Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 12:23 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,893,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I loved the office, but lost a lot of interest as the pam/jim relationship developed ...... IMO at that time it started to lose it's direction as it moved more towards broad reaching sitcom and away from it's quirky appeal ...... my wife and all the females I know loved it and I still found some funny moments

Then the program started eroding and eventually it lost out on the DVR conflicts ....I missed most of last season and honestly didn't know it was still on this year

Never understood the bandwagon accusations ....... as the office became more popular I didn't think it was due to a "bandwagon" - it was because the program started to appeal to more of an audience and did well enough that they were able to carry that audience a bit even as the program slided

I love modern family and have loved it from the start .... yes it's popular, but it reaches a broad range of people and I think the writing is fantastic ....... however, I wouldn't begrudge someone if they didn't like it ... different strokes for different folks and all - but if you don't like it keep that in mind when thinking of people that do like it

Take 2 1/2 men ... I think that program was horrible - however, it was undeniably popular ... I don't think it was a bandwagon, but an example of where my sense of humor diverged from a good portion of the TV audience .... it happens - I don't think the people watching were tuning in despite not liking the program

I couldn't get into Modern Family because the show seems centered around the gay couple and I stopped watching after 2 episodes.

I don't know how the Office can be considered a bandwagon show when it has never been in the top ten or 20
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 04:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,562,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post

I don't know how the Office can be considered a bandwagon show when it has never been in the top ten or 20
Top 10 or 20 of what? According to Wikipedia, "The Office has received critical acclaim and has been included on several top TV series lists, and has also won several awards including four Primetime Emmy Awards, one of which for Outstanding Comedy Series in 2006. The series initially debuted to low ratings, but during its second season it became the highest-rated scripted series on NBC ..."

Like every long-running series it's had its ups and downs but I'm still enjoying it, still laughing and still recording reruns on my DVR so I can have a daily laugh when one is needed! Apart from "All In The Family" (from "Till Death Us Do Part") I think it's just about the only British series successfully translated for the American market as most other attempts have been dire flops. I'll miss all the characters but they're all to be found elsewhere!

Old 11-21-2012, 07:17 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,030,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I think it's just about the only British series successfully translated for the American market as most other attempts have been dire flops. I'll miss all the characters but they're all to be found elsewhere!
"Sanford and Son" was an adaptation of the BBC hit show "Steptoe and Son."

Old 11-21-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
"Sanford and Son" was an adaptation of the BBC hit show "Steptoe and Son."
Right. I never did watch it.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:24 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,893,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Top 10 or 20 of what? According to Wikipedia, "The Office has received critical acclaim and has been included on several top TV series lists, and has also won several awards including four Primetime Emmy Awards, one of which for Outstanding Comedy Series in 2006. The series initially debuted to low ratings, but during its second season it became the highest-rated scripted series on NBC ..."

Like every long-running series it's had its ups and downs but I'm still enjoying it, still laughing and still recording reruns on my DVR so I can have a daily laugh when one is needed! Apart from "All In The Family" (from "Till Death Us Do Part") I think it's just about the only British series successfully translated for the American market as most other attempts have been dire flops. I'll miss all the characters but they're all to be found elsewhere!

Office is not a bandwagon show.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Office is not a bandwagon show.
If you re-read my post I asked one simple question and it had nothing to do with a "bandwagon show" since I have no idea what that term means.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:58 PM

89 posts, read 203,910 times
The Office both UK and US versions are great. If you like Ricky Gervais, check out The Ricky Gervais show which is so funny and also Idiot Abroad starring Karl Pilkington a friend of Gervais who is so funny.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:31 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,408,947 times
So what does everyone think of the latest episodes? Andy has returned and Erin broke up with him and Pam/Jim seem to be having some problems..

Old 02-08-2013, 03:17 PM

4,969 posts, read 6,247,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
So what does everyone think of the latest episodes? Andy has returned and Erin broke up with him and Pam/Jim seem to be having some problems..
It's down to the last, probably, 10 episodes of the series. They have to do something to get you all paranoid before everything gets resolved in the series finale. You know they won't ever break Jim and Pam up. There would be a HUGE outcry from fans of the show.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:40 AM

3,805 posts, read 9,301,304 times
This show's last few seasons are a testament to the greatness of Steve Carrell. Totally rudderless since he left. The Robert California experiment was like watching bad improv. Ed Helms is a nice guy, but Andy is absolutely a one-note character: goofy rejoinders, ambition, anger issues, repeat.

So many disjointed episodes in the past two years, as if the writers are playing Mad-Libs. I mean, whatever happened to the girl that was hitting on Jim in Florida? Why would Andy just get on the boat? Why was the English lady's story arc inverted? Whither Creed?

I'm interested to see BJ Novak's facial hair/hair color/glasses/Details Magazine Clothing choices upon his return.

I am in love with Ellie Kemper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV