Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 10:51 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,223,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
This is one strange season, adding Spader was such a waste of time and eyesight

I also never really got into the James Spader role. Some may not agree, but I don't think his character was ever a match for Steve Carrell.

Instead of trying to "replace" Carrell, they should try and build upon the characters they already have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 04:29 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Default What character on The Office is most like you?

On the surface, I'm a Pam, but on the inside I'm Stanley.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:45 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,068,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
I also never really got into the James Spader role. Some may not agree, but I don't think his character was ever a match for Steve Carrell.

Instead of trying to "replace" Carrell, they should try and build upon the characters they already have.
The biggest problem is Spader's character isn't believable. The Office was at its best when the characters were parodies, yet also very believable office workers. Think how funny the episodes with David Wallace were, for example.

I wonder if any of the current writers have ever spent time working in an office like that or are just making guesses as to what it must be like based on reading a few Dilbert cartoons?

Old 02-28-2012, 06:51 AM

Also, what was the point of making the big set for a plot about Andy having an affair with Spader's wife? Then the next show they changed gears and reported that the wife had left Spader and we don't hear about her again. Not that I wanted to see that stupid affair plot continued, but once they started it they needed to finish the story or else edit the set up for it out in the first place. That's sloppy writing.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,223,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
The biggest problem is Spader's character isn't believable. The Office was at its best when the characters were parodies, yet also very believable office workers. Think how funny the episodes with David Wallace were, for example.

I wonder if any of the current writers have ever spent time working in an office like that or are just making guesses as to what it must be like based on reading a few Dilbert cartoons?
You make a great point. It is actually the "parody" concept that made the Office popular. The David Wallace episodes were great. It was like bringing sanity & insanity together in one room. Remember the episode when Michael, Jim & Pam were interviewing at corporate? That was hilarious!

I truly think they are getting the rid of the Spader character because it was just not working.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:46 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,083,852 times
dwight

Old 02-28-2012, 11:59 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post

Why wasn't his character believable?

Old 02-28-2012, 01:07 PM

251 posts, read 571,866 times
My husband says I'm a cross between Jim and Angela.
Weird combo

Old 02-28-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Why wasn't his character believable?
I'm not sure how to explain it, but James Spader should have spent more time observing real CEOs to see how they act, what their body language is like, and especially how they interact with employees. Maybe it's his body language, but he comes across as a Hollywood Actor playing a role, not as a realistic CEO.

In addition, the writing hasn't helped. This guy was applying for Steve Carrell's relatively low paying job job, yet he has an outrageous mansion as well as a deluxe condo in Florida? Yah, right. He invites his employees over for a party in his mansion and then jumps into his pool naked. In front of his employees, male and female. Yah that's believable. In Hollywood, maybe.

His office is in Tallahassee, yet he always seems to be hanging around the Scranton office for no particular reason. It's not easy or quick to fly to either Tallahassee or Scranton, but he shows up all the time for no better reason than to play Machiavellan mind games with (let's be realistic) bottom rung employees. Yah right again.

He travels all the way to Scranton to visit the office and spends a whole afternoon having a philosophic discussion with Kevin about vending machine snack food. Yah right triple time. Particularly hard to believe since he's supposed to be a new CEO trying to keep a failing company afloat during a recession. A role that had a lot of possibility, sadly--I would have loved to see them really tackle it a little more in depth instead of this make believe version of what a CEO does. You can be outrageous and still have details that give a feeling of authenticity.

To be fair, once or twice he has had a reasonably realistic "boss" type conversation when he's tried to tell Andy to shape up. But.... those are few and far between and it would have been more believable to have those conversations by phone. Other than that, he doesn't perform the functions of a CEO, and he doesn't seem to be connected with how the office is run, he just shows up to play mind games from time to time.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:55 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,141 times
Stanley with Angela moments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV