Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 03:20 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Remember, they are debt free, don't buy anything unless they have the cash for it. It's about family - not about having the kids in 127 different activities because that's the "it" thing to do, sitting around on the computer, watching TV all the time. So what if Josh drives a SAAB? Obviously they had the money to buy it. Having stuff doesn't mean it isn't a simpler life. The simple life isn't necessarily about living the life of Laura Ingalls. It's about how you live.
My point was that they are not 'going without' by avoiding television or the internet. That is simply their means of avoiding the 'bad influences' of the outside world. They fill the time that others would use watching Tv or surfing the internet with other expensive hobbies like huge gamerooms, gocarts, skydiving (gasp), and mastering a musical instrument. Their life is no more simple than anyone else I know that has money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 07:39 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
To me it is a simpler life. They are enjoying their family and not worrying about the Joneses and trying to keep up with them and what they have. The enjoy being together as a family - so what if they have a game room, go sky diving or play musical instruments? It's not about bad influences. It's about placing the emphasis on family instead of trying to be the best or have the best. JMO. I don't care if people don't agree with me, but to me that's a simpler way of life, a stress-free way of life.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:19 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,120,651 times
Honestly, this is not the lifestyle for me, but it seems to work perfectly for them. Typically, I would worry about two people getting married when they have always dated with a chaperone and didn't get the chance to really know each other before the wedding, but I think they are both identical in their beliefs and will probably have a lovely marriage. The parents seem to be very happy with their chosen path and that is what is important.

I did laugh at the grape juice comment though!

Old 01-28-2009, 06:50 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,414,473 times
Default hypocritical???

Good morning everyone! I don't wish to come off negative but I do have a question. Ok, this family ascribes to fundamentalist Christian beliefs. The Bible is read daily, obviously no birth control, no drinking, no dancing, no kissing before marriage, women can show NO skin even when swimming, ect. Yet, it is ok to promote yourself on national tv and parade your underage children around for millions to see? All for a substantial payout? How is this a Christian thing to do? To accept large amounts of cash to self-promote? This seems like another hypocritical moment by another "Christian" family. Aren't Jon & Kate supposed to be Christian too. Isn't this an example of green and pride? Pride cometh before the fall, right? Idk, if they were not fundamentalists I would think nothing of this but how do they reconcile this self-promoting, greedy lifestyle with beliefs so strict that a woman cannot expose a knee? Take care everybody and have a great day, lil red

Old 01-28-2009, 07:13 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,414,473 times
Anybody else agree?

Old 01-28-2009, 07:34 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,816,671 times
I agree. But its not uncommon for these holier-than-thou types to be hypocrites.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:39 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Come on, folks. If someone offered to pay you enough money to be on television so that your kid's education would no longer be something you needed to worry about, wouldn't you be able to justify it too? I think in the case of the Duggers, the Roloffs, and the Gosselins, they all feel as if seeing the way they cope with their individual struggles is something that will help others in their situation.
I admire some things, and have learned some things, about all three families. Do they all have things about them that annoy me? Yup.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Good morning everyone! I don't wish to come off negative but I do have a question. Ok, this family ascribes to fundamentalist Christian beliefs. The Bible is read daily, obviously no birth control, no drinking, no dancing, no kissing before marriage, women can show NO skin even when swimming, ect. Yet, it is ok to promote yourself on national tv and parade your underage children around for millions to see? All for a substantial payout? How is this a Christian thing to do? To accept large amounts of cash to self-promote? This seems like another hypocritical moment by another "Christian" family. Aren't Jon & Kate supposed to be Christian too. Isn't this an example of green and pride? Pride cometh before the fall, right? Idk, if they were not fundamentalists I would think nothing of this but how do they reconcile this self-promoting, greedy lifestyle with beliefs so strict that a woman cannot expose a knee? Take care everybody and have a great day, lil red
The truth is, there are lots of flaws in their reasoning, if they truly want to use the bible to support their extreme efforts to be 'modest'. But, you know, if it makes them happy-if it keeps them closer to God-more power to them.

I'm all about modesty. I love fifties style dresses and swimwear because they are modest and feminine at the same time. Yet, they would find me immodest in my Esther Williams swimsuit, I'm sure. So it's all relative isnt it?

Old 01-28-2009, 07:41 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,816,671 times
The Duggars' arrogance about being "debt-free" really annoys me too. Well I'd be debt-free too if I had my own prime-time TV show, and was able to call my house a church and live tax-free!

Old 01-28-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
To me it is a simpler life. They are enjoying their family and not worrying about the Joneses and trying to keep up with them and what they have. The enjoy being together as a family - so what if they have a game room, go sky diving or play musical instruments? It's not about bad influences. It's about placing the emphasis on family instead of trying to be the best or have the best. JMO. I don't care if people don't agree with me, but to me that's a simpler way of life, a stress-free way of life.
Im still a little confused. Other than their clothing choices, what about their lives is simple? Having so many children that the older children must grow up well before their time in order to provide in house babysitting is hardly simple. How is this stress free? The only thing that sets them apart from the average family is their size, their styling, and the fact that they don't watch tv or listen to secular music. And I know lots of people who don't do the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV