Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 12:08 AM

689 posts, read 2,049,312 times

Advertisements

I'm 63. I've been around since TV news was read by men sitting at a plain desk with a plain background. There was no analysis, no speculation, no "what did they know and when did they know it?" I certainly don't want to return to those dull broadcasts but I don't like the way "the news" has evolved. Today it's men and women on "talk shows" that become, more often than not, shouting matches.

We don't have much direct contact with young people but it seems to me that folks today need much more stimulation to keep them entertained. I'd like to hear what you younger people - 20 to 50 - think of those shows on the cable news networks like FOX. Do you enjoy hearing people talk over each other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 01:37 AM

370 posts, read 1,012,437 times
Yeah, I do, in fact.

I'm 22, and I love it when people do that in the news or on the radio. It's good entertainment, plain and simple.

HOWEVER, I hate the news today because no matter what channel you turn to (Fox, CNN, MSNBC) it's always the same 4 stories. Always about the same couple of murders or abductions, or about Obama using a Zune. That's newsworthy?! There's an entire world out there aside from the states, and THATS the news? Fox (I believe) had a segment called "world news in 60 seconds" I think, where they just went through the news excluding America in 60 seconds. Sixty seconds. That's the rest of the world. **** FOX.

But yeah, I love the yelling matches for short bursts, it's entertaining. But I hate the lack of diversity in the news. CNN does cool documentaries sometimes. FOX on the other hand does not

Old 12-07-2008, 10:42 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,491,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturdayskids View Post
Yeah, I do, in fact.

I'm 22, and I love it when people do that in the news or on the radio. It's good entertainment, plain and simple.
As far as I am concerned, these are not news shows. Their main objective is entertainment not presenting the news and allowing you to make your own judgements. One of the problems today is that too many peope listen to jackholes like Nancy Grace, Bill O'Reilly and the rest and mistake it as a new program.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:52 AM

22,827 posts, read 28,049,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
As far as I am concerned, these are not news shows. Their main objective is entertainment not presenting the news and allowing you to make your own judgements. One of the problems today is that too many peope listen to jackholes like Nancy Grace, Bill O'Reilly and the rest and mistake it as a new program.
Agreed. O'Reilly, Hannity, Rachel Maddow, etc.... they are commentators, not journalists. I'm not sure what Nancy Grace is. Some weird combination of Jerry Springer and Torquemada maybe.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:35 PM

370 posts, read 1,012,437 times
Never did I once think it was a news program, I just said it was good "entertainment"

Old 12-07-2008, 05:06 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,379,066 times
Part of the problem is the person reading the news has become a celebrity in both fame and attitude. We've become a culture of fame and we seem to hang on every word and action of celebrities, good and bad. In some countries, these people are called "news readers" because that is exactly what they are. Their sense of selfworth and arrogance has gone through the roof since Watergate. It seems some reporters believe they are above politicians in the way they demand answers or go out of their way to demean the politician they don't agree with. They now use their position on television as a weapon against those they don't agree with. Remember "Joe the Plumber"? Instead of responding to what Senator Obama said to Joe, the press went all out investigating him and reporting all their findings on the air. When Sarah Palin was introduced at the Republican convention, an army of reporters and lawyers were sent to Alaska to dig up any and all dirt they could possibly find. No problem with that except that they didn't do the same thing to the Democratic party candidates.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:11 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,111,916 times
I don't enjoy the news anymore because I don't like the over talking of each other all the time either. It is great to have different opinions but not on the same couch saying it at the same time others are trying to speak theirs.

Then the running "headlines" across the bottom of the screens are distracting to me even.

During any event it seems, like others have said, every station in town are running and saying the same topics. I could give a rip who is hot in Hollywood look how Anna Nicole Smith was non stop TV "news" for weeks. That wasn't news that was unnecessary coverage.

sailordave maybe no digging was done on Joe Biden since he has been a long time politician. If there were dirt on him wouldn't it already have come out before he was chosen for VP possibly?

TV as a whole is going to the dogs even networks are now turning to all these reality type shows because they are cheaper than buying sitcoms.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:27 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,977,862 times
I hate the direction the news is taking. I agree that people getting into shouting matches over is ridiculous and needs to stop. The worst, for me, is these newsreaders who turn news stories into sensationalic soap operas. I had to stopping watching Headline News because of one anchor, Mike Galanos, who would report a news story, and then spend 5 minutes stating his opinion. Rick Sanchez, on CNN, is also a newsreader/unwanted opinion sharer that I can't stand.

We also need to stop these shows with Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Nancy Grace, Rachael Maddow, Keith Olberman, Campbell Brown, Lou Dobbs, etc. They are taking up valuable primetime television time with their diatribes, sarcasm, and assorted tomfoolery. I do not know what universities these circus clowns graduated from where they were taught that their opinions were valuable for news stories. The networks will not stop this mess because each of these shows has a target audience. O'Reilly and Hannity are the voice of conservatives, thus drawing a huge conservative viewing. Nancy Grace is the voice of people who live off of other people's drama. Rachael Maddow and Keith Olberman are the voice of the super liberals. Campbell Brown doesn't really have a target audience, but still manages to bring in a large audience by doing a lot of shouting and unnecessary opinion sharing, claiming to call people out on their "bull." Lastly, Lou Dobbs is the voice of paranoid people who think they are under a constant threat of an invasions by "illegals."

For unbiased news stories, there a few opinons on the major networks. I have heard that some people have even resorted to watching BBC to escape all of the bias on American channels. I think all of the people I have listed above should be fired, and replaced by people who feel they can report the news with exploding into uncontrollable outbursts.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:15 AM

161 posts, read 369,744 times
notice how quick this thread went to politics ?

Old 12-08-2008, 11:57 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,588,969 times
The "news" channels have devolved into a clown variety show; who can trump who, who can "outwit" who (none of them in the least are funny). The narcissism is unequaled, it is all about them, not the news of the day. Highly disgusting. The "analysts" allegedly out their to do their own thing, yet also influence millions, usually in a deleterious manner.

So today those with any amount of discretion have to hunt and peck for good news analysis. I personally have found my own sources, but do not sit in front of a noisy box for hours like a dead sponge to receive it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV