Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which shows should go off the air soon? (can choose more than 1)
American Idol 85 51.52%
Amazing Race 49 29.70%
Dancing with the Stars 73 44.24%
Survivor 80 48.48%
The Simpsons 40 24.24%
Family Guy 53 32.12%
South Park 55 33.33%
Law and Order (and/or any spin off(s)) 28 16.97%
CSI (and/or any spin off(s)) 30 18.18%
Saturday Night Live 28 16.97%
Mad TV 46 27.88%
Two and a Half Men 45 27.27%
Smallville 44 26.67%
One Tree Hill 53 32.12%
24 24 14.55%
another show not listed 38 23.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:08 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,606,313 times

Advertisements

"Big Bang Theory" shouldn't be on the air. The funny thing is that show has great producers and writers yet it's just not funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 05:51 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,306,562 times
well, to the 27 people who voted for Mad TV on this poll, looks like you got your wish: just heard they Fox canceled the show after 14 years on the air.

I'll try to dig up a link later

ETA: to those really into South Park (I LOVE it BTW, though don't get to watch it much anymore w/o cable), there's a great book out there called "South Park and Philosophy" that tackles the philosophical issues shown on the show. I know that it's unlikely that the show writers are thinking, "hmm, how can we comment on existentialism while still making fart jokes?" but it is an interesting read, especially if you like reading about stuff like that

Old 11-12-2008, 05:59 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,579,528 times
2 and a half men

Its so nice to know that what passes for comedy today is this junk.

A guy who lives with his pre-teen son, teaches him nothing about the sanctity of marriage, or how to raise a family...nope just daddy bring home a new "Hoe" every week, exposing his own son to raunchy sexual innuendo and how to treat women like braindead playthings. Now I am no freaky religious type..but that is just deplorable.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:10 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,606,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
2 and a half men

Its so nice to know that what passes for comedy today is this junk.

A guy who lives with his pre-teen son, teaches him nothing about the sanctity of marriage, or how to raise a family...nope just daddy bring home a new "Hoe" every week, exposing his own son to raunchy sexual innuendo and how to treat women like braindead playthings. Now I am no freaky religious type..but that is just deplorable.
They slip so much past the censors, it's amazing. It will be a sad day when I have to look to sitcoms to preach morality. I don't use TV as my moral compass.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:16 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,083,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
"Big Bang Theory" shouldn't be on the air. The funny thing is that show has great producers and writers yet it's just not funny.
Accidentally hit rep button. True response. I love Big Bang Theory! It's a great show very well cast.

As much as I like "How I Met Your Mother", the title implies the actual meeting of the Mother and three seasons before meeting her is dragging it out a bit.

I am not surprised to see Law and Order on the list. I enjoy seeing the reruns more than the first run shows. I don't like the new cast at all. But CSI? I'm still loving CSI and CSI:Miami. Never got into the NY franchise.

VH1 has completely dried out the "find me love" shows. But look out everyone, Brett Michaels is back at bat for the third time!

Will somebody PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE cancel AMERICAN IDOL ALREADY!

Old 11-13-2008, 10:05 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,493,796 times
I can honestly say, that I wouldn't lose any sleep if ANY of these were cancelled.

Out of the list I've only watched American Idol. I like it but won't cry if it's cancelled.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:33 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,066,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
well, to the 27 people who voted for Mad TV on this poll, looks like you got your wish: just heard they Fox canceled the show after 14 years on the air.

ETA: to those really into South Park (I LOVE it BTW, though don't get to watch it much anymore w/o cable), there's a great book out there called "South Park and Philosophy" that tackles the philosophical issues shown on the show. I know that it's unlikely that the show writers are thinking, "hmm, how can we comment on existentialism while still making fart jokes?" but it is an interesting read, especially if you like reading about stuff like that
Thanks for the info! I'll be looking for that book. I'm one of those South Park junkies who defended the show...(but I agree they need to do away with the fart jokes, totally unnecessary...I think they do that to appeal to a wider audience)

Old 11-13-2008, 07:08 PM

8,779 posts, read 10,191,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post

I did not even notice MAD TV on the list. The few times I saw it, I could not find anything funny about it. I personally thought it was really lame.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:02 PM

37 posts, read 122,431 times
American Idol and Dancing with the Stars should go off.

+ The Simpsons should cut the crap after S20. I mean, love these guys in the Springfield world but if you compare S12 and S20 then...S20 is bulls**t, totally, nothing funny, no point.
Better kill off while it still has reputation

Old 11-20-2008, 11:12 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,444,799 times
Dancing with the Stars(Makes no sense)
Family Guy(Too dopey,bad impression on america)
CSI (All of a sudden everyone's an investigator)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV