then, Todd Packer talks smack about Holly and Michael lets Packer get tricked. That is one thing I notice about Michael this season.

Some things I want to see before the season ends.

- Toby stand up to Michael.
- Angela's state senator boyfriend finally gets his attraction to men brought to light (probably when he makes a pass at Oscar and Ryan.)
- Jim and Pam have an all out fight.
- Stanley or Phyllis do SOMETHING.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:52 AM

34,557 posts, read 42,724,437 times
I heard that Will Farrell is guesting at some point, and if anyone can be as painfully inappropriate as Michael, he can.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:29 PM

152 posts, read 182,790 times
I didn't know Michael was leaving the show. Wow, that really sucks!

(that's what she said).

Old 03-25-2011, 12:26 PM

3,852 posts, read 8,024,622 times
What a great episode/proposal last night. I may or may not have cried
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or