Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2013, 12:51 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,541,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Not to take this thread even farther off topic but I got into "The Wire" only when I started using the subtitles. Without the subtitles I didn't have a clue what was going on.
I could not/can not figure out how to turn on subtitles viewing HBO-Go either with my Roku or my computer.... I will try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 01:04 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,693,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I could not/can not figure out how to turn on subtitles viewing HBO-Go either with my Roku or my computer.... I will try again.
Check out the section "Incompatibility Issues" in this Wiki article.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_captioning

Old 10-12-2013, 01:06 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,693,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Not to take this thread even farther off topic but I got into "The Wire" only when I started using the subtitles. Without the subtitles I didn't have a clue what was going on.

OK, back to "Breaking Bad," which was my favorite show since "The Sopranos."
I often have to use the closed captioning option to understand what is happening on many shows, especially when the speaker has an accent.

Now that BB has concluded, FX does have several other popular shows running, like "Justified," "Sons of Anarchy," and "The Bridge." I'm less interested in SOA now, as my favorite character - Opie - was killed off, and Jax has become as evil as Clay, turning a friend over to be tortured and killed. (The fact that Tig wasn't killed doesn't change anything.) Once I rooted for Jax to succeed, but now I almost wish Clay would take over the gun-running (from Ireland) and live a full life.

One new show that I like is "The Americans," also on FX. The second season starts in January so, until then, I will be watching lots of BB episodes. BB drew me in like no other show has since "Roots."

‘The Americans’ Season 2 Premiere Date: Will Paige Discover Her Parents Are Soviet Spies In Upcoming Season? [SPOILERS] - International Digital Times

Old 10-12-2013, 02:44 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,196,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Interesting....I've had to use subtitles lately too. I don't think I'm losing my hearing; sometimes there is simply too much background sounds/music to hear the dialogue clearly. This is a problem for me with many shows. I got tired of hitting rewind all the time to try to figure out what I'd missed.
The background sounds interfering with dialogue is a real issue. I often have to rewind to figure out what characters have said, and sometimes have to turn on the captions. I know my hearing is fine. I was reading that this has become a common complaint recently. The people doing the editing will watch the scenes over and over, and become, or already are very familiar with the dialogue, and don't realize that words are being drowned out.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Background sounds and music make it difficult to hear what's being said. I've never understood why they edit shows like that.

It depends on the accent. I struggled slightly to understand some characters on The Wire at first but got the hang of it.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:04 PM

664 posts, read 1,027,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Background sounds and music make it difficult to hear what's being said. I've never understood why they edit shows like that.

It depends on the accent. I struggled slightly to understand some characters on The Wire at first but got the hang of it.
I am always using CC because of the different accents.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:49 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I'm actually glad this thread is still going, seeing as I just got to watch the final 2 episodes 2 nights ago.
Now that it's all wrapped up, I'm kinda disappointed, lol
That was the only show I've been hooked on.....since LOST.
Nothing else is worth watching
Don't you just get so involved while you're watching? I think when I was a teen and read Thomas Hardy and Lust for Life was the last time I felt so involved in a fictional world.

I had a while after it ended with BB withdrawels. You?

Old 10-13-2013, 05:53 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
This has been mentioned before, but if you are at a loss for something worth watching (post BB) and have access to HBO-Go, I recommend "The Wire". I am about start the last season (#5) tonight and have grown to love it. Many characters either breaking bad or breaking good to follow. The only problem I have with the show (and it is the same problem I have with the British shows with the heavy UK accents) is I have trouble following a lot of the dialog (ghetto speak in this case).
We watched an episode at the beginning and it seemed too dark. The characters had no socially redeeming qualities it seemed. Maybe the next season was better?

I read somewhere that British actors tend to not open their mouths when they speak, so it's the mumbling plus the accents that you are not familiar with and then their own undecipherable ghetto slang.

I know people who put closed captioning on when they watch British productions. I find that very sad because Brit actors tend to be very good. It's a pity. I didn't watch Copper because of that.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I know people who put closed captioning on when they watch British productions. I find that very sad because Brit actors tend to be very good. It's a pity. I didn't watch Copper because of that.
I had a British boss. I couldn't understand half of what he said. One day, he was giving me instructions and I asked him to spell a word while I was taking notes. He spelled it with an annoyed look on his face and an attitude like I was an idiot for not knowing how to spell a simple word. I said, "I don't speak British." He apologized for being a jerk.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:40 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,174,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Don't you just get so involved while you're watching? I think when I was a teen and read Thomas Hardy and Lust for Life was the last time I felt so involved in a fictional world.

I had a while after it ended with BB withdrawels. You?
Hell yes I got into it
I actually was thinking this last night...I'm going through BB withdrawals....
Idk what to do with myself now, lol This is how it was when LOST ended, too, but that show really disappointed me in the end.
Breaking Bad's last episode was flawless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV