Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 10:27 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,589,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
While MrClose objects to this question, I think it's a valid one related to the NCIS television show. African-Americans represent 26% of the U.S. Army, which is exactly TWICE their representation in the population as a whole. The number of African-Americans in the Navy is somewhat less (around 20%), still exceeding their representation (13.1%) in the population*.

One might ask if the producers of NCIS have a responsibility to portray that accurately. I would respond in the affirmative. But I have a cousin who had a 30-year career in NCIS and he thinks the show is so laughable overall, it's not surprising the racial make-up of the characters would also be inaccurate.

One special irony about the lack of racial diversity on the program: the highest ranking character is the African-American. While black people over way overrepresented in the service, the one segment in which they are not is in the top ranks. A far fewer portion of African-Americans are awarded high ranks in all branches of the service, so while it is not impossible that the head of NCIS would be an African-American, it's far from likely. And, yes, I do realize that the current director of NCIS is a civilian, not a member of the Navy. NCIS does have civilian members but even many of them, including my cousin, joined NCIS as civilians following retirement from the Navy. One might also factor in that metro Washington, DC, contains one of the largest African-American populations in the country, so it's likely that support personnel are more likely to be African-American than if NCIS was headquartered in, say, Minneapolis or Phoenix.

* http://www.armyg1.army.mil/hr/docs/d...%20profile.pdf
Looking for facts in fiction.
I never understand this.

It's a TV show. Don't like it, don't watch.

Hey, I'm betting that vampires, werewolves and zombies are an even smaller percentage of the overall population and yet look at how over-represented they are on TV these days.

It's a travesty, I tell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 11:20 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,086,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Looking for facts in fiction.
I never understand this.

It's a TV show. Don't like it, don't watch.

Hey, I'm betting that vampires, werewolves and zombies are an even smaller percentage of the overall population and yet look at how over-represented they are on TV these days.

It's a travesty, I tell you.
LMAO, TL. Don't forget witches too. They certainly are under represented now that Bewitched is no longer on the air.

Don't start the racial crap here. Go to the political forum or somewhere where someone might care. Shoo.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:11 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,811,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
While MrClose objects to this question, I think it's a valid one related to the NCIS television show. African-Americans represent 26% of the U.S. Army, which is exactly TWICE their representation in the population as a whole. The number of African-Americans in the Navy is somewhat less (around 20%), still exceeding their representation (13.1%) in the population*.

One might ask if the producers of NCIS have a responsibility to portray that accurately. I would respond in the affirmative. But I have a cousin who had a 30-year career in NCIS and he thinks the show is so laughable overall, it's not surprising the racial make-up of the characters would also be inaccurate.

One special irony about the lack of racial diversity on the program: the highest ranking character is the African-American. While black people over way overrepresented in the service, the one segment in which they are not is in the top ranks. A far fewer portion of African-Americans are awarded high ranks in all branches of the service, so while it is not impossible that the head of NCIS would be an African-American, it's far from likely. And, yes, I do realize that the current director of NCIS is a civilian, not a member of the Navy. NCIS does have civilian members but even many of them, including my cousin, joined NCIS as civilians following retirement from the Navy. One might also factor in that metro Washington, DC, contains one of the largest African-American populations in the country, so it's likely that support personnel are more likely to be African-American than if NCIS was headquartered in, say, Minneapolis or Phoenix.

* http://www.armyg1.army.mil/hr/docs/d...%20profile.pdf
When and why did I object?
I don't even know why the question came up?

In case you didn't know .. mrclose is NOT 'White'.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:04 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,667,554 times
Why does this have to turn racial? The Director of NCIS is African American and they have an Israeli agent who happens to be the biggest badass on the team. Is this a case of "damned if you do/damned if you dont? Hell on top of that it spun off a show that has a bigger badass African American than any of them.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:41 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,530,152 times
I'm in the target group.
I don't notice the blur
I think Mark Harmon is gorgeous.
I'm jealous of Pam Dawber.
Race should not be an issue.
It's fiction, not fact, so I'm not surpised it's not too legally accurate (and Harry's Law is?)
It's my favorite show pretty much as I've never missed an episode (nor did I miss an episode of JAG).
I love NICS: LA too.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:18 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,384,045 times
NCIS Los Angeles-sat their saying BS on the episode in which they were under cover on a ship. Wish I knew what type of cell phones they had that could work on a Navy ship at sea and inside the hull of a steel ship.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
NCIS Los Angeles-sat their saying BS on the episode in which they were under cover on a ship. Wish I knew what type of cell phones they had that could work on a Navy ship at sea and inside the hull of a steel ship.
This is a thread about NCIS, dave, not NCIS Los Angeles.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:01 PM

862 posts, read 1,636,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
This is a thread about NCIS, dave, not NCIS Los Angeles.
Can't rep you again for awhile but THANKS. 2 totally DIFFERENT shows. I like NCIS but not the other one.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:09 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,589,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Off-topic. But again, who cares? It isn't a documentary.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
Can't rep you again for awhile but THANKS. 2 totally DIFFERENT shows. I like NCIS but not the other one.
Me too, serate. IDK why I don't like the other one but I just don't. I have watched a couple of season finales and then the begining of the new season but I just new can get inerested in the LA one. I chomp at the bit waiting for NCIS though. I can not get enough of it.

Btw, ty, for past reps and the nice thought about another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV