Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 12:55 PM

22,237 posts, read 29,269,623 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else watch this episode???

Here's my take: I have NO SYMPATHY for any of those people on that show. No one FORCED them to stick a needle in their vein. They are all POS'S!!!!

Old 10-02-2008, 01:00 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,507,451 times
I had a sister who died from heroin, and I can guarantee you, she was not a "POS."

Old 10-02-2008, 06:37 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,692,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Did anyone else watch this episode???

Here's my take: I have NO SYMPATHY for any of those people on that show. No one FORCED them to stick a needle in their vein. They are all POS'S!!!!
Very naive of you. Addicition is not just about sticking a needle in your arm.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:44 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,875,707 times
I have never done drugs before but I do know that drug addiction is a very serious and scary problem for the individual. From what I heard the craving and side effects of drugs are awful.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,131 times
As a former addict and more recent scholar, I can say with an experienced and educated perspective that serious drug problems and addictions develop from biological, social, and psychological factors, all of which cannot be completely or at all controlled, usually before the brain is remotely close from being semi-developed or developed enough to make a logical/educated decision. Every case of drug abuse that turns into addiction is never the person's fault, I stress the word never! The only thing you can blame on the addict is not getting rehabilitation once they recognize the problem. This is by far the hardest process of cleansing an addict due to the fact that most of them stay in denial for long periods of time. I'm not trying to be dick, but get educated or ATLEAST use a little thought before you judge people and post ignorant statements. Don't feel bad though, your like most americans who subconsciously feel their morals, approach, and way of life is superiorly correct thus making them close minded and judgmental to scenarios outside of their domain.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:12 PM

542 posts, read 1,097,559 times
It's very easy to make this a black & white issue where sides are clearly chosen on whether addicts are bad people, or whether they are sick and therefore, not responsible for their actions.

I'm throwing my opinion in as someone who once cared deeply for an addict to give another perspective. I can honestly say that even though I know from schooling and life experiences, that addiction is a sickness, I straddle the fence between feeling as if addicts are the most selfish, manipulative and self centered people and feeling sorry that a substance controls them so much that it brings out these qualities.

I was used by a person that I cared about sooo much at one point that I lean towards having the smallest amount of sympathy towards addicts. I know the saying "you allow people to do what they want to you", but what if you've never been exposed to an addict, and so you have know idea that you're being lied to and used for their own purpsoses? What if they ask for your help and you do all that you can to help them, just to have them ********* over? I can honestly say that after being in a long term relationship w/an addict, I have lost the ability to truly trust anyone and the desire to love someone unconditionally (romantically). This can be either a good or bad thing. For me it's both. I will never ever allow myself to get hurt so badly again, but I'll never know what it's like again to truly love someone no holds bar b/c I won't allow myself to.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:36 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,783,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Very naive of you. Addicition is not just about sticking a needle in your arm.
BUT....they were not addicted before they first stuck the needle in their arm. Sorry, I have no sympathy for heroin addicts, unless someone tied them down and first stuck them with a needle.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:39 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,783,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pschmid123 View Post
Every case of drug abuse that turns into addiction is never the person's fault, I stress the word never!

Bulls--t!!! Like I said above, nobody forced them to do drugs, and they weren't addicted before doing it the first time. Nobody to blame but themselves. Blaming it on a lousy life is no escuse, I know plenty of people who cam from less-than-ideal backgrounds who didn't turn into thieving druggie trash.

Personally, I'm sick of druggies, They are responsible for a majority of our crime (well, along with politicians....), just about every time you hear of a robbery or shooting on the news, there's usually drug addicts involved.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:42 AM

345 posts, read 642,232 times
I think there was a joke that was part of Chris Rock's routine...where he was talking about how on talk shows, we always applaud and commend the guy the USED to beat his wife and kids, but is now a changed man, and he doesn't do that anymore. He then asks where all the commendation is for all the husbands and fathers who never beat their wife and kids to begin with.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:43 PM

515 posts, read 1,328,301 times
I don't feel a bit of sympathy for drug users. They made their bed, now they have to lie in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.