U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 06:53 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,031,099 times

Advertisements

Did anyone understand the little side remarks about the Scranton Strangler? That seemed like a pretty dramatic thing to say merely as an aside. Is that a hint about the a dramatic conclusion for the series--one of them turns out to be the Scranton Strangler?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
To be fair, during the 1st three seasons Michael didn't treat Ryan that well.
LOL, in fact he didn't treat ANYBODY well. The worst may have been trying to get Dwight to take the fall for him for the Willy Wonka idea, or buying what he thought was marijuana and planting it in Toby's desk. Actually, probably the only person he didn't **** over was Creed and that's because you don't mess with Creed and live to talk about it.

Although the song was sweet, you have to wonder why they'd feel those kinds of sentiments. The first time Michael quit, the attitude was "you don't have to kiss up to him anymore". Now they're singing love songs and begging him to stay in touch.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:09 PM

22,983 posts, read 31,911,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Oh that's true about how Michael treated Ryan. It's a good point. And I guess one could feel a temp job that he had seven years ago isn't that much to be grateful toward. Still I guess I just feel the things Michael did for him the last few years should count for more to him than they normally seem to or that if he'd rather be working in say a bowling alley (than being a temp for a guy who's acted borderline homoerotic to him) that's what he should do. He's kind of a weirdly written character for me.
I've never gotten how his character was written since season 3. Season 4 he is a villianous boss. Season 5 he starts as a guy trying to redeem himself after the fall, then he reappears as a lazy immature kid. Season 6 he gets hipster and artsy. This season he's been an art guy, wannabe business tycoon now just ????.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:36 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,218,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL, in fact he didn't treat ANYBODY well. The worst may have been trying to get Dwight to take the fall for him for the Willy Wonka idea, or buying what he thought was marijuana and planting it in Toby's desk. Actually, probably the only person he didn't **** over was Creed and that's because you don't mess with Creed and live to talk about it.
I think going by the writer's commentary they indicated Kevin liked him even in those seasons and that's defensible by how he acts to Michael. Still he wasn't ever precisely nice to Kevin when I think about it. Although in some ways I think he was maybe "meaner" to Kevin in the later seasons than the earlier ones. (Trying to set Kevin up with Erin then when it didn't work telling him "Get real, did you think you could get someone as hot as her" which almost amounts to admitting he was just toying with him and appeared to actually hurt Kevin's feelings a little. Some other stuff too)

Although I like the idea Creed's that tough I think he has been hard on Creed on occasion. He's talked about Creed smelling bad on occasion and did almost fire him in season 2. I think there is some truth to the idea though that Creed sort-of weirds them out and they're not sure how to respond to him. (I get the sense Devon was actually a better worker and more normal, but Creed's skill at diverting Michael into firing that guy instead is Creed)

Old 04-25-2011, 02:29 AM

42,186 posts, read 49,689,244 times
It's been hard for me to like Michael Scott at all ever since I heard that Steve Carrell is a d-bag to his fans.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:38 AM

If I was writing this episode, I would have had the characters joking around at the beginning about the Dundies and all their resentments against Michael. Maybe joking about the insulting awards they want to give him for a change. That would have been a good occasion for a lot of references to past episodes, etc.

Then, as they laugh about it, they talk about odd ways that some of those things ended up working out for the best. They could have come up with a few really funny things that could have happened to people as a consequence of one of Michael's stupid actions. Now that would be funny and a believable reason to have them feeling a little sentimental and to come up with the song (a way to sort of express how they've gotten past it).

Oscar saying "I forgive you for kissing me" was the one moment in the show that rang true to me--it would have been so much funnier if they had made the rest of the show little moments like that.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:24 PM

Well, tonight's the big one hour "goodbye" episode. I don't have high hopes but what the heck, I might as well watch. Who knows I could be happily surprised.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:18 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,890,506 times
loved the last line between Dwight and Jim!

Old 04-29-2011, 12:45 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,218,294 times
I thought it was fairly good. It was a bit less over-the-top as no one sung and they seemed to question some of the things he was doing. I imagined initially they'd give him a not entirely "happily ever after" ending, but they seemed to be wanting full on celebration happy. Still it's possible this ending does give that, for those who want it, without ruining the joy of him having a wife and family at least. Most likely it is the "happily ever after" with Holly in Boulder. However if you still don't like his character at all you could see it as giving a glimmer of "Michael will be a fish out of water in Boulder without a job and with only one real friend, Holly."

It was interesting seeing the "this is a documentary" element come back a bit more strongly than it has for awhile. ("You're shooting people in the bathroom now?" Although Jim should have known they've done that for at least five years now. Or Michael's "It's good to get rid of this", meaning the wire, and "Tell me if this is ever aired.") I think one of the sweetest moments for me was Dwight. Dwight is kind of a weird character, and they've made him a bit too psycho in the last two seasons, but this was more like season 2-5 Dwight. The guy who seems to want Michael's affection, but in return often just gets the rolodex description of "Tall, Beets" and little else. So it was sweet seeing them play paintball, say he's a good friend, and Michael asking about bears at the beginning.

Note: I mostly hope they don't make Phyllis Erin's birth mother. I mean I don't think they were hinting at that, but at the end of the ep it entered my mind as a soapy thing that could happen if they get desperate.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:48 AM

148 posts, read 246,794 times
I think the resolution between Dwight and Michael was the best part of the episode. Along with some classic Creed moments, "Not cool man."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or