Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2009, 08:36 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,334,811 times

Advertisements

I recognize mistakes Kate makes. It's not OK to belittle a spouse, especially over trivial things such as grammar and vocabulary. It does not accomplish anything aside from making yourself look bad.

I think of the time he complimented her by saying that she "wears clothes well". That is a term used all the time, I've heard it a lot. Apparently Kate hadn't. She criticized him for the phrase, rather than simply saying, "Thank you."

Of course there is always 2 sides...nobody is stupid enough to think there isn't. And nothing excuses infidelity. But infidelty (alleged) is usually not the only problem in a marriage that struggles.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:25 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,473,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunky View Post
I recognize mistakes Kate makes. It's not OK to belittle a spouse, especially over trivial things such as grammar and vocabulary. It does not accomplish anything aside from making yourself look bad.

I think of the time he complimented her by saying that she "wears clothes well". That is a term used all the time, I've heard it a lot. Apparently Kate hadn't. She criticized him for the phrase, rather than simply saying, "Thank you."

Of course there is always 2 sides...nobody is stupid enough to think there isn't. And nothing excuses infidelity. But infidelty (alleged) is usually not the only problem in a marriage that struggles.
At times it seems to me that Kate 'bit off her nose to spite her face'. Jon loved her and very possibly before they even had the twins he started to get tired of her critical nature.

If he cheated I couldn't/wouldn't blame him. No one can survive on endless criticism.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:17 AM

90 posts, read 177,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
At times it seems to me that Kate 'bit off her nose to spite her face'. Jon loved her and very possibly before they even had the twins he started to get tired of her critical nature.

If he cheated I couldn't/wouldn't blame him. No one can survive on endless criticism.
I totally agree. Too much criticism gets people to stray away from their spouse.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:51 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,207,376 times
My bet is that yes, Jon wants out because Kate's just getting more difficult and annoying by the day, but they're going to try to stay together and pretend like nothing is wrong for another season. They both know that they need each other to milk their cash cow. "Kate Plus 8, Jon on a Date" probably wouldn't do well in the ratings.

Orrr... my other thought was that they're creating all this drama to attract viewers, but I only give that bet 5%. The thought is that they know their lives are no longer that interesting, so people will stop watching. But now people will tune in just to see Kate blow up at Jon, and to see if the marriage really ends. Sort of like most non-reality drama shows on TV - eventually they have the characters do crazy, dramatic things that seem outside their normal character because they just can't think of anything else that will attract viewers. Toward the end of most series, the drama increases ten-fold, which usually just turns off viewers and ends the series.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:39 AM

I think there are some real problems and perhaps they will bumble along for another season or two.

The house is large enough that Jon can probably find a room for himself and Kate can enjoy the large master suite w/o Jon or the kids intruding.

In the past week I believe she has appeared on the Today Show and Larry King and maybe several other shows. 'You Go Girl'.

I've known enough Kates in my lifetime and don't really care if she becomes a 'Star' or if she has a happy marriage or family. It's very difficult for me to believe that people buy her books.

People will buy anything. I suppose there is nothing new about that.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:11 AM

23,852 posts, read 33,506,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
My take on the hair plugs and the weight/fitness campaign was that he would never have spent the time or money to take care of himself and Kate felt so much better after her tummy tuck/makeover that she wanted this for Jon, too.
Not directed at you...

Jon has commented on his own looks for a long time.
He saw himself on the tapes the kids watch and thought he was out of shape.
That's when he was so obsessed with working out and watching what he ate. IIRC he used to get up early to work out before going to work.

Jon IMO likes the attention whether he admits it or not.
IMO, he wouldn't have gotten the hair plugs if he wasn't so vain about his looks.
Sorry, I don't buy that Kate talked him into it.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,146,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Not directed at you...

Jon has commented on his own looks for a long time.
He saw himself on the tapes the kids watch and thought he was out of shape.
That's when he was so obsessed with working out and watching what he ate. IIRC he used to get up early to work out before going to work.

IMO, he wouldn't have gotten the hair plugs if he wasn't so vain about his looks.
Hopefully he wanted them too, and didn't go along with it just because Kate wanted it. But, if you watch that episode, Kate comes out and says she arranged the whole thing. I got the impression that someone called and offered free hair plugs, and Kate jumped all over it.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:05 PM

23,852 posts, read 33,506,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Hopefully he wanted them too, and didn't go along with it just because Kate wanted it. But, if you watch that episode, Kate comes out and says she arranged the whole thing. I got the impression that someone called and offered free hair plugs, and Kate jumped all over it.
Wasn't Jon working back then?
If so, that's why Kate arranged it because Jon wasn't managing the family yet.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,146,706 times
Quote:
Wasn't Jon working back then?
If so, that's why Kate arranged it because Jon wasn't managing the family yet.
Yes, it could just be that she organized everything, being the stay at home spouse. Or it could be that she wanted it more than he did. We'll never really know.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I think there is a 'rather immature' streak in both of them which is also a bond and it includes vanity and control and love of the spotlight. I don't analyze people well but what we are seeing may be '2 sides of the same coin'. Kate barks and Jon rolls over or something along those lines.

I also believe they are rather arrogant, 'We are who we are and we can do what we please'.

Good luck during the fast approaching teen years is all I have to say.

The real bottom line for me is in their position economics would have clearly dictated to me that I should have only two children and 'One More' would not have been an option. It irks me to know end when people do what they want and then but a religious twist on their choices and insist that God is providing for them.
That's about all I have to say about them. They are pretty typical of many people of their generation with sarcastic humor and the desire to live a particular lifestyle.
Certainly their style of being a couple is nothing new--there have been fishwives, shrews and nags for centuries and men have turned to other pursuits to escape the micromanaging.

Truly it is just about as low as you can go to air your dirty laundry in public and make a real mockery of what you claim to hold sacred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.