Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:59 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,845,503 times

Advertisements

New Zoo Revue
Magic Garden
Romper Room
Sesame Street, pre-Elmo
Strawberry Shortcake, 1981 style
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 01:14 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
How about Ark 2? Anyone remember that show? Came on late Saturday moning and was about a group of scientists that were in suspended animation and woke up like ten thousand years in the future. They had the ultimate off road rig, jet packs and ALL kinds of cool stuff.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:52 AM

897 posts, read 1,591,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Does anyone else ou there miss the old Saturday morning kids show line up? Shows like Land of the Lost, Ark 2, Bugs Bunny and Road Runner, Sea lab 2020, Fat Albert, and the like? Kids shows these days just seem to lack in the imagination department. Any thoughts?
I disagree. The last Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon was very well written and very well animated. The style took some getting used to but it was a great adaptation of the comics and didn't change the origins of the characters too much.
The Legion of Superheroes was also very well done in their last season this year and it didn't talk down to kids.
Teen Titans was also very good and it snuck in some jokes on the anime style.
As a kid I liked good storylines that preferably got to have an ending (something rare in the American animated series since once they get cancelled they just stop making any episodes so you're left hanging) and, while the funny stuff like Bugs, Yogi, etc was great for a laugh, I also needed things like Ulysses 31, Robotech and Gargoyles. G.I. Joe and the Transformers were great but G.I. Joe's storyline never got anywhere and I always thought it was ridiculous that you had two armies in constant war but no deaths ever took place. The Transformers just plain got boring after the movie because with no Optimus Prime it just wasn't worth watching.
I guess my tastes differ from most who have posted so far since one of the original series I watched was Mazinger Z and it wasn't the butchered up version that got released in the U.S. That series had adult humor, battles where characters actually died and a great ending where even the hero is defeated.
But for those of you who miss Thundarr, Yogi, etc. there's always Boomerang.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:56 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,928,690 times
Default Saturday Memories

This is CBS.

Bugs Bunny, Fat Albert, the Pink Panther, the Jetsons. Great memories.

In addition, Saturdays on local stations in the early 70s meant "The Saturday Matinee", or "Action Theater", or even "Western Theater". You probably had that in your market.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:15 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,545 times
On Saturday afternoon in my area we had Creature Feature followed by Tarzan movies. If it was raining outside I loved nothing more than watching Saturday morning cartoons followed by Creature Feature, sometimes Godzilla movies and Tarzan flicks with my Grandfather. The only time we would switch channels was to watch Florida Championship Wrestling. I miss those days and my Grandfather most of all. He was truly the greatest.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:14 PM

10,050 posts, read 14,414,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Does anyone else ou there miss the old Saturday morning kids show line up? Shows like Land of the Lost, Ark 2, Bugs Bunny and Road Runner, Sea lab 2020, Fat Albert, and the like? Kids shows these days just seem to lack in the imagination department. Any thoughts?
When I was a kid, I lived for Saturday morning cartoons! I would watch "Pink Panther", "Mr Magoo," "Land of the Lost," "Tarzan," and in the 80s "Gummy Bears," and "The Littles." The Smurfs were also super fun to watch.

Bugs Bunny and Roadrunner were usually Sunday morning while getting ready for church--at least in my house and what my parents would let me watch. Tom and Jerry cartoons were in the afternoon after school!

As for today's cartoons, I have watched some with my daughter, and they aren't too bad, for the most part. There was one the other day that actually had very good writing! I was pleasantly surprised!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:55 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,292,638 times
Today's cartoons are pathetic. The ones of our time ~ all the Looney Tunes and the Flintstones, etc ~ would be considered "politically-incorrect" today because of all the ~ gasp! ~ violence! Funny, I was glued to those old cartoons, and I never tried to mimic what I watched!

I miss "Mighty Mouse" and "The Roadrunner". . . . Beep! Beep!

Old 01-04-2009, 11:26 PM

1,813 posts, read 2,845,503 times
I accidentally ran into Looney Tunes on TV the other day and they are STILL funny. The stuff that's out now isn't funny, and it's new.

Cartoons were violent then and we turned out okay. They're still on and no one cares or tries to censor them. It cracks me up how much other shows are censored, not doing anything close to blowing each other up in countless ways like these old cartoons!

Old 01-05-2009, 01:11 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
There are certainly marked generational gaps in a few posts lol. The ones I can't stomach that are out these days is stuff like Spongebob and such. Animation tech is certainly good on the new superhero shows, I guess I'm just lamenting lost youth I miss the REAL Bugs Bunny.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:06 PM

7,065 posts, read 3,104,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
On Saturday afternoon in my area we had Creature Feature followed by Tarzan movies. If it was raining outside I loved nothing more than watching Saturday morning cartoons followed by Creature Feature, sometimes Godzilla movies and Tarzan flicks with my Grandfather. The only time we would switch channels was to watch Florida Championship Wrestling. I miss those days and my Grandfather most of all. He was truly the greatest.
Where I lived Creature Feature was on real late at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV