Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:15 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times

Advertisements

Let me pitch an idea of a kids show that meets my approval instead of what I don't like. I really have liked the animated kids show "Recess." I believe it is an ABC/Disney production. Kids in a very real life situation, dealing with real issues kids face: race, school, peer pressure, cliques, etc in a humorous and life like way. I like that there are real consequences to behavior and nobody is using a magic wand or psychic abilities to get out of their problems.

Shows like this are entertaining and at the same time grounded in real life solutions. I also like the Zack and Cody show as it is harmless fun, Hannah Montanna is ok. Shows can be fun and have a decent message without having to be "Christian" but without having to rely on supernatural tricks. I am not on a cusade against such, I grew up watching "Bewitched" and I don't have horns.

On second thought, maybe this IS why my life has turned out like it has........ Dang!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 10:42 AM

1,113 posts, read 3,494,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
nothing. it was just that some crazy right wingers thought it looked "too Arab" and that she looked like she was a murderous terrorist. And Dunkin' Donuts didn't have enough cojones to leave the ad up.

Dunkin Donuts Pulls Ad Featuring Rachael Ray In A Scarf That Looks Too Arab

OMG, give me a break!!!:rolleyes

Just saw the photo...it's not like she was dressed in full-Iranian-woman garb!! ( a burka, I think it's called)

As for TV shows, I vote for The Wiggles...my kids don't really watch it that much, thank goodness, but the songs on it must have been written by a 5-year old-they're inane as hell. Example: "FRUIT SALAD...YUMMY YUMMY" said over and over and over. Not to mention the puppets look like something a home-ec student sewed together.
I also think the songs on 'Barney' that were obviously written by the show's creators (or whoever does that sort of thing) are incredibly stupid and repetitive.

BTW, my friend told me she thinks that the one character on 'Yo Gabba Gabba' looks like a giant d**do!!! ITA!!

Last edited by jersgrl1969; 01-04-2009 at 10:50 AM..

Old 01-04-2009, 11:11 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
This is in the past, and you'll all probably laugh over this one.

When my daughter was little I would not allow her to watch "The Simpsons" because I absolutely hated the disrespectful ways that the characters spoke to their parents. My kid was tough enough to raise without her getting extra boosts from a cartoon like that. When I shared this very same statement with one of her teachers she actually thanked me!

I still don't like the show, either.
My son is 16, but I never EVER allowed that show to be on. Teaches nothing but disprect. For the life of me I have never understood the attraction of that show. Hated it then, hate it now.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:39 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My son is 16, but I never EVER allowed that show to be on. Teaches nothing but disprect. For the life of me I have never understood the attraction of that show. Hated it then, hate it now.
I guess that's the biggest difference with me. I never allow tv shows to teach my kids anything - that's up to me. Thus, they know that no matter how disrespectful some cartoon or tv show is, they aren't allowed to bring that crap home. None of them have ever tried it either. TV is only for entertainment in our house.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:00 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
nope. I know I raised them well enough for them not to emulate any bad behavior and if they were to try, they'd soon be wishing they hadn't; we don't put up w/ bad behavior.
Quote:
I guess that's the biggest difference with me. I never allow tv shows to teach my kids anything - that's up to me. Thus, they know that no matter how disrespectful some cartoon or tv show is, they aren't allowed to bring that crap home. None of them have ever tried it either. TV is only for entertainment in our house.
I agree with you. My mom pretty much let us watch whatever we wanted to (well I wasn't allowed to watch Beavis & Butthead but it came on past my bedtime anyway) but we knew the difference between television and real life. I didn't live with those tv parents so I better not try to get away with the same things the tv kids did that being said I don't let me 3 y.o watch Spongebob. He's in a stage where he repeats everything and he was watching one episode where another fish decided he was "going to kick Spongebob's butt" after that my son paraded around telling everyone "Hi, I'm going to kick your butt." LOL I tried to explain to him that he doesn't repeat what he hears on tv but until i'm sure that he understands he mostly watches PBS, Playhouse Disney and Noggin and some sports channel that shows high school games 24/7. I have no idea why but he'll sit down watching that channel for hours quietly.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:03 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
He's in a stage where he repeats everything and he was watching one episode where another fish decided he was "going to kick Spongebob's butt" after that my son paraded around telling everyone "Hi, I'm going to kick your butt." LOL
LOL, what did his grandparents say to that?

Old 01-04-2009, 12:09 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Yea, no kidding ... I think some parents get all wadded up over tv shows because the lines between entertainment and lessons are blurred.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:11 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Doodlebops. Annoying, completely stupid and the music isn't even bearable to listen to.

Imagination Movers on the other hand is good stuff.
I agree 100%. I cannot stand the Doodlebops, and I don't even have kids. My siblings, however, do, and when I am at their house or they are at mine and want to watch television, I cringe and grab the remote when I hear that the Doodlebops are up next, hoping that the children have not been paying as much attention to the upcoming show.

The Simpsons is a fine show, but it was never intended for children. The previous post referring to their church attendance is correct. They do attend church; and above all else, The Simpsons are a loving, if imperfect, family. While it is not for children, I do "get" the show and understand its long life, since it's still as fresh as when it first debuted as an interlude on the "Tracy Ullman Show." I do not allow it to be viewed by the children, and they understand that it's not yet for them as their parents have explained this to them, as do I if they ask questions.

I have friends who do not like "Jimmy Neutron" for children, but for it's target age, it's a very entertaining show that's based upon some good principles of friendship and triumph over adversity.

Some programs, however, are kiddie soap operas, and I just cannot stand those, like some of the Disney offerings. Even if my nieces and nephews are technically allowed to watch some of those shows, I will do something else with them, such as take them skating, or to a movie, or out to dinner because I just don't like the shows or their messages.

EDIT: Oh, and "Max & Ruby" is a funny show sometimes, but I, too, wonder where the parent rabbits are and why the grandmother rabbit just happens to be walking down the street all the time. "Barney" is also aggravating, especially now with the other dinosaurs that have come to life, not to mention the feature-length "movie" DVDs that children seem to like at certain ages. I have suffered through them, and I don't even have kids! LOL

Old 01-04-2009, 01:28 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
I've always been a fan of the Brit kids shows. Teletubbies were a hoot before I had kids. I also love Brum, Big Garage, Postman Pat and the Fireman guy (can't remember his name). Also love Pingu. Can't stand Charlie & Lola though, Lola annoys me like Caillou does most of you guys. Never understood the allure of Dragon Tales, like Max & Ruby, where are the parents??? The only thing I like about Higglytown Heroes is the theme song by They Might Be Giants.

My kids are starting to like selected Monty Python skits and they also dig The Red Green Show from Canada. I think their favorite cartoon is the Mr. Men Show (another Brit import). I think it's hysterical too.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:45 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
I completely disagree. Allowing that to be on, for CHILDREN to see, is condoning the behavior. Of COURSE you are teaching them, they are watching, and believe me, they are learning. If you think they aren't, you are fooling yourself. I definitely teach my son...and one of the ways I teach is restricting inappropriate material/media. And he knows why...and we talk about what is allowed and what isn't. Sorry, but I see the differences in kids everyday...I can tell who watches what at home just by the conversations they have and the language they use. I'm glad you have had success with your method, but I prefer mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV