Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 09:08 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Also, another scary thing is when the "bride-to-be" said something to the effect that getting married was sort of a "transfer of authority" from her father to her husband. Holy crap. I'm not a fan of radical feminism, but that sort of thinking is way back in the stone ages. Did he have to beat her on the head with his club and drag her back to his cave????
Actually, I think that's a reference to the headship of the man in a marriage, which I strongly support. While the family head is the father, when a woman gets married, her head is now her husband. That is not permission for a husband to be cruel or domineering; it is an arrangement that works beautifully if applied by both parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 09:09 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
Actually, I think that's a reference to the headship of the man in a marriage, which I strongly support. While the family head is the father, when a woman gets married, her head is now her husband. That does not a permission for a husband to be cruel or domineering; it is an arrangement that works beautifully if applied by both parties.
I don't know, maybe I'm not old fashioned enough in that regard, but I see marriage as an equal partnership....

Old 01-27-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I don't know, maybe I'm not old fashioned enough in that regard, but I see marriage as an equal partnership....
I believe it is a partnership, truly, but equal only to an extent. I believe all humans are of equal importantance in the eyes of God, yes. But I also believe that the marital arrangment was created by God and therefore is the best way. The biblical arrangement of marriage says that the head of the wife is the husband, the head of the man is Christ, the head of Christ is God. I don't feel that is demeaning or anything; I think it just makes good sense. Anyway, it works beautifully for us.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:25 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Hot dog. Hallway. Clown car. Just sayin'.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:26 AM

470 posts, read 1,841,680 times
Quote:
Like an above poster said, my Irish Catholic family and the rest of the guests would have had a stroke if there were no adult beverages or dancing at the reception. What do they do, sit around and read bible verses?

Strange stuff. I don't know why some ultra-conservative fundamentalists have a bug up their butt about dancing and drinking... They do know Jesus turned water into wine, right?

yeah, i'm catholic, too and religion aside, when we were planning the wedding (which we did from overseas) my then future MiL was enlisted to help and when we brought up music she said that "it was frowned upon" WHAT?!? the reception was held at the fellowship hall of her church (is there something about the baptist faith i should be clued in on?). drinking, i can understand, but music for goodness sake. it's a happy occasion and if i want music, i think i should have it. now at the time, i didn't want to be "bridezilla" but looking back, i should've been.

sorry, C-Ders, i know we went a bit off topic. . .

Old 01-27-2009, 09:37 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechappells View Post
the reception was held at the fellowship hall of her church (is there something about the baptist faith i should be clued in on?). :
I think many of them think that anything with a beat is from the devil, especially rock music, and think that any exposure to it will lead to wild promiscuous sex and devil worship. Some of them are even against Christian rock (which is the category I assume the Duggars fall into).

Old 01-27-2009, 09:53 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,351,545 times
Fundamentalists are not the only people who don't have dances at their receptions. Not everyone who gets married wants a dance. I'm sure Jim Bob has some Biblical reason for there being no dance, though. Like in Exodous when Moses sees people worshiping the calf idol and they are dancing. Oh, that can't be good ya know.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:16 AM

444 posts, read 1,049,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
That is so so funny! I laughed out loud.

I didn't even know there was such a thing! LOL!

Old 01-27-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Fundamentalists are not the only people who don't have dances at their receptions. Not everyone who gets married wants a dance. I'm sure Jim Bob has some Biblical reason for there being no dance, though. Like in Exodous when Moses sees people worshiping the calf idol and they are dancing. Oh, that can't be good ya know.
Well, surely he can't be so obtuse as to not recognize that dancing was in relation to false worship and resulted in a blatant orgy in the name of that worship. I mean, David danced nearly naked in the streets from sheer joy (embarassed the heck outta his wife), Miriam danced for joy and sang praises to God...there is lots of joyful dancing in the bible. Remember the passages Kevin Bacon quoted in 'Footloose'? haha. It doesnt have to be sexual in nature. I absolutely LOVE to jive!

However, if you avoid modern dances because of possible sexual arousal, that is perfectly fine. I just think it's funny that in one episode, when the family was at a toy store: One of the Duggar toddlers turned on a guitar toy that played music and started dancing like crazy! Jim Bob's reaction? " I think it's natural for a kid, especially a small one, to dance when they hear music. It's the way they find an outlet for their energy. You can't stop it, unfortunately'." If it's 'natural', then why pray-tell, is all dancing wrong? Just askin'...

Old 01-27-2009, 10:22 AM

444 posts, read 1,049,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
No alcohol either! These people would be horrified by the weddings my big Polish/Irish family has!

If you can't have alcohol or dance why have a reception? Dancing is a huge part of a reception especially when it come to the first dance and the father daughter/mother son dance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV