U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 05:57 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,257,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Yesterday they talked about Creed Batton on our local news. I had no idea he was originally the bass player for The Grass Roots and composed many of their songs (this was a 60s "summer of love" band for those who have never of them).

Another member of the Grass Roots happened to die yesterday, that's how it came up. They showed photos, and it was a little mind bowing to see Creed as a skinny young dude in the 60s. Who woulda thunk?
In some deleted scenes on the Season 2 DVD Creed Bratton, the character, says he was a member of The Grass Roots. That due to drugs and such he ended up falling on hard times so took a job at a paper company. So, judging by what the people involved say on the commentary, he's kind of playing a creepy/alternate version of himself. (I actually don't find too much on what the real Creed Bratton did from the end of the band to The Office, but he had minor roles in some movies like the Cher film Mask and did some TV guest spots)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 06:20 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,074,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
In some deleted scenes on the Season 2 DVD Creed Bratton, the character, says he was a member of The Grass Roots. That due to drugs and such he ended up falling on hard times so took a job at a paper company. So, judging by what the people involved say on the commentary, he's kind of playing a creepy/alternate version of himself. (I actually don't find too much on what the real Creed Bratton did from the end of the band to The Office, but he had minor roles in some movies like the Cher film Mask and did some TV guest spots)
You know, I probably saw that reference but thought it was just a line in a script. I'll have to get the DVD and watch for it.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:25 AM

2,725 posts, read 4,910,236 times
Default The Office USA & BBC versions James Spader

I heard James Spader will be in this, because of him being in that I viewed the first 4-5 episodes of the first season.

Our version is about the same as the BBC, am I nuts this show does not seem funny to me, it seems too simple tho I heard it does get better.
I don't care for the narration by the bosses in either series.

Does this series go on like this? I'm thinking Spader is coming in to it so the ratings will go up, as it did with The Practice turning into Boston Legal.

Last edited by rural lady; 07-29-2011 at 04:43 AM.. Reason: moderators can delete duplicate topic I found it

Old 07-29-2011, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I have not read all posts.....but does anyone know when James Spader is coming in and what type character?? I saw nothing more than he was joining the show.

That guy is excellent at comedy and does snippy and serious equally well...anyone remember "Boston Legal"??

greatblueheron
I just love him, he helped bring The Practice back in its final season which turned into Boston Legal

Old 07-29-2011, 04:47 AM

I heard James Spader will be in this, because of him being in that I viewed the first 4-5 episodes of the first season.

Our version is about the same as the BBC, am I nuts this show does not seem that funny to me, it seems too simple tho I heard it does get better. (sorry to those who like it) Please tell me it gets better.

I don't care for the narration by the bosses in either series.

Does this series go on like this? I'm thinking Spader is coming in to it so the ratings will go up, as it did with The Practice turning into Boston Legal which was great.

Last edited by rural lady; 07-29-2011 at 04:48 AM.. Reason: add

Old 07-29-2011, 08:26 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,943,051 times
I would love to see a Creed:The Early Years episode.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:44 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,943,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
- The senator and Angela story just needs to end. It obvious what is going to happen, just get to it.

Although this is probably also obvious I'm guessing they wanted her to get engaged to him so she could have a fiance who is seeing another man just as she was the fiance seeing another man. I don't know if she'll apologize to Andy due to that or if it's too late to bring that back up. (Was Andy in the meeting they had about it? If so does he have any odd feelings about keeping a devastating secret about someone's fiance? As I recall he was not happy when that happened to him.)
Maybe The Senator is seeing Oscar!

Old 07-30-2011, 08:17 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,257,090 times
The first season tried to be like the British one and didn't work too well because of that. Our culture is quite different and the actors are different too. So this is kind of a show where I'd almost recommend starting with the second season's first episode, The Dundies I think it was called, instead of the pilot. (Although the first season isn't all bad. There are things in "Diversity Day" I like and that's the second episode. The pilot was mostly a miscalculation, which they've come pretty close to admitting)

In the second season you start getting a sense of this series as a separate entity rather than a show trying to find its feet as a British adaptation. Characters like Toby and Creed, who are pretty much new characters without analogues from the British, I believe start getting more air time and even a bit of "fleshing out." The third season has some similarities with the merger of Slough and Whoever, but I think the show mostly diverges even further. In Season 3 Toby actually develops something of a character arc, Phyllis's relationship goes to the next level (I'm not sure if the British one precisely had an equivalent to Phyllis), and Oscar is forced to reveal something personal to his co-workers. Then in season 4 the show starts getting somewhat zanier and most similarities with the British one could be said to have largely ended. In Season 5 you get some shake-ups and there are relationship dramas unique to this series. In Season 6 the series still has its moments but starts going off the rails a bit IMO. (Some would place that much earlier, but I think 6 is more widely agreed to) Then in Season 7 the office-workers either develop Stockholm Syndrome or Michael actually becomes a great guy, or my option "a little bit of both, but not entirely either", because they literally sing his praises at one point.

Granted there's a couple spoilers in all that, but I think I mostly kept it vague. I've also edited it to make it vaguer than I original had it. I didn't specify what's involved in "relationship drama" or "character arcs." The singing is a spoiler, but I don't think it's that important of one.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 07-30-2011 at 08:35 AM..

Old 07-30-2011, 09:47 AM

15,102 posts, read 19,745,581 times
I love both versions, but they are very different in tone.

The USA version has a bit more of a Mike Judge sensibility. It can still be biting, but the characters are still sympathetic, even at their worst moments.

The BBC version is much meaner in spirit. Still hilarious, but there's really no way to actually like most of the characters. You can pity David Brent, and you definitely laugh at him, but it's impossible to like him. He's the quintessential clueless narcisist. Gareth is just creepy.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:29 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 48,447,759 times
Default Something tells me that "THE OFFICE" will not do well this season

We already know Michael is gone and there will be a new guy in charge in the office this season. This season Pam and Jim is supposed to have a newborn which is a disaster for a workplace comedy because no one is interested in seeing their home life. I also read that we are supposed to see Andy's brother this season which is odd since he is not even one of the main characters.

That baby may sink this show
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or