U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 03:16 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,961,375 times

Advertisements

he was better than I expected, maybe the show has new life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 04:01 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,890,034 times
I hope so because it's been a disappointment for the last couple years!

Old 04-15-2011, 07:09 PM

16,914 posts, read 3,478,840 times
Good post-I actually felt bad about the way Toby was treated....made me uncomfortable!

Read that James Spader might be joining the cast....IMO, he totally made "Boston Legal".....a great all-around talent . Hope he shows up on Office...show needs some new personalities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I have to say I enjoyed Will Ferrell on The Office last night. He makes a more believable boss, especially in the way he sees through the various kissing up that some of the people were trying.

I'd like to see a plot where they bring back Toby -- as an HR assistant that Will Ferrell really likes. I'd like to see what Toby would be like with a boss who isn't sabotaging him and being chronically cruel, and instead gives him confidence. I think they could have fun with that. Maybe they could have them smoking a joint together as a reference to one of Michael's sabotages. Plus, I'd love to have Michael and Holly visit, see Toby, go nuts about it, and then have the more confident Toby give Michael the smack down he's deserved for awhile.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:31 PM

1,592 posts, read 2,994,955 times
I think they should go a completely different direction with the new boss. Will Ferrell was a nice try but not quite. I think that the new boss should be the opposite of Michael: Not funny, rigid, politically correct, there to clean house after the mess Michael made of the place. An ex-marine would be good.

Now, I realize that miraculously under Michael, the Scranton office had the best sales record during a recession perhaps due to the "family" atmosphere he created, but lets say the company has been slapped with a harrassment suit, given Michael's atrocious management style, thereby forcing them to hire a boss who is strict and follows the rules to the letter. I would find that fun to watch, to see the dynamics that play out. Like I could see Dwight Shrute at first admiring the new hire and again trying to kiss up to him/her but finding his "inner Michael" after seeing just how obnoxious he is. I could see Andy get more serious and finally improve his sales record as this new militant boss whips him into shape. I could see Pam and Jim play pranks on the new chief. I could also see Dwight joining in. I could see even the most serious of the employees, like Angela and Stanley, who you would think would be relieved to see Michael gone, turn on the new boss as well. I could also see the new boss occasionally revealing a hypocritical side, showing the rules don't always apply to him/herself. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,024,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
I think they should go a completely different direction with the new boss. Will Ferrell was a nice try but not quite. I think that the new boss should be the opposite of Michael: Not funny, rigid, politically correct, there to clean house after the mess Michael made of the place. An ex-marine would be good.

Now, I realize that miraculously under Michael, the Scranton office had the best sales record during a recession perhaps due to the "family" atmosphere he created, but lets say the company has been slapped with a harrassment suit, given Michael's atrocious management style, thereby forcing them to hire a boss who is strict and follows the rules to the letter. I would find that fun to watch, to see the dynamics that play out. Like I could see Dwight Shrute at first admiring the new hire and again trying to kiss up to him/her but finding his "inner Michael" after seeing just how obnoxious he is. I could see Andy get more serious and finally improve his sales record as this new militant boss whips him into shape. I could see Pam and Jim play pranks on the new chief. I could also see Dwight joining in. I could see even the most serious of the employees, like Angela and Stanley, who you would think would be relieved to see Michael gone, turn on the new boss as well. I could also see the new boss occasionally revealing a hypocritical side, showing the rules don't always apply to him/herself. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Oh, I like these ideas! I totally agree having a completely different kind of boss would be more interesting (and also more realistic). Think how well it worked for MASH. You're right, Ferrell is fun but too similar in a lot of ways.

I like the other ideas, too. Hey, could you contact the show and offer your services as a writer? You seem to have better ideas than they do these days.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:08 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,024,007 times
So do you think bringing in Ferrell means this show has officially Jumped The Shark? Or did that happen a while back?

(They often say a show jumps the shark with the introduction of a major new character to "prop" things up.)

Old 04-16-2011, 04:13 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,911,240 times
The office can get a new "boss" every couple of months, since this would be like a real corporation - this is what they do. seriously... My spouse in one year had SIX different bosses.... once at a job, I worked for 6 months without a boss at all.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:19 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,211,685 times
That is true. They have very low "turn-over" and not just of bosses.

Anyway Ferrell was better than I feared. I don't care for him to be honest, but I think he toned himself down a bit and that was for the good. Still I think he's just temporary.

The problem I have with the idea of the new boss as "Not funny, rigid, politically correct, there to clean house after the mess Michael made of the place" is that I think that's kind of what they did with Charles Miner back in season 5. It didn't really work that well IMO. They might emphasize the boss right now, but it really is kind of an "ensemble" show so if one character isn't at all funny you just get kind of a black-hole IMO. Still possibly you could have "rigid and politically correct" be funny if it's slightly odd. Like the new boss could be a bit like how Angela originally was portrayed, but maybe with a rigid secular "PCish" morality rather than a religious one. Or maybe with a religious one too, but like Catholic or Orthodox Jewish. And maybe have him/her kind of look down on Angela as a hypocrite. (For a long time I've kind of wanted there to be a non-hypocritical religious character who could look down on Angela and make her re-evaluate herself. Granted Gervais would likely not tolerate a religious character that's anything other than a caricature, but I don't know how central he is to the show today)

I don't know. I do think the new boss should be funny or odd in some ways, but I agree it'd be a good idea to not make the new boss just Michael 2.0.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:20 PM

22,971 posts, read 31,897,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I have to say I enjoyed Will Ferrell on The Office last night. He makes a more believable boss, especially in the way he sees through the various kissing up that some of the people were trying.

I'd like to see a plot where they bring back Toby -- as an HR assistant that Will Ferrell really likes. I'd like to see what Toby would be like with a boss who isn't sabotaging him and being chronically cruel, and instead gives him confidence. I think they could have fun with that. Maybe they could have them smoking a joint together as a reference to one of Michael's sabotages. Plus, I'd love to have Michael and Holly visit, see Toby, go nuts about it, and then have the more confident Toby give Michael the smack down he's deserved for awhile.
I think Will didn't do too bad on the Office. I like how Ryan looks up to this new boss. No secret that Michael worshipped the ground Ryan walked on, I'm thinking the inverse may happen with Ryan and DeAngelo.

Since Michael's last episode is upon us, Toby should be brought back to get revenge on Michael.

For the permanent new boss, I think that the same thing should happen that happened with the corporate job at the end of season 3, when Ryan came completely out of left field and got the job. With the hints, internal candidates are Darryl, Kelly, Dwight, and Andy.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:22 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,211,685 times
I had this weird final Michael/Toby scene in my mind which is not really funny at all, and doesn't work due to deleted scenes, but went like this.

Toby: Michael now that you're going there's something I really need to tell you. My mother's name is Astrid.

Michael: Okay weirdo, why would I care about your mother's name?

Toby: Well Jan seemed to care. (He smirks)

Michael (thinking): Wait are you telling me that Jan named her baby after your mother?

Toby: Yes (A mix of discomfort and amusement from Toby. The amusement fades as he notices several in the office giving awkward looks.)

Michael: So you're telling me that Jan and your mother were friends?

Toby: Uhh (He sees a look on a couple faces than backs down) Yes Michael that's what I'm saying.

Michael: Wow she's crazier than I thought.

Toby: Yes yes she is. (Sighs) Good luck in Colorado Michael.

Toby TH: When Jan told me she was pregnant I worried about Michael's reaction, but she said she would use something called "The Big Lie." Basically she said if she tenaciously insisted on a ridiculous explanation for her pregnancy everyone would believe it because they wouldn't think anyone would make up such a story. I was skeptical, but no one ever guessed I was Astrid's father so I guess it worked.

Jan TH: Toby said that? Well I guess I understand the desperation of a confused divorced person hitting middle-age, but there's no truth to it. I mean me and Toby? Ridiculous.

Astrid fidgets and asks "Mom has this Mall been tested for Radon?"

Jan bites lip walks away with daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or