Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 09:52 PM

862 posts, read 1,643,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I love that argument from fundamentalists...because it shows their idiocy. There is no way that it was grape juice in biblical days, since unfermented grape juice did not exist in that time. Grape juice ferments into alcohol immediately, and the process to make unfermented grape juice wasn't invented until about the 19th century, by a man named Welch (yes, the namesake of Welch's grape juice). So anytime a fundamentalist uses the "it was actually grape juice" line, they're full of crap.
Legitimate question here, I'm not being sarcastic. Mr. Welch was he first person to cook grapes in a pan, run them through a colander, and then drink or can it? Cuz that's all there is to making grape juice. Oh you can add sugar too if you want. I prefer it unsweetened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krislati View Post
It seems that the Duggars home school their children, so they don't go to private schools or public schools (probally don't have to pay school taxes). It seems the girls will not be going to college since they are being trained to be moms. Josh graduated at 16, no college in his future and Jim-Bob either. So, to me they live tax free claiming they live in a church, they are exposing their children on national tv, and raking in the bucks. To me they are defiantely hypocrites. There is no way money is not important to them, or else they would not have their show and just live their life as a big christian family out of the public spotlight. Live off their rental property. But isn't always about the al-mighty dollar in the end...no matter who you are...Duggars or Not.
Probably don't have to pay school taxes? How unfair, I don't have kids and I have to pay school taxes.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You know something? I just finished watching the episode where Jim Bob and Michelle go to San Francisco. Jim Bob is starting to grow on me a little. He really does treat Michelle with a lot of consideration.
At first I truly thought that he was just hiding being an authoritarian bully, but I've watched enough of the episodes now that I'm starting to think I MIGHT be wrong. Maybe.
Aside from the fact that the girls have long hair because "my Dad likes long hair", which I still find very creepy, he might not be such a bad guy.
It came out in this episode that he uses huge clouds of AquaNet on his own hair, which is a setback in JimBob's and my relationship. Someone should tell him that women don't even use that stuff anymore.
AquaNet was probably on sale 3 cans for a dollar at Aldi's.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:34 AM

470 posts, read 1,841,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Wow, that's harsh. Was your husband in a bad mood? LOL!
yeah, i thought that, too. but he isn't one to mince words.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:57 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
I think the Duggars are different and because of that we all look at them and pick them apart. I too find it hard to believe they have that many children and can give each one attention they need. I did watch the show last night where their son Joshua gets married. The older girls and Josh went to Florida for 10 days and they said that they had a hard time without them. But I'm sure if you asked anyone in there 70-80 or higher they will tell you that back then they lived a life a lot like the Duggars Family was the most important part of their lives and helping in the home. Many were taught at home. They have these children but they seem to haVE the income to pay for them. I saw them both on The View last week and they say they are dept free. I respect them for what they believe and what they believe about marriage and family isn't something that is odd to most of us. Most of us don't have the committment to follow it like they do. How many women were told by their Mother to not have sex before marriage. After watching the show last night where Josh and Ana got ready for their wedding it did seem odd. They never kissed before they got married , they did hold hands and at times looked like they were going to attack each others hands. Children are a blessing from the Lord and they choose to let that be in the Lords hands and not in theirs. They have 18 healthy children so I can't knock them for letting the Lord give them as many children as he see fit. I think in a age were children are busy and watch TV and play video games and are on the computer we find this family different. I think they are who they are and they really aren't doing anything wrong
Your comment is interesting. I would like to correct a few things. Most people that are 70 and 80 years old would have gone to public school. There grandparents probably would have been home schooled. So a person that is a 129 years old probably would have been home schooled. Most people that were born in the 1920's or 1930 may not have a finished High school. The duggar family can not be compared to the old days. I say this because about 100 to 150 years ago most families were large for a few reasons. One reason was to help the family on the farm and the other reason was children had a high mortality rate. So it was common for a family to have 6 children or more and one or two of them to die before 20 years old.
The duggar had a child that recently got married. His courtship to his wife was a little different than the average American. He never even kissed the girl. Well that to me is irrelevant because statistics usually never lie. If he and his wife are under the age of 23 years old they have about 75% chance of divorce. So the parent can give the kids the old sex before marriage speech but that will not better prepare them for the road ahead.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:25 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
Probably don't have to pay school taxes? How unfair, I don't have kids and I have to pay school taxes.

Yes the Duggars have to pay school tax. Arkansas doesn't care if you have kids or kids in school or not, they still require everyone to pay the tax.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
The Duggars' arrogance about being "debt-free" really annoys me too. Well I'd be debt-free too if I had my own prime-time TV show, and was able to call my house a church and live tax-free!
The Duggar family is a part of my extended family (they are my husbands cousins). What you are saying about them living tax free is incorrect and they do not claim their home as a church on their taxes. Jim Bob and Michelle own numerous residential and commercial rental properties along with a real estate company that is how they earn a living.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krislati View Post
The point is they do care about "stuff" or else he would not have purchased a new expensive car. They are materiallistic, they have tons of "stuff", they have big suvs, the custom bus, all the perks. So they don't need to get involved in sports and activites. Just because your child is involved in the community and playing sports does not mean it's not quality family time. We choose to spend it differently, let our children make friends outside the home, socialize with the outside world. It is there life, however they live it their choice, but they obviously care about nice "stuff".

Not sure where you are getting your info but it is very incorrect. The Duggars are a part of my extended family so when someone makes comments about them that are not based on fact I always feel the need to comment. The family does not own any new cars they are all very much used. You may often see them driving different cars, they are driving them for Josh's car dealership (to make sure they are in good condition before they purchase them for resale). The family does by used, and when they do buy it is always paid in full up front or they do not buy.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:16 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
Not sure where you are getting your info but it is very incorrect. The Duggars are a part of my extended family so when someone makes comments about them that are not based on fact I always feel the need to comment. The family does not own any new cars they are all very much used. You may often see them driving different cars, they are driving them for Josh's car dealership (to make sure they are in good condition before they purchase them for resale). The family does by used, and when they do buy it is always paid in full up front or they do not buy.
It is so very annoying that you feel the need to come here and prove every comment about your extended family is incorrect. Your husbands cousins chose to put themselves on national television, which basically means they are choosing for people to form opinions about them based on the info they see on the show. Obviously, they are not that concerned because they already know the information that you just told us and are comfortable with the truth.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:27 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
I do not think they are supporting the family with real estate or car dealerships alone like they said. They are getting money from TLC, doing interviews,etc. What's the big deal? They are prancing their children around like circus freaks to make a buck. I watched the show last night they had the kids in a wal-mart playing the violin then they rounded up the kids had them sit down and sign the books that the parents wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV